News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

New guy///complete Aero Percision 18" build/journey

Started by Zeusmotorworks, December 28, 2018, 12:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeusmotorworks

(penny for your thoughts at the end)

Sooooo I'm wrapping up a 27 year career having been Assistant Rang Master for our agency, long time shooter, some comps, etc, etc. However, I have never even dabbled in long range shooting. Right now don't know my ass from a hole in the ground on that subject as the guys in green always handled that, and I stopped at carbines w/RDS. Since I'm about 17 months from retiring, I decided to give it a shot as it sounds fun and maybe someday compete a little semi-locally.

Bought a AP M5 lower about a year ago for a "rainy day" build. Wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas this year and I told her to build out that lower in 6.5 Creedmoor. Got the go ahead and ordered everything from AP (remember mine is not a lucrative career).

AP M5E1 18" complete upper
AP Melonite BCG
Raptor charging handle
AP lower parts kit
AP rifle receiver extension/buffer/spring
MagPul PRS Gen 2 Stock

Things I'm looking at and asking for a little guidance:

Glass: Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen II First Focal Plane 5-25x50 - Ebr-2c Mrad (or MOA)
Mount: Vortex Optics Precision Extended Cantilever Mount 30mm - 20MOA
Accu-Shot Atlas Bi-pod
Accu-Shot Mono-pod
Not sure about trigger or comp as I want to put a can on it (reason for 18" barrel), but that could be a ways off $$$.

I've been lurking here since I decided to go the 6.5 route but my head is already spinning. Any direction much appreciated, and all experienced opinions welcome.

gman47564

Welcome to the forum zeus.. can't help you much with the rifle much as I'm not a ar guy really but the optic your looking at is a good one. Personal preference as to whether you go mrad or moa.. a lot of guys prefer to use mills over moa. But I like moa reticles. Either way you go it's a great scope and will suit your needs. Midway had a sale on the pst gen 2 ebr2d. Which is a first focal plane scope it's a moa scope. 750 if it's still on sale.
Grant

DHuffman

Welcome aboard, Grant and I will have to do until the AR crowd comes along but it all sounds good to me. I agree on the optic and mount but I'm not familiar with the bipod setup either.

The only thing I have against a semi auto is I don't like chasing my brass around.
Dave

Zeusmotorworks

Thanks guys... just saw Midway has the Viper PST MOA  version on sale for $750. Wife gave me grief saying I needed MRAD ($1099) as that's what most people are using (one of her employees competes). Such a good girl, but that's a real good deal it seems.

Kansaswoodguy

Lots of guys like the JP high pressure bolt mine does pierce primers if I get close to book max loads with 140gr pills  but I don't run that JP bolt.

https://jprifles.com/1.4.7_Bolt.php?menu_select=HPbolts

Most AR's can use extra height under the scope mount so your not all scrunched up behind the scope. I like the the Weaver AR rails and they can be had in 20MOA if needed.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-ar-flat-top-riser-rail-20moa.html

Triggers I have a couple of Geissele high speed national match triggers and they are fantastic but very expensive for the money the Larue trigger is very good I have 3 or 4 of them.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger/

Zeusmotorworks

Thx, already have the AP BCG which is now supposed to have a high pressure bolt.

Definitely looking into that trigger.

Steamer

Might check out SWFA and Primary Arms for your glass. A lot of people compare them to Vortex at a better price.
The most misused words in the English language are "can't" and "won't".

Rob78

Just my opinion. 

Pick up a regular charging handle for now.  Put that saved money towards a trigger.

Ditch the mono-pod.  Put that saved money towards a trigger.

Barrel, trigger, and glass are more important than anything else for long range.  The PST genii scopes are great for the money.  The EBR-2C reticle is excellent.  I'm a milrad guy these days (less dialing), but that's up to you.

We can skip the barrel for now since this is your "first".  Eventually you'll want to replace it, but it'll work for now.

If you're reasonably comfortable making adjustments, the Geissele high speed national match is the two-stage trigger to beat.  If you're not, look at their SSA-E.  It's a cleaner and lighter break than the MBT (the MBT is no slouch, just not as refined).

I like ambi charging handles.  They make charging the upper much easier when you've got a big ocular to deal with.  I'd just put my money where it matters more in the beginning.

The mono-pod, unlike their bipod, is a bust.  I own several atlas prs bipods and one monopod.  The monopod came off after the first range trip.  It hops after firing the rifle and requires constant adjustment (because it moved after the shot). 

Good luck.

Zeusmotorworks

Thanks to all for the advice... the list is broken down into already purchased (first list including charging handle), and potential purchases. After much advice and research, I'm sticking with the PST Gen II First Focal Plane 5-25x50 - Ebr-2c Mrad for glass, their (Seekins) mount listed, and ditching the rear mono-pod for a good squeeze bag. Still up in the air on the trigger. Will get with some of my friends who squeeze them for a living and see what I like.

Zeusmotorworks

Scored a BT10-LW17 V8 Atlas Bipod for $150... sure I'd like the non-rotating legs, but the price was right.

bfoosh006

I am also very fond of the Geissele SSA-E.... so much so it has become a "standard" for me.

The SSA-E ( as well as most other Geissele products ) go on sale pretty much every major Holiday. I try to use Brownells to take additional advantage of Free shipping from Brownells.

Also, the LaRue MBT-2 is a heck of a deal... but as mentioned, I also don't like it as much as the SSA-E