News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

cleaning brass

Started by Regnar, January 12, 2019, 09:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Regnar

Just finished turning 300 cases of 6.5x47.  I used to clean my brass with ss media but stoped cleaning brass 2 years ago and have put my rumbler away.

My question is will a ultrasonic cleaner clean the lube that is in and on the brass or do I need to dig out the tumbler? 
The only thing better than me spending my own money, is my friends spending it for me

Fuj

Quote from: Regnar on January 12, 2019, 09:47:21 AMJust finished turning 300 cases of 6.5x47.  I used to clean my brass with ss media but stoped cleaning brass 2 years ago and have put my rumbler away.

My question is will a ultrasonic cleaner clean the lube that is in and on the brass or do I need to dig out the tumbler?

Depends on what you use for a cleaning agent. Any grease
cutting, hot, soapy water would work. Some of the newer
lubes are water soluble. Which is your favorite lube ??

eas1949

I use an ultrasonic .    1/2 tablespoon of Dawn and 1/2 tablespoon of Lemishine.  That will remove all the lube as well as the carbon deposits.  I dip a cuetip in neolube 2 to lube the inside necks prior to loading.

Eric

https://www.micromark.com/Neolube-2-fl-oz-?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIifOXt53r3wIVDy9pCh14wQPNEAYYASABEgIEI_D_BwE
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

jvw2008

Eric is that a typo on the amount of lemon shine?

eas1949

Jerry,

No thats about what I use for the size of my cleaner.  Some cleaners are larger than others.  I would experiment with quantity depending on the size of your cleaner.  I rinse in hot water and then baking soda solution to neutralize the lemishine.  

Eric
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

jvw2008

With the NaHCO3 rinse I understand the amount now.

dnellans

what brass  did you turn and with what tool? i borrowed a buddies hornady turner and have zero confidence i could actually improve a neck with it...

DHuffman

Quote from: dnellans on January 18, 2019, 08:51:32 PMwhat brass  did you turn and with what tool? i borrowed a buddies hornady turner and have zero confidence i could actually improve a neck with it...

I've turned hundreds, possibly over 1000 necks with the Hornady Neck Turner. If you follow the set up instructions it does a very good job. Spin it just fast enough to make a clean cut but don't go crazy and take light cuts as in 1 click (.0005) at a time until you get to your target thickness on your first piece. After I get the first piece where I want it the rest are easy. I lube the inside of the necks to minimize scuffing. After you make the cut ease it off the mandrel and spin it again running a piece of 0000 steel wool over it to give it a little polish.

I'm sure there are better turning tools out there but I haven't felt the Hornady is holding me back. I'll be doing 300 pieces of 6 BR hydraformed to 6 BRA next week for my new comp gun. IIRC they will be .013 thick and I'll take these down to .011 for my .268 neck.

Try a few before you pass judgement on it I think you'll be impressed.
Dave

DHuffman

Quote from: Regnar on January 12, 2019, 09:47:21 AMJust finished turning 300 cases of 6.5x47.  I used to clean my brass with ss media but stoped cleaning brass 2 years ago and have put my rumbler away.

I quit cleaning my brass last summer. After I turn necks I do run them through the tumbler though to remove lube and shavings. From there on the get wiped down with a rag wet with brake cleaner or alcohol.
Dave

DHuffman

Here's a couple hot off the Hornady tool.
Dave

DellaDog

Plus 1 on the Hornady turning tool.

I had ZERO intention of turning my brass but Peterson necks are pretty dang thick. Bought the tool and turned 300 pieces and am very happy with the result.  For $100 bucks - it's a great tool.

DHuffman

Here's one cut of 25 off the light end of 300 pieces of brass. I didn't hit these with the steel wool so you can see the cutter marks on these.                   
Dave

Regnar

Quote from: dnellans on January 18, 2019, 08:51:32 PMwhat brass  did you turn and with what tool? i borrowed a buddies hornady turner and have zero confidence i could actually improve a neck with it...

I use a 21st century lathe.  Best there is.
The only thing better than me spending my own money, is my friends spending it for me

DHuffman

Quote from: Regnar on January 20, 2019, 10:41:18 AMI use a 21st century lathe.  Best there is.

I was going to order one this afternoon because my Hornady turning lathe gave er' up a little while ago.  Totally on me I let the arbor get dry as in didn't keep it lubed up. Locked it up solid so i took it apart and cleaned everything up, lubed it up and put it back together but the bushings in the head was too far gone. Pretty disappointed it turned out about 100 of the nicest pieces of brass I've ever turned today. I looked up prices for the 21st Century unit and about had a stroke, after I recovered I ordered another Hornady from Uncle Larry.

Now I'll have spares for the new one! 
Dave

Regnar

Quote from: HufD63 on January 22, 2019, 03:51:11 PMI was going to order one this afternoon because my Hornady turning lathe gave er' up a little while ago.  Totally on me I let the arbor get dry as in didn't keep it lubed up. Locked it up solid so i took it apart and cleaned everything up, lubed it up and put it back together but the bushings in the head was too far gone. Pretty disappointed it turned out about 100 of the nicest pieces of brass I've ever turned today. I looked up prices for the 21st Century unit and about had a stroke, after I recovered I ordered another Hornady from Uncle Larry.

Now I'll have spares for the new one! 

So $300 is to expensive? You already spent more than that on the two hornady. 

By once cry once.  Thst will save someone enough money to buy a full blown custom rig in not a lot of time!!!!