Problem With Chambering In Savage Lwh

Started by 1SG, March 16, 2014, 08:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1SG

I posted a few days ago in Gen Disscusion, My Savage LWH in 6.5  has a problem in chambering rounds. They kind of hang up, the round seems  not to be going straight into the chamber. I have to back off or pull the bolt back back slightly to get the round to center then it will go in. On some occasions it will chamber without hanging up. I can also push the bolt harder and the round will chamber. The bullet tip is not affected or does the brass show  any marks on it.  The bolt will close without having to put any more than normal pressure, and will open and extract the round without sticking,or should I say not like a over charged round would make it stick. I have made dummy rounds so even unfired rounds extract the way they should also fired rounds arn't causing a sticking bolt.  When a round hangs up , it's almost completely in the chamber except fot maybe 3/8 inch. Any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks

devildogandboy

can you get a pic of the hangup? maybe th e bolt is riding up on the case or the rear of the mag needs to be propped up. I didn't catch if you had centerfeed or staggered feed.

Bruce
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.

1SG

Don't know how to post pictures. Bolt does not ride up on case. The round will go into chamber with bullet tip touching the top of the chamber and then comes down as round is mover forward int the chamber. As i said then it hangs up with aprox. 3/8 of the round not in the Chamber(Barrel). Back  off or pull bolt back slightly and try pushing forward and the round enters the chamber. Kind of think it centers itself when I do this.

Trent

I have this issue with my LRP as well. If I just back up the bolt slightly and push forward again the round feeds in fine. I think it's a combination of the Creedmoor's sharp shoulder and the blunt barrel shank on Savages. The cases get slightly jack-knifed (cock-eyed) on their way in.

1SG

That sounds like whats happening to me. I wounder if there is something that can be done. Others don't seem to have the problem. I don't know but I wounder if adjusting the action screws would help. I read some where that the action screw adjustment can affect chambering a round. I haven't tried it yet.

devildogandboy

just ran 4 rnds thru my model 11 with DBM and had no problems with chambering. when I install my mag I place the rear portion in first and then snap the front in. don't know if this will help or not but just trying to help.

Bruce
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.

1SG

Thanks for trying to help. I do replace the Magizine rear first. I  called Savage, they said to send it in. The guy thought it might be a short chamber. Well I told him the round doesn't line up when cycling  a round. So I guess I'll be sending it off. Hope they can correct the problem and it won't take too long. I bought the rifle for a Sheep hunt and stand a VERY good chance of drawing a tag this year. The hunt would be Sept-Oct. I would need to re sight in when it gets back, so I hope I'll have it fixed and time to shoot some before the hunt. If not I'll use my Ruger no1B in 25-06. Its a tack driver but HEAVY!

Lostcoast

I have found Savage Customer Service to be pretty quick in their repairs, especially if you give them a call and ask for an update. Good luck with your rifle.

bseibert

Probably a rough ridges in the shoulder of the chamber when reamed. I would have a local guy pull the barrel and run a finishing reamer down and take a whisker more off and reset headspace. Don't even need a lathe if you wanna do yourself. If your reloading only all the time and never buy store stuff, have the smith set your headspace to your full length die within .001" . Give m some resized not loaded brass.

first strike

i have 3 savage varmint actions in creedmoor rifles,,2 shilen select match and a criterion..polished feed ramp etc. and have the exact same issue..seems almost like when the mag lips release the round it just just bangs around with nothing to guide it into the chamber..same fix,,back off bolt and then chamber..one has cdi metal and that didn't help..if you ever find a fix please let me know,,
regsrds,,Rich

1SG

Took the rifle to a local gun smith that is well known for his work and let him look at it before I was going to send to Savage. He found the chamber was somehat rought, he polished it out, also that the Mag needed to be twieked in, to line up the cartridge . The mag was releasing the cartridge a little to early if that makes any sense. Now the cartridge feeds in smoothly .   I have 2 Magizines for the rifle both needed to be adjusted.   I have ran several rounds through it now and it chambers every time smoothly. Oh He also checked the head space it was good. Tightened the action screws to 40lbs. Savage said 35lbs . I don't know if this would make any differance in the chambering.

SpecialK

Thanks for adding the fix. I too have the same problem and will be taking mine to a local gunsmith now for a look.

bseibert

I use home made magazines that are single stack design and can cycle as fast as I can pull the trigger. that makes sense that a straight drive into chamber as well as the retention lips on the mag holding on and guiding etc.. Was your cure.