Skip to main content
Topic: Wheelin and dealin.. (Read 126 times) previous topic - next topic

Wheelin and dealin..

Had a little local gun show here this weekend ..I had a marlin xl7 308 that I hardly ever shot . So I pulled the scope off it and took it too the gun show. To see if I could sell it or trade it. Ended up trading it straight up to a guy for a new savage model 12.  22-250 with a bull barrel. We both thought we got the better deal. Lol. I know I can build of the model 12 and couldn't off the marlin.. so I brought it home and cleaned it good and sent a handful of rounds down it with cleaning between them. Did a quick 10 shot ladder wit 69gr smk's and looks like it wants to run at 3360 fps. Its early in the game and I'm sure that will change. Will tinker with it for now and turn it into something cool down the road. I did give the black stock a paint job.
Grant

Re: Wheelin and dealin..

Reply #1
You’ve been a busy boy this weekend! I like your paint job. How did you getting the mottling effect?

Reply #2
I used a old sponge that had a sos pad on one side and sponge on the other. Turned out pretty cool .
Grant

Reply #3
I've got a flat dark earth factory 22-250 barrel you can have when you roast that one. 😂
Dave

Reply #4
Hard telling what it will become dave.. appreciate the gesture ..🤔
Grant

Reply #5
Little better pic..
Grant

Reply #6
We should have a vote on what Grant has to turn it into,
once he takes the barrel off.  The most vote wins.

25 Creedmoor

Reply #7
If the barrel turns out to be good, I would restock it and call it good!

Reply #8
its going to shoot good I believe... I shot a inch 3 shot group with it at 300 yards with a 52gr. eldm that I had loaded for a old 22-250 that my uncle had gave me a year or so ago... wish it had a faster twist rate where I could shoot heavier pills ..its a 1 and 12 twist so that keeps it around a 60 gr. pill or less... been looking at them ornx chassis by mdt… may put it in one of them or a thumbhole boyds stock... but for now just gonna shoot it as is...
Grant

Reply #9
its going to shoot good I believe... I shot a inch 3 shot group with it at 300 yards with a 52gr. eldm that I had loaded for a old 22-250 that my uncle had gave me a year or so ago... wish it had a faster twist rate where I could shoot heavier pills ..its a 1 and 12 twist so that keeps it around a 60 gr. pill or less... been looking at them ornx chassis by mdt… may put it in one of them or a thumbhole boyds stock... but for now just gonna shoot it as is...

If I go down the chassis wormhole it will be a TAC21

https://mdttac.com/us_en/catalog/product/view/id/355
Dave

Reply #10
I really like the looks of that and just how it sits. You did a very nice “start” on the rifle....