Skip to main content
Topic: Recommendations for Primers (Read 463 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Recommendations for Primers

Reply #15
I start out with what I perceive to be the right primer. If I can get down in the .3-.4 range but can't get any tighter with tuning I'll try a different primer. Most of the time that's tightened it up more. 
Dave

Reply #16
I like CCI in small and large and magnum small for lapua brass and W760
Gives great feed back ( to me ) when seating

Reply #17
Magnum primers are recommended for ball powders so I switched to WLRM since I load W760 for midweight pills. My loads use a little less powder and consistency is good with no downside perceived. I see Hornady load data for the 6.5 is done with magnum primers and there must be a reason. I started with WLRM because I had them but if I switched it would be to CCI magnum primers.

Reply #18
Where did you see Hornady data uses magnum primers? They use standard primers in their Creedmoor loadings.

Reply #19
The whole mess about "magnum primers for ball powders" needs A LOT of explaining, if you want to understand where it comes from.
It began with Roy Weatherby, and his "needs" for a magnum primer. In case anyone is fuzzy on the history, even Roy hated shooting his cavernous beasts at full power. To make his cases run to their potential at the time, he needed to use extremely old tech, slow ball powder. Also of note, was said powder was all very old surplus, which wasn't surplused because it was in prime condition, in case anyone is unclear about that. After a particular hunt in the Rocky mtns, with a significantly downloaded case of his, he proclaimed to the world: "Ball powders are hard to light, and need a hotter primer".

I owned a model T once, and if you actually drive it regularly, needs a valve job around 5-10,000 miles. Would it be fair to say that ALL cars (even today) require valve jobs every 10,000 mi? Probably not, and if you take a 75+ grain case and download it to 60% case fill with 1930's tech surplus powder, would it shock anyone to know you may have ignition issues? I don't think so, Tim.

Specifically in the Creedmoor, I DID pressure test several different ball and extruded powders with different brand standard and mag primers; also tested the magic claims of ignition with Lapua SRP brass. The answer in those tests? It doesn't matter what you use. The only instance where there was anything statistically different, was in cold, light charges with a very old tech ball powder and the SRP. There were some ignition delays, but no hang fires.

If you find better results with this or that, obviously you should use that combo. And, obviously, there could be some combination or cartridge where a primer swap can make a significant pressure difference. But in the Creedmoor if you actually measure pressures, I didn't find a significant difference either way.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Reply #20
Where did you see Hornady data uses magnum primers? They use standard primers in their Creedmoor loadings.
I thought the m in 210m stood for magnum not match, my bad, but I would not call match standard. I'll read up and find out what Federal says is different about match.

Reply #21
I thought the m in 210m stood for magnum not match, my bad, but I would not call match standard. I'll read up and find out what Federal says is different about match.

Standard as not magnum is what I meant but now that you mention it I have done testing between 210M and 210 primers and saw no difference in accuracy or chrono numbers. They may do some extra in house QC but don't expect any difference on target.

Reply #22
WLR guy here. And for what it's worth ; Sierra uses them in the
6.5 Creedmoor for published public data.  I do have a small lot of
Sellier and Bellot to test with heavy pills, The guy's across the pond
are swearing by these, in the large rifle primers.

I use them in .243 and get the best groups with them than any other primers.  Never used in the 6.5 however...…...

Reply #23
I'm getting good results with BR-2s and IMR 4350 pushing Nosler Custom Comp 140 gr BTHPs.  That bullet is scary accurate in my Savage Creedmoor setup.
Tom S     Vietnam Vet - Jun 66 to Dec 67