Skip to main content
Topic: Ruger american predator  (Read 209 times) previous topic - next topic

Ruger american predator

I just bought a ruger American predator in 6.5 creedmoor and the bolt sounds like a zipper when moving it back and forth. My question is is there any way to fix this?

Re: Ruger american predator

Reply #1
Have seen You Tube videos of guys using bore paste to smooth them out.  I won't. So accurate I want to keep the positive karma.  Keep mine cleaned and lubed but these little guns can take some abuse and like an AK, they always function.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #2
My former 6.5 CM Predator gave me 1/2 MOA with 140 gr. Hornady ELD-M ammo. Just amazing.
Then I sold it and bought a beautiful and beautifully accurate 6.5 CM Browning X-Bolt Pro which also gives me the same accuracy with the same ammo. Now to try 147 gr. ELD-M.

BTW, my RAP accuracy was enhanced with I put a Timmy trigger on it. Best $$ you can spend on this rifle and should be the 1st mod you do. And the Boyd's Classic laminated stock I put on it made it into a much higher grade rifle. The difference in feel and look makes that rifle seem far more expensive than those two mods' actual cost. But keep the plastic stock for rough trips or when you need the lightest weight.

Eric B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

Reply #3
What Eric B. said.  Have worked on over a dozen for friends/family.  The Timney is a plus.  Or, if you like the bladed trigger, remove some coil to reduce pull weight.  Wife's and stepdaughter's in Boyds, but I like the factory stock stiffened in the forward portion with Bondo fiberglass epoxy or Marine Tex. A great rifle to tinker with and personalize.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #4
Thanks for the advice.  I just got the gun last weekend now I'm looking for a scope.  And someday I would like to get the magpul stock.  The timney trigger is something I do want to Look into. I can't wait to get out and shoot it.

Reply #5
Dodgeram99 I'm pretty sure you'll love it once you shoot it. Mine is the same way but the rifle shoots like one that costs 2 or 3 times as much. I've seen YouTube videos of guys using a polish on the bolt to do away with that but like sportacus said I'm not touching it.