Skip to main content
Topic: Tree stands (Read 261 times) previous topic - next topic

Tree stands

What are you guys hunting out of, climbers, towers or other. this has been what I sit in for the last few years. these are old pics, they cut all my timber and i'm sitting in a cutover. bottom of my feet is 18 feet off the ground.

Re: Tree stands

Reply #1
This what I look at now.

Reply #2
Belt Fed I like your stand and set up on that cut. With the enclosure you can stay warm all day.  Did you build it?  Does it require guy lines to keep it from tipping?  I built a 13 foot tripod that I anchored with dog tie down anchors & rope. Soft ground made it too scary to wiggle in!

We use all of the above and more.  Climbers, ladder stands, tripods, and hang ons.  Some of our hang ons have full swivel seats,  those and others are constructed of re-bar with built in gun rails.  We like the strap on tree step (ladder style) and usually are set up at 20 - 25 feet.  Ladder stands are by far the easiest and safest to climb.  We used to climb limbs of big spruce & balsam fir but are starting to abandon those for safer options.  Our record high stand was 54 feet in a large white pine.  Scary to say the least but sort of like being up in a piper cub at the same time.  Most of the areas we hunt do not allow permanent stands and screw in steps are not allowed.  We also hunt clearcuts and open beaver swamps where "long" shots are fairly common (200-400 yards).  Not long for other places but for the big woods of northern MN & WI they are.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #3
Box blinds, tower blinds, tripods, pop ups and ladders on private property we either own/lease.  When we hunt Kisatchie National Forest also known as "gubmint" land in local vernacular, a climber or one of the small turkey seats because a stand can't be left in place over 24 hours.  Just acquired a property in Tennessee where I can shoot from the bedroom window.  Was a paratrooper and a helicopter pilot but now that I have gotten old, like to keep my butt close to the earth.  Don't bounce like I used to when I hit the ground. 
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #4
It has a screw in anchor inside the stand about three feet in the ground and cables going to the inside four corners. I have some bad news thou, a guy sent me a pic of it yesterday and it has blowed over and it looks bad. since they cut the trees it catches a lot of wind and it has rained so much that it pulled the anchor out of the ground. Me and another guy built the stand years ago. it has always been sturdy and very little wobble. ahhh  well, looks like i'll be headin there to see if it's repairable.

Reply #5
Be glad you were not up in it when the wind came up!
I've been scared to climb down a few times!
My guess is when you get it back up it won't fall down again.
Good luck
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #6
Be glad you were not up in it when the wind came up!
I've been scared to climb down a few times!
My guess is when you get it back up it won't fall down again.
Good luck
I just hope it's not busted up too bad to put up. I am 100 miles from there and a two hour drive. I just hate goin back down there for that.  But we have a guy with a portable welder said he would weld it up if it was broken. If it hadn't rained so much it wouldn't have blew over. it's done some serious raining all summer and winter long. the ground has not dried yet.

Reply #7
No tree. No stand. Just my trusty stool,a red brush crick hill, and a right of way. The posted sign brigade pushed me in there. It has worked out well though.

The view

Reply #8
Otter6,
Exactly how we hunt on the Kisatchie,  Can set up on a high spot with the wind in your face and do well.  That is a nice buck in the pic.  Lots of character and mass.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #9
Thanks Sportacus. He is my best 8 point to date. 143" gross. Those two bucks are brothers. Can't tell from the pics, but there are undeniable similarities. I passed on two pretty darn nice bucks this year in hopes of one bigger than last year's. No such luck.

Reply #10
Very nice bucks Otter6!
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #11
I dont huntveith a rifle.   It's either the smoke pole or crooked stick.   Almost all hunting is done from a stand.  40% climber,  40% hang ons, 10% blind and 10% ladder stands.

I spend about 80 days a year in one!!
The only thing better than me spending my own money, is my friends spending it for me

Reply #12
These are a couple stands I have.

Reply #13
Old pallets screwed together in a U shaped ground blind works well for my kids always a cross slat they can poke  the gun threw for a rested aim. I also have a tree lounge climbing tree stand way to easy to sleep in that thing.