Skip to main content
Topic: Forster Bump neck sizing Dies (Read 269 times) previous topic - next topic

Forster Bump neck sizing Dies

Thinking ordering these is there big advantage to Redding dies ?
Forster Bump Neck Sizing Die

Re: Forster Bump neck sizing Dies

Reply #1
Forster's are used by many here, and are well regarded.  Their is no advantage
using Redding dies.  Many think the Forster's are a step up.
I've been to their shop. First class operation and small enough
their customer service is first class.  You call and get someone
first time, every time.
Only one problem, you can only use their bushings.

Reply #2
Forster's are used by many here, and are well regarded.  Their is no advantage
using Redding dies.  Many think the Forster's are a step up.
I've been to their shop. First class operation and small enough
their customer service is first class.  You call and get someone
first time, every time.
Only one problem, you can only use their bushings.

I have two sets of Hornady's and had some RCBS dies.  But the Forsters I have are night and day above the other sets...I have.  The Micrometer Seating Die I have for the Grendel...?   I am getting another for the Creed.  Haven't really looked at the Reddings yet.  They have plenty of hype though.  I have talked to them (Forster) before on the Grendel dies and they were very helpful.

Reply #3
some things you should know about the forster shoulder bump bushing dies.. first off they don't size the body... after a couple firings on your brass the die will leave scratches just below the shoulder and body junction... it doesn't hurt any thing really but ugly to look at.. next to get consistent neck tension with a bushing die you about have to turn the necks to a uniform size... the variances in neck thickness will cause variances in neck tension... I bought 2 or 3 of these dies for different calibers thinking this would be a good way to bump the shoulder back without sizing the body... but with the unsightly marks it leaves on the cases and the fact that after a few firings the body needs sized any way... so these dies now collect dust on a shelf... no longer use them... I found the redding body die gives me more consistent cases from firing to firing..  in using this redding body die I had to have a die to size the necks... so not wanting to turn necks to get consistent neck tension with a bushing die I went with a lee collet neck sizer die that gives me consistent neck tension without turning the necks... then use a forster micro seater to seat my pills... not trying to talk you out of the die at all just wanting to inform you of what your getting...
Grant

Reply #4
Don’t think you can go wrong w either make. They both serve me well. To echo Ranger 188 only drawback w Forster is you need to use their bushings. Where the Redding can be used in Whidden dies as well.
RIP Chris Cornell

Reply #5
Glad you told me that Gman and Dan info I needed to know.  In Reloading 1.0 I neck sized only.  Now in Reloading 2.0 things have progressed quite a bit.  I eventually will neck turn I inside neck reamed in Reloading 1.0 that was the the thing at the time.  Need to do some more research.  Looks like Forster dies are scarce in the Creedmoor anyway.  I have a set of Hornady's Custom dies but I am going to give them to my other son.  They don't quite float my boat.

Reply #6
If you plan on neck turning whidden also makes a top notch click adjuster fl sizing die with or without bushings. I use a non bushing one for my 6mm creedmoor since lee doesn't make a collet die for it and the die works great.
Grant

Reply #7
If you know how much neck tension you want, you can order a custom honed FL sizer from Forster.
It's like $12.00 more.  As Grant mentioned, some FL sizers will scratch the case
and I had one do it, only if I didn't use enough lube and mine did it
just below the shoulder also.
I have a couple in different calibers and they work great.

Reply #8
If you know how much neck tension you want, you can order a custom honed FL sizer from Forster.
It's like $12.00 more.  As Grant mentioned, some FL sizers will scratch the case
and I had one do it, only if I didn't use enough lube and mine did it
just below the shoulder also.
I have a couple in different calibers and they work great.

Gregg it wasn't a full length sizer that scratched the case. It is that shoulder bump bushing die that did. It's not a fl sizer..it doesn't size the body.
Grant

Reply #9
Gregg it wasn't a full length sizer that scratched the case. It is that shoulder bump bushing die that did. It's not a fl sizer..it doesn't size the body.

Grant I thought you polished the inside of your dies and didn't have anymore problems with scratches?

I have never had to body size my cases after using a BBND. I pull an expander ball back through mine and to make sure the inside is round. It has light tension with the bushing I use. It seem to work just fine.

I tried a Lee collet die but didn't like the lines it left on the outside of the neck. I tried using a fine polishing cloth to round the edges of the cuts in the collet but it didn't get me the final result I was looking for. I don't feel I'm applying too much pressure on the handle. Not 25 pounds for sure. How are you handling that?
RPR 6.5 Creedmoor
Bergara 6 Creedmoor

Reply #10
I did polish the inside of the die and it help but still left some light scratches. As far as the Lee die goes if your leaving Mark's from the collet on the neck your squeezing it to hard. Doesn't take much at all to set the necks with the Lee die. I set mine to where once I can feel them little ridges with my thumbnail I back the die off just a smidge till I cant feel them ridges any more.
Grant

Reply #11
I did polish the inside of the die and it help but still left some light scratches. As far as the Lee die goes if your leaving Mark's from the collet on the neck your squeezing it to hard. Doesn't take much at all to set the necks with the Lee die. I set mine to where once I can feel them little ridges with my thumbnail I back the die off just a smidge till I cant feel them ridges any more.
Gman how did u polish the inside of the die?I have the same problem with mine.

Reply #12
Nishon I used some stuff I use for polishing chrome on my harley.its kinda like a super fine steel wool but made of cloth. Wrapped  some of it around one of the big chamber cleaning q tips and put it on a drill and run it in the die...
Grant

Reply #13
I like Forster gear and have quite a bit of it. Case trimmer, neck turner . coax primer seater, bullet remover, bench rest dies, ultra seater dies and full length sizers.
Have used redding and wilson f/l bushing dies as well

If I were to get another bushing die ( and I did ) (Whidden in 6.5 CM )  I would choose one that can go in different dies.

Forsters is a forster only product, and so if you end up with several calibers in the same size ( think 260, 6.5 x 55, 6.5 CM )  and you went down the forster path you would then have to keep buying their neck dies for each one.

I like that the bushings for Redding, Wilson and Whidden are all interchangeable.
Also with any of the above I am pretty sure you an use them as a shoulder bump die if you take out the bush.

Reply #14
Thank you for all the info.  I am still on fence leaning towards buying Forster and send my Grendel dies in with the Creedmoor and have them hone them out to 1.5 neck tension.  I realize these dies will only be the specific guns they are made for but it makes sense also.  Still need to understand the neck turning concept a little better in relation to the dies.