Skip to main content
Topic: Hornady Precision hunter 143 ELD X Load (Read 1042 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Hornady Precision hunter 143 ELD X Load

Reply #15
Sooo sorry for the late reply!!! I got called away for work for a bit.
Thanks too all for the replies.
The first time I went out too test loads  I did use a crony but I did not use it on the factory loads.
I made it out last night and did some factory loads and discovered where I started was slightly faster than factory, so going too make some loads tonight covering a lower charge range.
My first batch of reloads covered 41-42.2grns. (going up by .3) Tonight I will try 40-41grns and see what happens.

Thanks again too all for the tips.

Reply #16
Marine: So what powder is giving you the best group if you dont mind answering?

Thinking at some point of trying the eld-x but so far have only shot the regular nosler accubonds of which i'm getting to shoot really well.
Sorry I'm so slow in reply Hotshot. Going through my data showed low es/sd with imr 4350 with 40gr vel.2622 and 1/4'' group. another with 42gr vel 2762 and under 1/2''. The latter too hot for me I think but no noticed pressure issues. Also had some good loads with H4350  41.8 grs vel 2677.  The imr load had a big jump (.080) to keep pressure down and the H load .020.  I had problems with consistency using the ELD-X but I think its more my loads than the bullet. I find the easier bullets for consistency are the 140 Sierra game king and the Berger 140 VLD both of those are always in the 1/2'' range using H4350.

Reply #17
Marine: Thank you so much for your reply- Its greatly appreciated!!!  And you also answered another question with out me even asking- I actually have some 140 Sierra Game Kings I've been wanting to shoot and from your post I think I"ll do just that with the new 6.5 creedmoor i'm having built by Alamo Precision Rifles.

So thank you X-Two!!!  ;)
Marvin

Reply #18
I had different results with the 140 Sierra game kings. Never could get them to shoot good.
Grant

Reply #19
I had different results with the 140 Sierra game kings. Never could get them to shoot good.
It might just be that a given barrel doesn't like a bullet. I have had bullets that in hindsight I lost a lot of effort in trying to get good groups but to no avail where others get great results. The 140 GK shoots tight in my rifle with different charges weights and jumps varying .060 where as he ELD-X and GMX are problematic and full of flyers. The 129 SST shoots well and responds to changes with consistency that I can deal with. The 140 SST is another finicky bullet and 140 VLD shoots great with a short jump but is junk with longer OTL. I hate the thought of changing barrels and having to start all over and am tending to pick nodes with lower velocities to lengthen barrel life.

Reply #20
 That is sound wisdom right there!
 I really was pleased when I found 4 loads that shoot very well in my rifle within the first 500 rounds . They are kind of warm but I shoot blasting ammo that is much milder. It hits close enough that its not a problem. And is a bit easier on the throat.
  I do a bunch of off hand and sitting and kneeling practice.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Reply #21
I have done quite a bit of load development with my creedmoor. It is a Browning X-Bolt with a 22" barrel. I have found that 45 to 46.5 Grs. of R26 give me 2600 to 2750 FPS with a 143 ELD-X bullet. The loads are soft shooting, no signs of pressure and group under 1 MOA. I have tried these loads using Lapua and Hornady brass. Usually shoot best .010 to .020 off the lans. H4350 also shoots well, but can't get it about 2550 fps.

Reply #22
R26 is pretty slow burning maybe the ELD-X needs slow and I should try something slower than H4350. The only thing I have in stock is IMR 4831. Anyone tried that?

Reply #23
Marine: So with the Sierra Gamekings, have you had good results starting around .020 thousands off the rifling or do they usually require more of a jump.. Just curious on where a guy might be best to start at?
Marvin

Reply #24
Marine: So with the Sierra Gamekings, have you had good results starting around .020 thousands off the rifling or do they usually require more of a jump.. Just curious on where a guy might be best to start at?
Best groups were .020 but it grouped pretty good out to .050. It preferred velocity in the 2650 to 2680 range using charge near 41.5 gr. of H4350.

Reply #25
Marine: Thanks again for the info! I've had good luck with Nosler Accubonds between 2730-2770 so its nice to know that the Gamekings like to be slowed down a little to 2650-2680 fps. i'll try just that when I get to shooting them- Might be a few months but i'll send you a personnel message and let you know how things go..

Again- Tons of Thanks  ;)
Marvin

Reply #27
I am using: 140 Grain Regular Nosler Accubonds
Marvin

Reply #28
Thank you!