Skip to main content
Topic: Peterson and Alpha brass- Chambering problems (Read 253 times) previous topic - next topic

Peterson and Alpha brass- Chambering problems

Anyone have any issues with Peterson and Alpha cases chambering after sizing and seating after 1st firing? The sizing die is doing its job forming the cases. At this point in the reloading process the case will chamber. I suspect after seating the bullet, the neck is too thick for my chamber. Just wondered what you are doing?
"Happiness is a warm gun".

Re: Peterson and Alpha brass- Chambering problems

Reply #1
From what I have read on here I think you can get the peterson brass with a thick neck. Not sure about the alpha. If you got the thick neck brass you have to turn the necks down I think.
Grant

Reply #2
I've been using Alpha brass in non-factory barrels  without any issues.  What is your neck diameter before/after loading?

Bob

Reply #3
I will check neck diameter on factory, Hornady loads and the Alpha and Peterson this week. Again, I suspect my problem is the thicker neck cases causing my problem. I was just curious if anyone was have this issue with their barrels when using the Peterson and Alpha.
"Happiness is a warm gun".

Reply #4
Peterson brass is nice, but can be a  pain when you order different batches.

The first small primer batch I received (not the “official” fat necks) have Palma stamped on them, but the necks are considerably fatter than Hornady. With a 290 bushing they measured 294, which is a snug fit in my chamber. I ended up turning them all down to 290.

The next batch I received did not have the Palma stamp (still SRP) but were considerably thinner. No neck turning required.

24” Bartlein, 41.8 H4350, Berger 140 Hybrids, 2775, SD 5, ES 13, 1/4 MOA

Reply #5
Anyone have any issues with Peterson and Alpha cases chambering after sizing and seating after 1st firing? The sizing die is doing its job forming the cases. At this point in the reloading process the case will chamber. I suspect after seating the bullet, the neck is too thick for my chamber. Just wondered what you are doing?

My buddy had some of the original Alpha brass and the necks were too thick for his factory Savage. It was causing pressure issues early and he didn't want to turn necks.  He called Alpha and they gave him new brass in return for his brass. They make the necks thinner now so turning isn't required. Call Alpha and I bet they will hook you up.
RPR 6.5 Creedmoor
Bergara 6 Creedmoor

Reply #6
I went out to the shop and measured some of the loaded and unloaded once fired Alpha brass that I have.  I purchased this about two months ago, so it is pretty close to current production.  For the mandrel sized unloaded brass, the neck was 0.2915 and the loaded neck size was 0.293.  This is getting close to the max spec of 0.295 but I have not had any issues in the Criterion Barrel that I use with this brass.

Bob