News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Custom Rem 700 build

Started by CaptGrumpy, April 08, 2018, 03:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptGrumpy

I think I figured this new bastard out!
It will be a Stainless Steel Remington 700 Magnum Long Action receiver in a Bell & Carlson stock with an adjustable comb. I will send the receiver to my favorite local gunsmithm to blueprint my action, to incled installng a side bolt release and bushing my bolt for the firing pin.
After a he finishes there I am going to sit in on setting the bareel and head space it with the go/no go gauges and the finish off the chamber with the finish reamer as the barrel is an X-Caliber 23 inch Sendero profile in 300 Win Mag.
I purchased the Surgeon BDM bottom metal and plan on putting this in the Bell & Carlson Long Range Sporter adjustable comb stock if it will support the barrel profile. Hopefully B&C can do the barrel channel for me and add a second stud on the fore end for me.
The plan is to top it with the Vortex Viper HS )T 6-24X50 that should get her in the next couple of weeks. It has been on order since  February 23rd direct from Vortex.
I happen to have Vortex matched medium height rings, a spare 20 moa rail and a Jewel trigger laying idle for this project.
If I am lucky, I wll finish this rifle for around $2200- $2300 pus what I have wrapped up in new brass and bullets  and dies (Thanks to the sale at Bullets.com for saving me some money).
I plan on changing out some stocks this summer. I have a brand n ew Savage 270 WSM That would be awesome with a new B&C stock and a hinge plate. I hate Savage's plastic stocks.                                                                   
Chris
Yup! That is a 6.5 in my saddle scabbard

azdak

Sounds like a great build.    Been on a bit of a run with 700 builds myself.  Just gotta love an action with so many options.

About the only thing I'd ask about is the barrel length.   She's going to have a bark and you're going to give up some velocity with the slow powders that caliber generally likes.     I've always been of the view that the reason to go to a 300WM is that it does what a 30-06 will do or a 308 just a whole lot further.   Chopping barrel length is giving up some of that long range smash.     Nothing wrong with doing that if it fits your purpose and what you want.     (But I might be biased.. I put a 29" on my 28 Nosler...)

I'd also just ad one bit on the BC stocks.   I have a couple of them that are now sitting in a bin.   A few guys I know that build rifles have stopped using them because B&C QC has gone downhill.   Not sure exactly what they are seeing, but for that money I'd take a hard look at Grayboe/ KRG or others.   

Have fun.  My custom .223 just came back and I'm anxiously awaiting the triggers to get back in stock so I can finish it properly.

CaptGrumpy

Azdak,
I ended up ordering a stock from McMillan. Having a stock with an adjustable comb is critical when getting a custom stock for me. The B&C stock I would have liked does not support a Sendero barrel profile

And I do not think a 2 inch reduction in length is going to cause enough velocity loss to cause any adverse effects on any shots inside 1500 yards. The proof is in the load data.
Chris

CaptGrumpy

Load datais for a 24 inch barrel. Velocity loss for 2 inches of barrel should only be 50-100 fps. I will be using H4350

Chris

CaptGrumpy

I got my rifle back today and all I need is for my stock to get made at McMillan which will be done in late August or early September.
Test firing went well.

Chris

Velvetant

CaptGrumpy

Chris

Aussie65

I like it!!
Any plans to cerakote it ? Or you leaving her raw?
Don't look down on people unless you're helping them up.

dadajack

Beautiful barreled action you got there.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

CaptGrumpy

Quote from: Aussie65 on May 31, 2018, 02:30:22 AMI like it!!
Any plans to cerakote it ? Or you leaving her raw?
I like her buck naked. Nothing a rattle can won't fix if SHTF

Quote from: dadajack on May 31, 2018, 05:50:56 AMBeautiful barreled action you got there.
Thank you Jack! My stock is in production at McMillan and I am patiently waiting for it to arrive in late August-early September.
In the mean time I need to recover from losing my best dog to cancer. Going onto day 5 and I still cannot focus. I passed on shooting this weekend. The funk is bad
Chris

Aussie65

Quote from: CaptGrumpy on June 03, 2018, 01:33:51 AMI like her buck naked. Nothing a rattle can won't fix if SHTF
Thank you Jack! My stock is in production at McMillan and I am patiently waiting for it to arrive in late August-early September.
In the mean time I need to recover from losing my best dog to cancer. Going onto day 5 and I still cannot focus. I passed on shooting this weekend. The funk is bad
That's a bummer mate. Sorry to hear that.
Don't look down on people unless you're helping them up.

jvw2008

My heart goes out to you Capt. That's a tough loss to deal with. It seems to help to think about the good memories and not focus on the recent pain.

CaptGrumpy

Going to make a few floats down the American River here and see if tossing the fly to some steelies will help with the funk. End of day 5 and the great memories were our everyday life together. He would jump in bed and lick my face every morning and end the day the same way. He lived to hunt especially squirrels but dove and pheasant were the norm and he even brought me my first and only wood duck that I had ever shot and had mounted. When I brought that home he had a look of being perplexed as he was sure that we killed that sucker! He stared it down for a few days until he was sure that the duck was harmless. I was planning on joining the guys to go shoot squirrels at the ranch up north  but it just seems too soon without Buddy.
Chris

CaptGrumpy

Quote from: jvw2008 on June 03, 2018, 07:54:12 AMMy heart goes out to you Capt. That's a tough loss to deal with. It seems to help to think about the good memories and not focus on the recent pain.

I am doing a bit better now but it is those great memories that make me cry. That damned dog was my best friend. He could hold his piss all day if we went fishing offshore. We would run 25 miles out for albacore in the boat or just a few miles for salmon or spend the morning fishing the SF bay for halibut. He was also an upland bird & duck hunting fool. He was also the kindest dog with small children.

Buddy is gone and the squirrels had their moment of joy till the other day! I popped 4 of them buggers and my lab brought them in for me! first shots since before losing Buddy and the pellet rifle is back in action
Chris