News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Hornady Vs Winchester 140 Grain Ammo

Started by DHuffman, July 06, 2015, 11:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHuffman

No scientific data here sorry. I've shot about 500 rounds through my creedmoor, all of them have been the hornady 140 Amax. Today I ran a box of the Winchester 140 HPBT through the gun and noticed more recoil, louder report & the winchester's were far less accurate than the hornady's.

I switched ammo while shooting at a steel target 1017 yards out. POI was aprox 20' short as well as 6' right. When I pulled the trigger and noticed the recoil and report I was figuring to be over not short and right.

I realize I'm not giving you guys any info to work with just wondering if anyone else has had this experience. My gun really likes the 140 Amax round but I figured I'd try the winchesters when Midway had them on sale for less than a buck a round in may.

A few pics, my makeshift 1000+ yd range thats my creed on the closer table, a couple three shot groups when I was getting the scope dialed in and a shot of my 1000 yd steel with a few marks on it.         
[mergedate]1436242547[/mergedate]
[media id=1234 type=preview align=center caption="unnamed (2)"][media id=1235 type=preview align=center caption="unnamed"]
[mergedate]1436243039[/mergedate]
[media id=1236 type=preview align=center caption="unnamed (1)"]
Dave

Aussie65

Welcome Savageg
The Winchester Creed ammo hasn't made it down here yet. So can't comment on it.
When I first got into the creed I bought factory Hornady to get some brass. Winchester will have to go a long way to beat the Hornady stuff I reckon.
Hornady factory ammo has always shot extremely well for me in the past. i haven't shot factory ammo in recent times tho.The Amax is an easy bullet to load for the creed too.
I will be changing back to the Amax 140 when I run out of Bergers. They are too sporadic with supply here unfortunately.

Nice groups too BTW
Don't look down on people unless you're helping them up.

txaggie

slightly less accuracy in other calibers has caused me to be skeptical on there performance in what is a performance caliber. I shoot only factory ammo which means I have limited choices, with the accuracy I have in hornady for my rifles there isn't much reason to venture - especially with Winchesters pricing.

DEW_0341

My groups with the factory amax 140's are at .44 avg and the winchesters avg 1.15.... Huge difference
FIRE FOR EFFECT/SHAKE AND BAKE

DHuffman

I wasn't really set up to shoot groups yesterday but the accuracy seemed to be a little all over the place compared to the Hornady's

Looking like I bought the winchesters for the brass though at this point. Like I said the only reason I bought them was the deal Midway had going on them at the time. 
Dave

The Marshall

Few things surprise me when it comes to new ammo, but the Hornady ammo for the 6.5 CM is something that is doing what it was designed to do---give match-grade accuracy from a factory load. It is odd that the Winchester ammo is not up to par with Hornady's especially when you consider the design team for Winchester ammo knows what they're competing with. Saving a dollar or two on ammo isn't going to make sales better when word gets out that the cheaper stuff is not as good.

I know every barrel is different and there are probably some out there that will do as well, if not better, with the Win ammo compared to Hornady's line.  Got it. Now will retailers carry the Win ammo? We'll see. Meantime, I'm loading my own stuff and it all goes in Hornady brass----Hornady's bullets, Noser's bullets, Swift's bullets, etc.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.