News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

FX-120i reloading scale jig

Started by gorillamotors, January 12, 2019, 07:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gorillamotors

I bought this FX-120i set up some time ago and it is really good BUT there are some things that needed fixing. First this top needs to be clear so that you can see what's going on so I just ordered a clear Lexan top from Area419 for it. Second is that it is a pain to center the cup every time so I made this jig from my 3D printer. If you guys want the stl file to print it let me know. Third is that the straw system should be updated and I am working on another 3D print for that.

Jim
Jim Harris
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid". Sgt Stryker

Learning One

https://www.area419.com/product/at-compkit-fx/
I believe you can order the parts separately and I think everything you want is available from them.

gorillamotors

Quote from: Learning One on January 12, 2019, 08:30:03 AMhttps://www.area419.com/product/at-compkit-fx/
I believe you can order the parts separately and I think everything you want is available from them.
My point being is why pay $85 for what I just printed out for $0.50 and it will work out just as well.
Jim Harris

jvw2008

Youe centering plate looks good gorilla. Which 3D printer are you using?

JASmith

For those of us that don't have 3-D printers, some UPS stores do have them and print using the customer's files.  Their prices also surprisingly easy on the walllet too.

Check with them to see which format is preferred.

gorillamotors

Quote from: jvw2008 on January 12, 2019, 09:15:19 AMYoue centering plate looks good gorilla. Which 3D printer are you using?
Prusa MK3
Jim Harris

gorillamotors

Quote from: JASmith on January 12, 2019, 09:45:26 AMFor those of us that don't have 3-D printers, some UPS stores do have them and print using the customer's files.  Their prices also surprisingly easy on the walllet too.

Check with them to see which format is preferred.
Didn't know that. Thanks.
Jim Harris

bikemutt

Quote from: gorillamotors on January 12, 2019, 08:38:06 AMMy point being is why pay $85 for what I just printed out for $0.50 and it will work out just as well.

I'll be the first to admit I have never even laid eyes on a 3D printer nor do I know how they work.

Just a quick search indicates your printer costs somewhere around $750, I guess if you have other reasons to own the printer then fair enough. It must also take some time to design something like what you did (very impressive BTW), I know what my time is worth, $85 to have everything done right and delivered to my home is a bargain :)
Chris

Regnar

Quote from: gorillamotors on January 12, 2019, 08:38:06 AMMy point being is why pay $85 for what I just printed out for $0.50 and it will work out just as well.

Plain and simple,

The billet is better.  Everything 419 offers as an up grade is better.  In fact, I wish Adam offered the auto throw with all the up grades right out of the box.  And unless your using the printer for something else or using it for free, that .50 cent pieces is a bit more than that.
The only thing better than me spending my own money, is my friends spending it for me

gorillamotors

Quote from: bikemutt on January 12, 2019, 09:59:23 AMJust a quick search indicates your printer costs somewhere around $750, I guess if you have other reasons to own the printer then fair enough. It must also take some time to design something like what you did (very impressive BTW), I know what my time is worth, $85 to have everything done right and delivered to my home is a bargain :)
It cost me around $1200 assembled and delivered. I have since made and sold 4X that amount in products produced by it. This is not a business for me but some people want certain things and I try to make them. It helps me learn more. Some projects are very complex but the centering jig above took around 30 minutes to design and about 1 hour to print.
Jim Harris

Learning One

I got the impression that you didn't realize they offered those. Yes, if it works just as well or better and you're saving money that's great. Maybe you should think about offering them up for sale.

gman47564

Hey if its something you enjoy doing and can make what you want with it by all means it's a win win deal for ya. Since the machine has more than paid for itself that's just icing on the cake. Myself I'm kind of a tight wad at times. All the bling you can get for the fx120i is just that. Bling. I'm having zero issues weighing powder to a single grain with the set up as it came out of the box. No need to spend any more on it in my eyes. I'll use them coins to buy components..
Grant

gorillamotors

Quote from: Learning One on January 12, 2019, 10:28:30 AMI got the impression that you didn't realize they offered those. Yes, if it works just as well or better and you're saving money that's great. Maybe you should think about offering them up for sale.
When I made it they did not have it available. It has been great for me. I too wish all those goodies were available when I bought the scale from Adam. I have Area419s powder cup, adjustable base, master funnel kit, and now ordered the clear Lexan top. They are all top notch stuff. I just keep finding more and more things to make with my 3D printer.
Jim Harris

LeadHammer

3D printers are awesome, I thought about buying one, but I don't have enough reasons yet to get one.......yet.

gorillamotors

Quote from: LeadHammer on January 12, 2019, 11:35:19 AM3D printers are awesome, I thought about buying one, but I don't have enough reasons yet to get one.......yet.

When I bought it I only had a few things I wanted to print out but as time went on I kept finding things to print. It can be frustrating at times when something goes wrong and you have to hunt and hunt and hunt endlessly to find the solution but that is the name of the game in anything.
Jim Harris