Skip to main content
Topic: "Run-Out" (Read 392 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: "Run-Out"

Reply #15
That shows an extreme point of the case being not concentric.
Thats what the liberals shoot. To the left..  :o

Reply #16
Run out that's something when you're out of gas or something else. It's also when you're inside the house and you run out of the house.  ;)   :D  There's already some good explanations for bullet runout so I thought I'd cover the other. :)

Reply #18
Runout: what my ex-wife did to me?   :o

Really though, I think of it as the degree of departure from perfect concentricty.
Chris

Reply #19
Run out that's something when you're out of gas or something else. It's also when you're inside the house and you run out of the house.  ;)   :D  There's already some good explanations for bullet runout so I thought I'd cover the other. :)
And bad run out is when I run out of scotch.

Reply #20
Runout is measured by first identifying a circular datum. for reference  With the Hornady gauge the centerline is established by locating off of the casing head and the bullet tip.   The cartridge is rotated about this axis to perform the measurement.  A dial indicator contacts either the casing neck or the shaft of the bullet.   While rotating the cartridge, the total indicator reading (TIR)  is measured as total runout.  A good technique is to find the minimum reading, adjust the dial to zero and measure the maximum as total run out.

All cartridges have runout.  The Hornady gauge has a way to straighten them.  I have measured factory bullets with as much as .008 inches of run out.   The example in the picture shows an exaggerated  difference between the casing neck and the body (assumed concentric with the head).  When the bullet centerline follows the neck, the source of the run out may have come from the case sizing and/or bullet seating steps of the reloading process.

I inspect (and straighten as required) 100% of the cartridges I shoot in rifle matches.   I don't shoot well enough to claim that they must be straightened to clean the target at 600 yards.

Chazwood - it's a bad run out when I can't have a bottle of single in the cabinet from Campbeltown.
See you at the range.

Reply #21
I’m just not sure I would straighten anything to sacrifice possible neck tension differences. But I did have to Run Out to the garage and get a bottle of Rum last night.

Reply #22
Gents,

Thanks for the gouge and technical and not-so-technical life lessons explanations.

Sorry it took me a couple days to response. Been busy with the USMC ball, a range day with the wife (pistols), and another range day (wife also approved!). #winning!

can someone post a link to this tool that ya'll are talking about? I can't find it.

Reply #25
Run out can also be caused by the resizing process. Pulling an expander ball through the case neck can induce runout. Bushing dies can also create runout if neck wall thickness is not even.