Skip to main content
Topic: Recommendations for Primers (Read 464 times) previous topic - next topic

Recommendations for Primers

Recommendations for Primers using hornady brass, Hornady 6.5 MM  147 Grain  ELD MATCH, H4350

Re: Recommendations for Primers

Reply #1
CCI, BR or standard, Federal, Sellier & Belloit. 

Reply #2
Everyone has their own favorites like Ford or Chevy.  my son loves Federal Gold metal match, I like CCI BR2's just make sure once you find your pefect load stick with same primer.  OR don't. thats why I like this game, fun to experiment with different consumables.

Reply #3
WLR guy here. And for what it's worth ; Sierra uses them in the
6.5 Creedmoor for published public data.  I do have a small lot of
Sellier and Bellot to test with heavy pills, The guy's across the pond
are swearing by these, in the large rifle primers.
Keeping my bad Kharma intact since 1952

Reply #4
I use CCI 200 mostly because they are always available to me. I have used the Federal 205M and they where very good but don’t tend to mail order primers or powder do to the hazmat fee so I usually go with the CCI’s. If I was a little smarter and planned ahead better I’d just buy 3000 primers all the same lot number for a given barrel when I get it but that’s not how I roll most of the time.

Reply #5
cci 200's for me... they go bang every time... main thing is to stick with what you did your load development with...
Grant

Reply #7
Makes no difference as to primer size. There is no one primer that is guaranteed to give the best accuracy in every case. You either work up loads using what is most available to you, or you try as many as you can get to see what works the best.
Peace was my Profession

Reply #10
Sportsman WH on Costco Dr in Maranna, AZ had Fed20M Monday, I took a 1000 there were 2000 left.
Remington 700 6.5CRM Vortex Viper 6-20x44

Reply #12
I find primers one of the least critical factors in any given load.

I'm just the opposite. I did not do the extensive testing that
Laurie Holland did but, "In LRPs", the loads I tested with WLR's
CCIs and Federals, the WLRs gave me the best vertical numbers
with CCI's a close second, and Feds, not so good......I'm also anal
about my primer pockets, flash holes, and seating.

As posted on Accurate shooter after Laurie's work.
Keeping my bad Kharma intact since 1952

Reply #13
I'm just the opposite. I did not do the extensive testing that
Laurie Holland did but, "In LRPs", the loads I tested with WLR's
CCIs and Federals, the WLRs gave me the best vertical numbers
with CCI's a close second, and Feds, not so good......I'm also anal
about my primer pockets, flash holes, and seating.

As posted on Accurate shooter after Laurie's work.

Not saying primers don't matter.  I'll clarify my statement by saying that I work up a load with a empirical choice of primer and get it shooting it's best at a given charge weight/seating depth.  THEN I will play with a few different primers and see if one in particular outshines the others.  However, to get started with developing an accurate load I could use any primer and likely get 90-95% out of a  particular system.

Reply #14
Not saying primers don't matter.  I'll clarify my statement by saying that I work up a load with a empirical choice of primer and get it shooting it's best at a given charge weight/seating depth.  THEN I will play with a few different primers and see if one in particular outshines the others.  However, to get started with developing an accurate load I could use any primer and likely get 90-95% out of a  particular system.

^^^^ I agree. Stick with what you developed the load with. As we all know you can have a great load and change one little thing and it may not be so great any more.
Grant