News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Hello

Started by Hector, April 16, 2015, 05:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danbonzo

Quote from: eas1949 on April 18, 2015, 05:50:38 PM
Quote from: Danbonzo on April 18, 2015, 05:30:26 PM
Quote from: Hector on April 18, 2015, 05:17:31 PM
Quote from: Danbonzo on April 17, 2015, 01:31:12 PMNice. Don't see you fighting harmonics or whip with that lally column.

I hope that I've not made a mistake on going that large.
You said you're gonna shoot off a bench right?
Not like your dragging it around in a match.
 30" seems overkill (IMHO is all) but that you can easily cure if you aren't satisfied with the length, have a smith knock it down and recrown it.

But don't let Cold Trigger Finger cut it down!!!   ;D
Alaskan barrel lathe. LOL
[mergedate]1429398134[/mergedate]
Quote from: Hector on April 18, 2015, 05:58:22 PM
Quote from: Danbonzo on April 18, 2015, 05:30:26 PM
Quote from: Hector on April 18, 2015, 05:17:31 PM
Quote from: Danbonzo on April 17, 2015, 01:31:12 PMNice. Don't see you fighting harmonics or whip with that lally column.

I hope that I've not made a mistake on going that large.
You said you're gonna shoot off a bench right?
Not like your dragging it around in a match.
 30" seems overkill (IMHO is all) but that you can easily cure if you aren't satisfied with the length, have a smith knock it down and recrown it.

Yes, just the bench.
 I would have liked something a bit smaller like 1.250 for 5.00" then taper to 1.00" at the muzzle @30".  That was not available and I did not want to wait, so I got the big boy.
That's what I figured. Yes the MTU and M24 contours are popular. You can find .264 blanks but the popular brands and profiles are tough to find. Lead times for barrel orders are getting beyond ridiculous.
 In reality stiff barrels are inherently accurate, so could easily shorten it and knock a lb. (or 2)
Guys take 24" out to a mile with this cartridge.  That's what I went with cause I want portability and maneuverability also.
Hey don't sweat it you can always remove but not add.
RIP Chris Cornell

Aussie65

With a 30" barrel. It will make it that much easier to achieve nice velocity with less powder.
The best group I've seen posted on here was 1.25" @ 800yards. This rifle had a 28" barrel with a huge can on it.Shot in 25mph wind!!
The biggest headache with barrels over 28" is the rifles don't fit in a  lot of safes.
Like Dan said if you find you don't like it. Dock it & recrown.
I'd stick with it could be a good thing IMO
Good luck
Don't look down on people unless you're helping them up.

Danbonzo

Quote from: Aussie65 on April 18, 2015, 06:27:30 PMWith a 30" barrel. It will make it that much easier to achieve nice velocity with less powder.
The best group I've seen posted on here was 1.25" @ 800yards. This rifle had a 28" barrel with a huge can on it.Shot in 25mph wind!!
The biggest headache with barrels over 28" is the rifles don't fit in a  lot of safes.
Like Dan said if you find you don't like it. Dock it & recrown.
I'd stick with it could be a good thing IMO
Good luck
So true about the safes.
And cases.
Shoot it Hector, never know, you may find it perfect for your purpose and love it.
RIP Chris Cornell

Hector

Thanks again everyone.
[mergedate]1429554517[/mergedate]
What about a muzzle brake? With the 1.250 straight barrel I'll be using is a brake needed? Is a brake need at all with this caliber?
One good turn.....gets all the covers.

Aussie65

Quote from: Hector on April 20, 2015, 03:09:55 PMThanks again everyone.
What about a muzzle brake? With the 1.250 straight barrel I'll be using is a brake needed? Is a brake need at all with this caliber?
I'm running an MTU which is one of the heaviest tapered barrels
Recoil is mild as
You should be fine with the axle barreIMO

Hector

Quote from: Aussie65 on April 20, 2015, 07:22:55 PM
Recoil is mild as

Even with your words of encouragement, I sense you think I could have made a better choice.
 If so, what would that have been?

devildogandboy

Recoil is mild as

Hector, definitely don't need a brake with that barrel. just the weight will absorb most recoil. i have a 26 varmint barrel that tapers to about .815 at the muzzle and don't get much recoil at all. i can shoot it all day comfortably. enjoy.

Bruce
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.

