Skip to main content
Topic: Nosler 140gr Accubond reloading (Read 383 times) previous topic - next topic

Nosler 140gr Accubond reloading

Im new to the forum here, but Ive been doing a lot of stalking. I've been working on a load for these accubonds for a couple of weeks now with a couple of different range times. I've seen on here a couple of guys posting about their loads for it but they are very scattered so I figured I would start a new topic on them and post my results.

Using H4350, CCI large rifle primers, and Hornady brass at 100yrds:
41gr - no go, 1.5 MOA
41.5gr - Hornady book max load was able to get sub MOA but was not satisfied.
42gr - right at 1 MOA, not good enough
42.7gr - found this load on the forum by hotshotr2, 3 shots in one hole. did not have calipers to measure but definitely half MOA! WINNER WINNER

I broke in my rifle with the ELDX factory loads with which I had 3 shots touching on multiple groups so I knew what my gun would be capable of when I found the right load. Soon I will be loading the 142gr Accubond LR and the ELDX, so any suggestions on those would be great! Also, I have tried multiple loads for the 120gr Nosler ballistic tip and cannot get sub MOA. I have plenty of them if some one has a load to try.

Thanks

Re: Nosler 140gr Accubond reloading

Reply #1
Welcome Lizard Man, tell us a bit about the rifle please.
Chris

Reply #2
Thanks!

Savage 110 tactical in 6.5, 24" barrel, 1/8 twist, vortex diamondback 6-24x50 FFP scope

Reply #3
Nice rig. I see and feel pressure signs at 41.9 gr H4350 with 140 gr bullets, but I'm pushing that through a 28" tube. Did you get a chrony on your loads?
Chris

Reply #4
Thanks! I am waiting on my bipod to come in so I can get good pics of it to post. Shoots like a dream.

I did have a little bit of primer flattening with that load but no issues ejecting the casings, so I think I'm ok. I dont have a chrony so I wasnt able to get that info, but I know where I can borrow one. Hopefully I can get that data soon.my guess, based on trajectory at 100, is ~2800.

Reply #5
Yup, 2800 sounds about right.

That's great you found a load your's likes quickly, I'm never that lucky, lol
Chris

Reply #6
It shoot the factory eldx ammo really well so I'm going to start hand loading those soon. And suggestions on powder charge? H4350 or IMR4350

Reply #7
Your rifle, your choices; but simply for knowledge sake.
"Signs", much like Jesus in toast, don't reliably do anything helpful in terms of pressure. They can tell you that a specific component failed, or is about to; but nothing more.
So if you wanted to stay inside SAAMI MAP, stay under pressure tested data max charge/velocity.

Sounds like a nice shooting rifle, so hope you find a load you're happy with.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Reply #8
Using QuickLoad it looks as if you may be close to max pressure @ 58905 psi. Not saying QL is the gospel, just another indicator.

Chris

Reply #9
Thanks for the info guys. So what repercussions am I looking at for a near max load?

Reply #10
Also, what suggestions do you have for an accurate load if this one is too much?

Reply #11
Thanks for the info guys. So what repercussions am I looking at for a near max load?

I wish I knew the answer to that question myself. If I were to wing it, I'd say for a hunting rifle with no obvious signs of pressure like heavy bolt lift and brass getting beat, where the season is over in 3 or less shots, meh. For a target rifle getting used weekly or more, I'd probably look something a bit more "in line".

That said, my completely anecdotal test with 6.5 CM is when the recoil starts to remind me of my .308 rifles, everything else being equal :)
Chris

Reply #12
"repercussions" and a "good load".

Can be very wide-ranging, and variable.
Take a moment to go to SAAMI's website and familiarize yourself with things like MAP & MPSM. The trouble is that powders aren't a simple linear thing. They have conditions and ranges where that can behave as such, or, if taken outside those conditions can have very wild pressure excursions. What that means can vary. GENERALLY speaking from my pressure testing with the Creedmoor, "signs" tend to show up around the 70-75,000psi range. So what if you have a powder get cranky, what pressure does that take you to?  What was the rifle designed to regularly be pressurized to, and how much shorter will there life be when you over pressurize them? Lots of unknowns with your face laying next to it.

As far as a good load goes, powder is not a fixed unchanging thing. None of the brands or names you know, actually produce powder. We are the waste and surplus market; always have been. Canister grade powder (what the general reloading public buys) can be old surplus, blended lots, or from multiple suppliers. So what it "is", is rarely the same. That's why every bottle of powder comes with the warning of "drop loads 10% when switching lots". I've measured powder which varied by 3%, and "current" production which was different by 13%! Even from sealed containers, powder gains and loses moisture, and changes burning rates. Some good pressure data on this can be found in the recent Norma manuals.

So a good load, is accurate in your rifle, with your lot of powder.

Cheers
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Reply #13
Circling back to your original post, I don't know if you moved up the charge weight in 0.5 gr increments or not. That's generally considered pretty large jumps when you are trying to find the sweet spots, or nodes. There are many different methods to choose from when playing with charges; classic ladder, OCW etc. I would try the one that suits your style best. You may have to try it more than once to feel certain about the results. 
Chris

Reply #14
good advice chris...
Grant