ballistic tips from bullet to bullet of a few
      Thousandths and its frustrating to not
       Be able to seat them the exact same depth

The rcbs seater die i have seats from the
     Tip and its just no good

Thanks in advance for any info

Re: Rcbs gold metal seater die

Reply #1
Fluff for the ELDM bullet you need a VLD seating stem for proper fit. Regardless of how well the stem fits the bullet however, you are still going to get some variance due to inconsistencies in bullet structure (even within the same lot of bullets). Using a micrometer seating die can help you over come that issue.

Reply #2
Thanks jvw
  Do you use a vld seating die. If so which one.
   I definitely see a variation in
    The hornady match bullets. 

Reply #3
If you measure, you will find variations in weight, length, base to ogive, and bearing surface. It’s a nature of the beast in all commercially manufactured bullets  including Bergers. I use either a micrometer Redding comp seating die or a micrometer Wilson seating die. We typically consider the distance between the ogive and the lands as one of the more important aspects of proper seating. With a micrometer die, seat your bullet approximately 5k longer then your goal, then measure actual CBTO - if you find you are actually are in fact  5k long then turn the micrometer in 5 and finish seating. If it’s actually only 3 long, then turn the micrometer in 3 and finish seating, etc. You should be able to get EVERY  round within 5 ten thousandths of your desired jump to the lands.

Reply #4
I was looking at thr redding and forester dies.
I have a lee 6.5 sesting die and have to say think
Theirs a lot of play in it.
 I was trying to measure every match bullet
  From base to ojive after weighing then separating
  Them in exact groups. Weigh each case separating
  Them into exact weight groups.
   Weigh the power on two scales to get
    The powder as close as possible to be
     A consistent weight.
      I have been trying to seat exactly the same depth
      2.840, but has been difficult as you mentioned
       Because of variation in the mfg of the bullet.
        I have been measuring from cbto and their
         Is always some variation, as you mentioned.
          Drives me crazy. 

Four rounds. Three will be almost in same
            Hole , but one will be half inch from
            Other one. I have been focusing on
             Inconsistency in loads. Maybe its
              Just me.

Reply #5
FWIW
All of the bullets I have measured vary by a few thousandths in over all length and base to ogive measurements.
Seat a little long, measure, then seat to your desired length. The micrometer seater head makes this easy; no guess work.
IMO Using the cartridge base to bullet ogive measurement for each round will yield more consistent results.

So far I am finding that the Redding Competition Seating Die seats with the least amount of runout. The concentricity is spot on.
Need to check how the bullet sets into the seating plug. The standard has been working with the ELDm bullets in 6.5 and 7mm. If there is a little play then the VLD seating plug (which I am using in 30 cal) will make a better fit with no play at all. This is a key component to making concentric rounds. Most seater plugs do not fit the longer high b.c. bullets well. there is a lot of side to side play that causes inconsistent runout.

My RCBS GM seating die for 6.5 PRC didn't seat 147ELDm concentric nor did my Hornady seater with the 147 plug installed. Too much runout.
So I bedded the RCBS seater plug to the 147 eldm bullet shape. Loaded a dummy concentric round them put bedding goop into the seater plug, assembled the die and screwed it into the press. Ran the round up into the seater and left it over night in the up position. Now I can get predictable runout with the 147 loaded in the 6.5 PRC. The groups downrange on paper are small and consistent now.

German Salazar published a paper on seating dies; he did find the Redding Competition seater to be the best for producing low runout rounds.

Reply #6
On the other side of the coin, I mostly use the Lee seater
with floating plug. Sold off my Redding. These are my thoughts
on the subject. First, I might add that each case going into a
die has a consistency problem of it's own. With a floating plug
that is properly mated to the bullet, it finds it's alignment and
pushes truer into the case. The further you can get your plug
down on the ogive, your results will be more consistent. Like
we say, the proof is on the target.....
Keeping my bad Kharma intact since 1952

Reply #7
On the other side of the coin, I mostly use the Lee seater
with floating plug. Sold off my Redding. These are my thoughts
on the subject. First, I might add that each case going into a
die has a consistency problem of it's own. With a floating plug
that is properly mated to the bullet, it finds it's alignment and
pushes truer into the case. The further you can get your plug
down on the ogive, your results will be more consistent. Like
we say, the proof is on the target.....

Did you have Lee make you a plug for your sample bullet or modify the plug yourself?

"The Bullet Seating die is equipped with a floating bullet seating plug for maximum accuracy. It is designed to seat all shapes of bullets with minimum deformation. If you attempt to compress the charge, it may deform the bullet an objectionable amount. It will be necessary to modify the bullet seating punch to fit the bullet. If unable to do it yourself or have it done locally, we can do it for you. Send $14.00 along with a sample bullet, and order “Custom Seating Plug for Sample Bullet” ($8.00 for the bullet + $6.00 for shipping)"

Reply #8
Did you have Lee make you a plug for your sample bullet or modify the plug yourself?

I have the means to do the work my self. I made one from scratch
for the 150 SMK. I'm a good 1/4" further down from the tip then
what a stocker will do for you, and gave it a much wider surface
band so you don't ring the bullet. Key for depth seating repeatability
is that bullet surface, band width, in my opinion.
Keeping my bad Kharma intact since 1952