Skip to main content
Topic: 130gr hybrid ocw testl (Read 272 times) previous topic - next topic

130gr hybrid ocw testl

I thought Inposted this a couple weeks ago but cant find it.

I am going to switch to hybrids for prs.  I started the test 2 weeks ago.  I did the follow up test today.  I will do a searing depth test soon.

OCW TEST

6.5x47 Lapua. 28
28" Bartlein barrel,1 -8 progressive twist
Sig Tango 6 at 30x
Varget powder
37.0 - 38.5 gr in .3 increments
Fx120i with auto trickler all charges weighed exactly to .01
Cci 450m primers hand primed
Primer pockets not cleaned
130gr Berger otm hybrids sorted by length, .001
5x lapua brass,
Necks turned to .012 ( 21st century lathe)
annealed each firing
Cases cleaned with alcohol wipe down only
Trimmed with WFT, chambered and debured
Full length resized, whidden bushing die on a T7 press
Shoulders bumped .002
.003 neck tension
Willson in line seater and arbor press
Each round measures to .0005

Shot at 100 yards.
Atlas bipod front, proctors rear bag off bench.
35 degrees
Humidity 57%
DA of -1500
Overcast, and flat light
Wind at 6 o'clock, 2-4 mph
Shots were taken 30 seconds apart.
No shots showed pressure signs.

Based on what I see, I am going to re shoot from 38 gr to 38.7 gr in 1 gr increments

1st pic is of the target after the test.

2nd pic is of the data I collect.

3rd pic is of the 65guys ocw test  spreadsheet.   I've never had great luck with it but still always plug the numbers in.
The only thing better than me spending my own money, is my friends spending it for me

Re: 130gr hybrid ocw testl

Reply #1
Today I reshot 38.3 thru 38.8. Same stats as above. Temp a few degrees colder, the da a bit different.   

I think from this test I will load 20 at 38.5 and shoot from 600 and chrono at the same time.
The only thing better than me spending my own money, is my friends spending it for me

Reply #2
which charge are you going to load 20 of?
Grant

Reply #4
Great post of info, the only thing not mentioned was the color of underware you were wearing!   LOL, keeep up the great work!

Reply #5
The "old" timers on here taught me how to do it right.  You cant get good feedback if you dont give them the entire picture.

Dont see him on here much anymore but a big thanks goes to @Wilson1911  

Reply #6
Looks great Regnar.  It's nice when the data comes in and everything falls in line.  Excellent job!

Reply #7
I always hated homework, now I'm going to have to review this again and again, thanks Regnar :)

Good work.
Chris

Reply #8
It appears we all have a new watermark for detail.  That is impressive.  Did you sort the bullets by overall length or base to ogive?  Now I get to buy the tool to turn down the necks...
See you at the range.

Reply #9
It appears we all have a new watermark for detail.  That is impressive.  Did you sort the bullets by overall length or base to ogive?  Now I get to buy the tool to turn down the necks...

I usually do dor f class but did not bother on to do that for these.  Not sure exactly why but when I buy a bunch I will sort by length.

Reply #10
Nice!  I did a workup on a 130 gr as well.  The constraints to the testing were instead of Berger 130, because of the scarcity of the Bergers, tried the Nosler 130 RDF and due to the lack of H4350, I chose RL 17.  But the workup load stopped at 40.5 and the results were very good. 

Since then, the Bergers came in and I bought 300 of the 130 gr and a few 140s.  However, there is still a shortage of Berger 7mm.  Sigh...
In adversity remember to keep an even mind, train hard and fight easy.
                            Horace and Alexander Suvorov

Reply #11
Nice!  I did a workup on a 130 gr as well.  The constraints to the testing were instead of Berger 130, because of the scarcity of the Bergers, tried the Nosler 130 RDF and due to the lack of H4350, I chose RL 17.  But the workup load stopped at 40.5 and the results were very good. 

Since then, the Bergers came in and I bought 300 of the 130 gr and a few 140s.  However, there is still a shortage of Berger 7mm.  Sigh...
You should try being a Berger shooter here in Australia. We have no chance of getting any decent quantity. Fot hat reason I'm going to invest in Nosler RDF 130's. I have 400 on the shelf, so I'm optimistic. Good work Regnar