Skip to main content
Topic: the mental midget that i am... (Read 69 times) previous topic - next topic

the mental midget that i am...

yesterday I got home from work a little early so I decide to shoot my 6.5 criterion barreled creedmoor… I start off at 300 and its shooting great... so move on to 430 yards and again shooting just like I would want it too... hitting right where my aimpoint was... all in all sent 30 rounds down it with the last 15 connecting on a 2 inch plate at 430... couldn't be happier right... wrong … this is where me thinking im a genius comes in.. when in reality im a mental midget...lol.. so last night I go out in my building thinking I will replace the 30 rounds I had shot earlier... I have 40 cases cleaned and annealed... check my base to shoulder measurement and its the same as a fired case as it should be since I hadn't sized them yet... heck they will chamber without sizing the body... lets skip that step and go straight to sizing the neck with the lee collet die... size on just as I have a 1000 others and think hell lets tweak that a little.. give the top cap of the die a half a turn... yeah that's bound to be better... so I size my cases necks and trim and prime them... ready for powder... again the genius I am says hell my barrel has probably sped up since the last time I loaded so lets drop a tenth on the charge weight.. shot half moa yesterday bound to be better today... so I charge a case and seat a bullet... damn that didn't feel like im used to.. little harder to seat since I give her a little more neck tension... better change the seating depth a fuzz to account for it.. yeah that will help... so I load 40 rounds with numerous tweaks that I just know will help.. again the genius I am... ::) 

go out this morning and check to see just how damn good my loads are going to be.... hell I might shoot a group at 430 with them all touching... but lets start at 300.. crank the scope up to where it should be and let one fly.. humpf a couple inches high... cold bore is what I tell myself... let another one fly and back down to where it should be but right a couple inches... humpf … the wind is blowing a little... that's what I tell myself... little heat in the barrel now so lets go for a great group... 3 down range and a 2 inch group... that damn plate was swinging pretty good... f$#k it.. move to 430.. it will shine there... send 3 down there... 4 inch group low and right... jesus you mental midget !!!  why cant you leave well enough alone... why would you change everything about your load that shot 1/2 minute groups or better the day before.... the answer... I am a mental midget and I cant help it.. I know better but I cant help it...lol.. if you make changes to your load folks do them one at a time... I will put my load back to where it was and it will shoot like it did... little lesson for me... im no genius... :D
Grant

Re: the mental midget that i am...

Reply #1
That's like the age old issue of trying every bullet and powder there is until you have a shelf full of half pounds of powder and part boxes of bullets you'l never use.  I was looking at my powder museum the other day thinking I might fertilize the rose garden with it.

Reply #2
Fixed it..  :-[

Aim point . That 1/2 inch hole. 300 yards. 3 shots.
Grant

Reply #3
Fixed it..  :-[

Aim point . That 1/2 inch hole. 300 yards. 3 shots.

What did you do? Go back to the original setting and powder load? lol
I had a dream! Free at last, Free at last! Moving to Idaho

Reply #4
Gman,  my guess is most of us are always looking for something just a little bit better.  Adjusting a "pet" load to get better yet is always on the table for me, that is right up until hunting season!
You will have to be careful with the plate with the hole in it though.  With the right wind you can send your whole group though that hole and it will leave you wondering. 😁
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #5
That's exactly what I did capt.. MN I have done that before and thought I had missed till I sent one to a little painted dot in the center of the plate and erased it. Now I know if I can shoot through that hole everything is right including me.. 😁
Grant

Reply #6
 :o  :))

Chris