Skip to main content
Topic: TORQUE SPEC. FOR THOMPSON/COMPASS 6.5 CREEDMOOR (Read 61 times) previous topic - next topic

TORQUE SPEC. FOR THOMPSON/COMPASS 6.5 CREEDMOOR

Greetings,
Just got my first Thomson Center in 6.5 Creed. The owners manual says when reassembling the barrel action bolts, to just make them snug, so I sent Thompson an e-mail yesterday requesting the torque spec. Customer service (Veronica) responded this morning, " that is proprietary information that the company does not disclose".  :o

Given it is proprietary information maybe no one except Thompson knows what it is, but if you did I sure would appreciate knowing it.

THANKS,
teis

Re: TORQUE SPEC. FOR THOMPSON/COMPASS 6.5 CREEDMOOR

Reply #1
If you can determine the thread pitch of the screws, you should be able to find a maximum torque spec from a chart.

Snug is somewhere between zero and maximum torque.

Experiment.

Re: TORQUE SPEC. FOR THOMPSON/COMPASS 6.5 CREEDMOOR

Reply #2
Your torque wrench instruction set likely has a chart of recommended torque by screw size.

As flyer said, snug is anywhere between the screw first showing added resistancen and max torque.

Nonetheless, some torque should be applied to ensure that the screw is actually tight rather than at a rough spot.  I will sometimes choose a setting somewhere between half and two thirds id the hole is metal.

Be warned, however, that torquing beyond snug by feel could cause thread stripping if the holes are cut in plastic.  Many of us have stripped the trigger guard screws on Savage plastic stocks thinking thay it gets the same torque as the others.