News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Brass

Started by swampthang, February 06, 2016, 05:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampthang

Hey guys.
It was brought to my attention yesterday something I need to clear up before I confuse somebody.

When prepping my brass for a match I DO NOT USE  A BRONZE ,SS, OR ANT METAL TYPE OF BRUSH ON ANYTHING !!!
he saw where someone,on my recommendation was thanking me for the advice. I haven't found the post yet to adress  it.
I don't even have anything in my room except iosso  or Sinclair's caliber specific  NYLON  brushes to clean the bore and polish the necks of my brass.
Not sure if I posted it wrong or they took it the wrong way but don't won't to lead anybody down the wrong road or damage anything.
I use m pro 7 products with a iosso blue nylon brush and use sinclair's black nylon brushes on the necks. To whoever misunderstood me I APOLOGIZE  and want to clear it up for you. I'm very sorry if.it was my fault, thanks guys.
"kill em all"

dadajack

I did raise an eyebrow when I read that post about you recommending bronze or copper brushes for bores... Didn't sound right.

Ok, technically both eyebrows raised because I cannot raise just one eyebrow. It infuriates me. I can only turn my tongue over in one direction too. That's all I'm going to say about that.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

swampthang

Dad.
Did I mislead or make you mad ?
Didn't quiet understand your reply. If I did.I'm sorry, but you know me well enough to know how picky I am and when I heard about it I wanted to clear it up as soon as I could.
"kill em all"

Danbonzo

RIP Chris Cornell

swampthang

Well there's the proof. I GOOFED UP.
IT WAS A BAD BAD MUSTAKE ON MY.PART AND I TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY.
But I DO NOT EVEN OWN ANY THAT ARENT NYLON.
HOPE I haven't caused him harm and do want to clear this up.
"kill em all"

Capt

So, let me get this straight; you don't use a copper bore brush with some 4-0 steel wool wrapped around it to "polish" the inside of the necks on your Brass, correct?  After reading the post that was referenced , I did that little procedure to ALL my new 6.5 Hornady Brass.  Is the Brass now ruined, or is there something I could do to correct the mistake?

P.S.  I couldn't find a "pulling your chain" emoticon.

eas1949

Capt,

Yes it is all ruined.  Send it to Velvetant for proper disposal.

Eric
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

swampthang

Quote from: Capt on February 06, 2016, 07:58:36 AMSo, let me get this straight; you don't use a copper bore brush with some 4-0 steel wool wrapped around it to "polish" the inside of the necks on your Brass, correct?  After reading the post that was referenced , I did that little procedure to ALL my new 6.5 Hornady Brass.  Is the Brass now ruined, or is there something I could do to correct the mistake?
I do use 0000 steel wool wrapped on a iosso nylon brush chucked in an electric drill to polish the inside of my case necks.
But I don't own a brush other than iosso  or Sinclair's nylon caliber specific brushes to clean my guns with.

P.S.  I couldn't find a "pulling your chain" emoticon.
"kill em all"

Kansaswoodguy

I use 0000 steal wool on the outside of the cases, necks and the trimmed edge I don't even tumble or clean my creedmore brass at all besides this. I spin the brass with a drill using a Lee case trim chuck. Works great for small batch reloading.

swampthang

I polish the inside of my necks to hopefully gain a TEENY advantage by getting the most consistent bullet release I can possibly get. Does it work?
I think so, till I hear or try a Better way. ????
"kill em all"

Wilson1911

Does everyone not have a good amount of carbon inside their necks like me ? I'm not sure if its from annealing or reducing my washing time down to ~1 hour or so. I  do find that if I wash my brass for 3 hours it starts to go away. With a quick 1 hour wash, it just cleans most of the case up, but the necks stay tar black on the inside. I also seat with dry lube.
I am not the biggest, nor the fastest.  I will not fall short or stray off my target. I am a surgical instrument, who lives in the X ring. I am the 6.5 Creedmoor with deadly precision.

rardoin

I do similar....deprime, anneal, wash (more of a rinse in warm water with a touch of Dawn, rinse with water, rinse with alcohol, dry and load.  If I am only processing a small amount of test brass (which I keep separated from actual match ammo) I blow out the cases after deprime and wipe off the exterior with a alcohol wetted rag.  I only wash to get primer residue and dust off cases exterior so my dies do not get scored.  Since I quit removing the carbon in the necks my velocity has less SD over a match as evidenced on several Labradar loggings.  I also use Imperial graphite as an internal neck lube prior to bullet seating.

hotshotr2

Guess I must be the laziest reloader around as I never tumble my brass, just wipe them off, reprime and trim if necessary?? I'm on my 6 reloads with Nosler 6.5 creedmoor brass and everything is holding up and the gun is shooting 2 in one hole and one touching.

Probably not the right way to do things but how I've been doing it for 35 years........
Marvin

swampthang

We all have different expectations and degrees of accuracy. Hunters with a savage and box hornady ammo will shoot very well and they'll be very satisfied.
Then there's us NUTS, that really are obsessed with tiny 10 shot groups at a long way.
And then there's me.
I use imperial dry neck lube . It can be messy but I feel it gives me consistency.  I polish my necks like your wife's wedding band. A very shiny gold. Slick neck. Apply dry lube. Seat bullet. Looking at some more data. When I see numbers I may adjust.
"kill em all"

Nishon

Swampthang you say you dont use bronze or copper brushes to clean your bore,how do you get rid of carbon and especially copper?i use boretech carbon remover and boretech copper remover and they work really well but wouldnt a bronze brush normally remove it out better? You guys shoot competitions so yourll know better and i want to know if im been using the wrong cleaning methods all this time.please advise.