Aussie65

Quote from: Hector on April 21, 2015, 05:02:38 PM
Recoil is mild as

Even with your words of encouragement, I sense you think I could have made a better choice.
Barrel profile is personal choice.
I like heavy barrels if your bench or prone shooting.
My mate Brad has a Bartlein axle on his 6.5 x 284 shoots really well. No brake either.
It will be fine.
Don't second guess yourself. ;)

Danbonzo

6.5CM is not an ass kicker cartridge, so with your combination of barrel and using it at bench will you need one, realistically no, but hey you may want one for the cool factor. I'm sure someone has done it but majority of brakes are made for profiled barrels so it may invoke a small challenge to find one that looks at home. Maybe somebody can chime in?
Btw The need/want debacle is the bayne of my existence when it comes to my toys.. Lmao.
RIP Chris Cornell

Hector

Quote from: Aussie65 on April 22, 2015, 03:28:28 AM
Quote from: Hector on April 21, 2015, 05:02:38 PM
Recoil is mild as
 :edit: :edit:

Barrel profile is personal choice.
I like heavy barrels if your bench or prone shooting.
My mate Brad has a Bartlein axle on his 6.5 x 284 shoots really well. No brake either.
It will be fine.
Don't second guess yourself. ;)

"Don't second guess yourself. ;)"
 I have started to do just that, but I'm going ahead on with the original plan.

Danbonzo

Have you started barrel fittment yet?
[mergedate]1429738065[/mergedate]
Why are you second guessing yourself?
[mergedate]1429738146[/mergedate]
Do you feel like your settling for a barrel you really didn't want cause of the contour?
RIP Chris Cornell

Hector

Quote from: Danbonzo on April 22, 2015, 04:30:13 PMHave you started barrel fittment yet?
Do you feel like your settling for a barrel you really didn't want cause of the contour?

Let me answer these in order.
1. The barrel should arrive at the gunsmith today, no work done yet.

2. The thing weighs 11lbs. It will be over 10lbs. chambered and cut. Now I'm thinking things like, "that's a lot of weight hanging off of the action, can that be good"?

3. No, I like it ok, but would not have gotten it if there where more choices available.  Something closer to what I wanted.

Danbonzo

Quote from: Hector on April 25, 2015, 11:07:16 AM
Quote from: Danbonzo on April 22, 2015, 04:30:13 PMHave you started barrel fittment yet?

Let me answer these in order.
1. The barrel should arrive at the gunsmith today, no work done yet.

2. The thing weighs 11lbs. It will be over 10lbs. chambered and cut. Now I'm thinking things like, "that's a lot of weight hanging off of the action, can that be good"?

3. No, I like it ok, but would not have gotten it if there where more choices available.  Something closer to what I wanted.
Go with it then. But if your gut is screaming- (its not what I really want, but all I could find) and it's hasn't been worked yet it could be returned is all I was suggesting. I think I'd shorten it to 24"-25" to lighten it up just because it's so thick. Stiff barrels can be extremely accurate. Only thing you'll loose is velocity not accuracy. All depends on how deep you plan on going with it .
RIP Chris Cornell

txaggie

Oh I think your like many of us, probably over thinking it. When you get this setup I'm sure your going to find it's pretty hard to screw it up. She will be a shooter - everything else is just personal preference.

Great thing about it is - worst case you are just completely disappointed. You can get your money out of it and start over again. :)

Guns are not a bad investment;

Hector

Quote from: Danbonzo on April 25, 2015, 03:22:16 PM
Quote from: Hector on April 25, 2015, 11:07:16 AM
Quote from: Danbonzo on April 22, 2015, 04:30:13 PM
Go with it then. But if your gut is screaming- (its not what I really want, but all I could find) and it's hasn't been worked yet it could be returned is all I was suggesting. I think I'd shorten it to 24"-25" to lighten it up just because it's so thick. Stiff barrels can be extremely accurate. Only thing you'll loose is velocity not accuracy. All depends on how deep you plan on going with it .

I'm going to go ahead and "getter done".  Life is about compromise right? I've even ordered a stock. It's a Dave Tooley style benchrest. It has the correct barrel channel and I liked the style. I seen it in an old post from @swampthang. I think it's the one in his avatar. 
[mergedate]1430065909[/mergedate]
Quote from: txaggie on April 25, 2015, 03:32:41 PMOh I think your like many of us, probably over thinking it. When you get this setup I'm sure your going to find it's pretty hard to screw it up. She will be a shooter - everything else is just personal preference.

Great thing about it is - worst case you are just completely disappointed. You can get your money out of it and start over again. :)

Guns are not a bad investment;

Ya know, that's what I've been doing, "second guessing my self". This is a big outlay of cash, and not for just the gun. As you all know, new caliber means new everything that goes with it. I just don't want to be sorry because of some bad choices. This custom gun stuff is new to me...... I'm good to go.