Skip to main content
Topic: To clean or not to clean.... (Read 325 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: To clean or not to clean....

Reply #15
I go to each match with a clean bore. I fire my fouler/sighters,
then go for record.....It's all part of the mental game.

Couldn't agree more!
Dave

Reply #16
Not all matches allow sighters. I never go to a match without a well fouled bore.

Reply #17
Not all matches allow sighters. I never go to a match without a well fouled bore.

Me too.  All of my matches do allow a blow off period, firing into the berm sans target, or true sighters but I still like to get at least 5-10 shots in the tube prior.  I do have some barrels that are 'on it' after the second shot but I have one, in particular, that did not group really well until 20-30 shots in.  I have yet to have a barrel that did not group in the .3 MOA's well into the 80-100 rd count.  But, I shoot F-class so I don't need any more than .3 MOA.

Reply #18
Don't shoot competition.  Shoot for antlers and meat.  Anal/OCD about a stick that is going down range.  Clean to metal a couple of weeks out and foul/check till it shoots back in.  Tee tiny little groups with the hunting load.  Wipe them down,  case them up and prepare to travel.  While wife and step-daughter are sleeping at the destination camp, I am wiping bolts, cleaning lenses on scopes/binos/rangefinders.  Old Army habits part of my DNA.  Failure is not an option.  Getting long in the tooth and doddery so a miss is in my future.  
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #19

True enough, I wasn't thinking about that. I'm used to a 6 minute unlimited sighter period.
Dave

Reply #20
It's reasonable to heed what Rob said about matches that do
not allow sighters but, shame on you if you do not know this
before hand. Like I mentioned about the mental game.  Now
our clubs steel matches do not allow for sighters but a shooter
is free to come forward to express the need to foul his bore.
In this case, we have a separate 100 yard range this is done at.
Keeping my bad Kharma intact since 1952

Reply #21
I agree if it is good, maybe it should be left alone.  Although when I used to wear the OD green suit that my Uncle required us to wear, I can remember taking the M14 into the shower because of the extreme mud, ice, snow, etc.  Then dry the sucker and yourself and then thoroughly clean the bore receiver and all parts, and oil it.  Then you can put on your jamies and lay your weary head on the pillow.  So in the military, PM to the firearm always came first, but circumstances are different now - we are not out in the field in extreme weather.
In adversity remember to keep an even mind, train hard and fight easy.
                            Horace and Alexander Suvorov