Skip to main content
Topic: Troubles with my 20" Faxon Big Gunner (Read 96 times) previous topic - next topic

Troubles with my 20" Faxon Big Gunner

BIG groups, vertically strung with Hornady Superformance 129 SST, and Hornady Precision Hunter 143ELD-X. Is my barrel length just not working with these factory loads that are more geared for 24"?

Re: Troubles with my 20" Faxon Big Gunner

Reply #1
Some barrels need a longer break in.
And try some other ammo... barrels can be fussy.

Reply #2
This is a western Ne hunting rifle; muleys, whitetails, and antelope, hence the 20" Big Gunner. After getting 2 Black Hole firearmry lemons, I did a cerrosafe mold of the chamber the rifling starts at the same point all the way around, neck and leade both look good, much too my surprise given how rough the body and shoulder area were. Brand new shiny brass came out looking like they had been turned with 80 grit. I polished it out, since the neck size and leade looked good, rather than send it back. I think I only have 40 rounds of Superformance 129SST plus 5 rounds of Precision Hunter 143 ELDX, but were talking 1.75 MOA. I dont even have Creed dies yet, figured I would shoot some factory ammo and build up a supply of brass.

Reply #3
I would try some Hornady 140 gr. BTHP. I've shot a few boxes and always do pretty good with them. If anything, it will get you on the way to breaking that tube in.