News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

6.5 Barrel erosion rate?

Started by ALL THE WAY, August 18, 2017, 09:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALL THE WAY

Thanks for all the great comments on barrels.  I have a Mod 10 Savage in .223 that I built last year that is due for a barrel swap.  I am looking for the right replacement before I consider a rebarrel of my Mod 12 6.5CM.  Without going into custom guns, I have standardized on Savage because I like their factory features.  I once swore by Rem 700, but I have found that I can buy a Savage with the  features that I desire for about the price of the upgrades to the Rem 700 to get it to the same level. I like the ability to swap barrels without going to all the trouble of setting up my lathe and possibly ruining the barrel or having to pay someone else to do it.  I have seen that at least one of the barrel mfgers has done the savage barrel nut thing for Rem 700s.  Has anyone tried this?

Danbonzo

Quote from: ALL THE WAY on August 20, 2017, 01:11:33 PMThanks for all the great comments on barrels.  I have a Mod 10 Savage in .223 that I built last year that is due for a barrel swap.  I am looking for the right replacement before I consider a rebarrel of my Mod 12 6.5CM.  Without going into custom guns, I have standardized on Savage because I like their factory features.  I once swore by Rem 700, but I have found that I can buy a Savage with the  features that I desire for about the price of the upgrades to the Rem 700 to get it to the same level. I like the ability to swap barrels without going to all the trouble of setting up my lathe and possibly ruining the barrel or having to pay someone else to do it.  I have seen that at least one of the barrel mfgers has done the savage barrel nut thing for Rem 700s.  Has anyone tried this?

Many run prefits with great results. The popular ones are Shilen, Criterion, and McGowan. Personally I'd go Shilen without pause..

Any smith should be able to spin you a blank for a barrel nut setup, but for what that'l cost on average (blank+labor) $650+, I would probably just have it shouldered.
Patriot Valley Arms does a $h!t ton of barrels for Bighorn TL3 actions which uses the same thread pitch as Savage so he could easily get you setup for a prefit. Last time I spoke with Josh about 2 wks ago he had a decent supply of MPA (Spencer) and Rock Creek blanks.
Greg at Bugholes offers Bartlein prefits for $500 which is a great deal imo considering a Bartlein 5r blank will run $320 minimum anywhere you can find them.
RIP Chris Cornell

ALL THE WAY

Thanks Danbonzo:  I have already decided on the Shelin.  The price is right and the quality is fine for me.  I don't know of any competitions in the middle Ga. area and I can't travel long distances to compete, so I just play the game with myself and try to improve me and do better than other me does.  That may sound strange, but as far as I can tell, I seem to be in the middle of handgun heaven.

Danbonzo

All the way, Shilen's are hammers. Good choice
RIP Chris Cornell

jvw2008

Quote from: ALL THE WAY on August 21, 2017, 06:13:43 AMThanks Danbonzo:  I have already decided on the Shelin.  The price is right and the quality is fine for me.  I don't know of any competitions in the middle Ga. area and I can't travel long distances to compete, so I just play the game with myself and try to improve me and do better than other me does.  That may sound strange, but as far as I can tell, I seem to be in the middle of handgun heaven.

Get over to Cool Acres Sporting Camp (Swainsboro) and look up Eric Allread - he will have you shooting on a bench in a heartbeat. If I lived in central GA I would be there every weekend. ????

bowfishn

mikecr at http://forum.accurateshooter.com has an interesting Excel Spreadsheet for estimating barrel life.
I would download the file here but it won't let me do xls files.

MLN1963

Bowfishn

I'm sure you have already looked, but I'll ask anyway, which powder gives the best compromise of bullet speed, temp insensitivity and barrel life?
RPR 6.5 Creedmoor
Bergara 6 Creedmoor

dadajack

Quote from: bowfishn on August 22, 2017, 07:13:39 AMmikecr at http://forum.accurateshooter.com has an interesting Excel Spreadsheet for estimating barrel life.
I would download the file here but it won't let me do xls files.

Download it, export it to text, and then upload it. Or paste a screenshot into paint and save it as a JPG or PNG.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

bowfishn

Don't know if this will work, I changed the extension and now just try and change it back to .xls
I checked it out it works.

bowfishn

Quote from: MLN1963 on August 22, 2017, 12:49:00 PMBowfishn

I'm sure you have already looked, but I'll ask anyway, which powder gives the best compromise of bullet speed, temp insensitivity and barrel life?
H4350 has low Explosion heat rate and good speed with low grains of powder so it is pretty good, alot of the other temp stable powders have higher heat from explosion rate and they require as much or more powder to get the same speed.
I guess that is why so many use it good speed low erosion great accuracy.
Heat of explosion rate is found on QL but is also online at various sites so you will need to Google it.
You will need to know pressure as well, QL estimates all this and you need to load it in the spreadsheet.
It is not 100% but it does give you an idea of what is happening.

Danbonzo

Quote from: jvw2008 on August 21, 2017, 07:45:54 AMGet over to Cool Acres Sporting Camp (Swainsboro) and look up Eric Allread - he will have you shooting on a bench in a heartbeat. If I lived in central GA I would be there every weekend. ????
If I lived in central GA I wouldn't leave the house in summer mos without an AC strapped to my back and a generator in tow. I don't know how they do it, I mean good gawd, it feels like you're standing a mile from the sun! ????
RIP Chris Cornell

jvw2008

Naw. I spent four years there. I'll deal with humidity and heat. Humidity and New England cold is a killer!

dadajack

I don't shoot a lot during the summer down here.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

brantfredrickson

I had an interesting experience in 308Win with a Savage 10 and a factory chrome moly barrel. I measure the cartridge base to lands with a Hornady  OAL tool after each box of 500 bullets and logged it in a notebook. How fast my lands disappeared related heavily on the powder I used. The following was a summary of my experience.
IMR 8208XBR - .001 in/100 rounds
Varget - .001/200 rounds
AR-Comp - .001/500 rounds.
I went about 9500+ rounds and re-barreled with a 6.5 Creedmoor Stainless Steel Criterion Barrel. So far my experience is
RL 16 - maybe .001/450 rounds.
AR-Comp and RL16 are both Bofors powders from Sweden with similar temperature and deterrent treatments I believe. Hopefully the RL16 will give me an edge on barrel life.

MLN1963

Anyone use AR Comp in Creedmoor
RPR 6.5 Creedmoor
Bergara 6 Creedmoor