Federal Gold Medal 130s....shoot like absolute crap

Started by shanejohnson2002, March 19, 2018, 03:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shanejohnson2002

Has anyone had good luck with these? I *really* wanted the FGMM 130 AR Hybrids to shoot well in my rifle. They seemed like a perfect blend of hunting and match bullets in a factory load.

At 100 yards, they made about an 8" group. Not even kidding. Just to make sure it wasn't me, I had 2 other shooters test them as well. Both had the same result. They weren't keyholing, there was nothing between myself and the target....but I think my 20 gauge produces a tighter pattern. I ran the remaining few rounds over my chrono and got a stupid ES (around 50-60 or so) for 5 rounds.

We switched back to 147 ELD factory loads just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind....1" or better, easily.

Has anyone else had this trouble with this factory load? I'm wondering if I just got a bad (read: terrible) batch.

skyrep

Agree, best i got out of them was maybe 1.5" @ 100 yards.  Only bought one box to try them out.   However, try the Norma Match 130 gr Hybrid.   I was very happy with them

Cavitation

That sucks I normally have very good luck with FGMM in my 308. Accuracy was better than me.

shanejohnson2002

Quote from: Cavitation on March 20, 2018, 08:33:54 AMThat sucks I normally have very good luck with FGMM in my 308. Accuracy was better than me.

This is my 6.5 though. My .308 shoots FGMM very well, fwiw. That gave me high hopes for these...sadly those were dashed.

ZenArchery

For whatever reason my rifle doesn't like 130gr bullets.  The closest I could get was .98 groupd plenty good for the type of hunting I do.  Everything else is just at .50.  I've tested 100, 120, 123, 124, 130, 134, 140, 143, and 160gr bullets. 

2kmaro

Have you tried any other 130s in same rifle?  I have a Ruger that loves light bullets such as 120 A-MAX and Prime 130s but groups start opening up with heavier bullets, specifically just about any 140 grain.  I ran several factory loads through it a while back and the 140s all had larger groups than lighter bullets, and Winchester's 140 was especially ragged.  Might just be that your rifle likes a heavier bullet?

shanejohnson2002

Quote from: 2kmaro on March 20, 2018, 08:28:30 PMHave you tried any other 130s in same rifle?  I have a Ruger that loves light bullets such as 120 A-MAX and Prime 130s but groups start opening up with heavier bullets, specifically just about any 140 grain.  I ran several factory loads through it a while back and the 140s all had larger groups than lighter bullets, and Winchester's 140 was especially ragged.  Might just be that your rifle likes a heavier bullet?

Could be. I've never tried anything below 140s before this attempt.

I'm going to get a box or two of Prime 130s shipped and see how that works out...could just be a crappy factory load. The group size was really stupid though...and I'm not exaggerating when I said about 8". Normally I'd say 3" or so is a "bad" group. I've achieved a new low lol.

If the Prime does the same, I'll know for sure this rifle/barrel just doesn't like 130s for whatever reason.

Learning One

Quote from: shanejohnson2002 on March 21, 2018, 12:55:37 AMCould be. I've never tried anything below 140s before this attempt.

I'm going to get a box or two of Prime 130s shipped and see how that works out...could just be a crappy factory load. The group size was really stupid though...and I'm not exaggerating when I said about 8". Normally I'd say 3" or so is a "bad" group. I've achieved a new low lol.

If the Prime does the same, I'll know for sure this rifle/barrel just doesn't like 130s for whatever reason.
Maybe it could have something to do with how far the bullets are seated off the lands instead of the bullets weight.

shanejohnson2002

Quote from: Learning One on March 21, 2018, 03:07:40 PMMaybe it could have something to do with how far the bullets are seated off the lands instead of the bullets weight.

I've never personally seen seating depth cause such a huge group though. 3", maybe 4 if it's terrible. These were twice that.

Not saying it's not the case, just doesn't seem to fit the symptoms in my experience.

sean30ber

Im getting 1/2 to 3/4 with them from a 1/4 moa gun.
Sean 
Bergara HMR, Bergara LRP

Windsage

I have not tried the Gold Medal 130's, but the Federal 140 OTM's fired good for me.  They were about .5 moa, where I get about .4-.5 moa from 140 ELD-m's.  Interestingly, the Federal's hit 0.4 mil higher than the Hornady.  I did not have my chrono with me, but it was obviously faster.

Cavitation

Quote from: ZenArchery on March 20, 2018, 06:37:51 PMFor whatever reason my rifle doesn't like 130gr bullets.  The closest I could get was .98 groupd plenty good for the type of hunting I do.  Everything else is just at .50.  I've tested 100, 120, 123, 124, 130, 134, 140, 143, and 160gr bullets. 

I think the 6.5 has spoiled us when we start to complain about sub MOA groups insead of sub .5MOA groups. B)

Cavitation

Quote from: 2kmaro on March 20, 2018, 08:28:30 PMHave you tried any other 130s in same rifle?  I have a Ruger that loves light bullets such as 120 A-MAX and Prime 130s but groups start opening up with heavier bullets, specifically just about any 140 grain.  I ran several factory loads through it a while back and the 140s all had larger groups than lighter bullets, and Winchester's 140 was especially ragged.  Might just be that your rifle likes a heavier bullet?

I have not finished load development with the 143eldx yet but I may be finding the same issue with my PA10. My 120 and 123 amax loads ran 3/4 or less inch and my 140grn HPBT seem to open up some to 1 to 1.25.

JFoley001

Had 4 shots in about a 1 " group, and the fifth shot was in the complete wrong bullseye, a foot to the left, on a 100 yard precision rifle target.

Another vote for garbage.

sean30ber

I was getting "ok" groups with this ammo until I went out today. I did a, 3 round each, test at 300m of my 130 Hybrid and 147 ELDM hand loads. I threw in 3 of my last FGMM. Well you can see the groups. I have no idea where the third FGMM went.
Sean 
Bergara HMR, Bergara LRP