Skip to main content
Topic: 6.5 creedmoor coyote loads (Read 9871 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 6.5 creedmoor coyote loads

Reply #15
Somebody should write a paper on how hunting styles evolve with wildlife. I grew up out west where some folks used a stand, but most of the people I knew stalked. Here in the east, stalkers go hungry with the cagey white tails and all the leaves on the ground during the hunting season.
There is strength in truth.

Reply #16
Regarding your original question, this link was posted here a while back -- if you reload, may help you with bullet selection.  (I earmarked it for myself with the intent choosing a bullet that minimized fur damage).  Lot of great info in this.
6.5 bullet tests

Reply #17
Thanks for that link. It looks like it will help out. I'm not a reloader but my buddy is and am planning to reload some in the future.

Reply #18
For dog hunting with factory ammo - I'd think std amax would prove worthy. Should be minimal damage and very accurate - might give some a try, pretty easy to find them online.

Here's a picture of a GMX I recovered from a whitetail opening day. Deer was facing me, shot in him the chest - bullet was against the fur right in front of his right ham:

[media id=543 type=preview align=center caption="bullet gmx"]

Pretty hard to find, and when you do they are typically 8-10 per box higher than std amax. But they work;

Reply #19
the gmx is a thing of beauty. The article sure makes a case for barnes as well
There is strength in truth.

Reply #20
Around here in Saskatchewan the 6.5 creedmoor is not very popular and finding ammo is a little harder. Not every place stocks. I have found a couple dealers that do stock a few different brands. Even cabelas in saskatoon only had 4 boxes in stock.
Only thing is if see it ....I buy it!
Save up brass and reload it in future.

Reply #21
Barnes clearly have a reputation and great round - GMX atleast you can buy factory ammo for the non loader.

DD - how is online shopping and shipping to Canada? I buy pretty much all my ammo online. One of the things you'll find with this caliber while it is gaining popularity. Common stores are going to stock the most common rounds. You can typically find better deals (even with shipping) online. Especially if your in a situation to buy 200 rounds (case) at a time.

Reply #22
I have found a store that had a 200 round case before I picked up my rifle. After I got my gun I went online to order that case and couldn't find it! Just my luck! Lol. They ship it right to my post office box so that makes it handy.
It is around here. I may have to drive in a two hour radius from my house to a store. But not a big deal.
I'm not to worried about not finding it or I wouldn't have got this caliber.

Reply #23
that's the spirit - I bought my first CM a couple of years ago back in the scare and ammo was stupid expensive. My first case was 120's GMX (still have 9 boxes that I currently hunt with) shortly after I started buying up amax rounds.

Now when I find a good deal I just buy it and add to my stock, it'll eventually get shot! ;)

Glad you like it

Reply #24
Congratulations on your first Creedmoor deer Deaddog!!!
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Reply #25
New to the group. Been hunting 6.5 on deer found the 143 ELD- X best on deer but looking for a load for coyote. Have a browning x bolt and a tikka tx3

Reply #26
Somebody should write a paper on how hunting styles evolve with wildlife. I grew up out west where some folks used a stand, but most of the people I knew stalked. Here in the east, stalkers go hungry with the cagey white tails and all the leaves on the ground during the hunting season.

I grew up in northern Wisconsin absolutely nothing I enjoy more than stocking in snow “taking a track” was my favorite hunting style.