News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Offering to the barrel nut gods!

Started by DHuffman, February 08, 2018, 09:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHuffman

Picked up a 70's Era Savage first gen short action. 4.522 screw spacing, glad it came with a nice stock because I've never seen any!

It's a model 112 single shot series j and had a 26" 1:16 twist 220 swift barrel on it in the first pic. The trigger is pretty nice and the actions smooth with a little bolt lift. I'm going to put the bolt lift kit in it as soon as I can get or make one. 2 piece Burris pictanny bases and Burris signature rings to achieve 25 MOA and a 28" Criterion match barrel in 6mm BR

Can't wait to wring it out!
Dave

DHuffman

Went with the two piece bases because I've never seen a rail for this action just like the stock.
Dave

flyer

It's a good thing you have a freezer.

DHuffman

Makes a nice uncluttered backdrop for pictures. Every now and then I freeze some food in it for later.
Dave

tstar

I've thought about getting one of these Savage bolt lift kits but haven't yet. I assume you like them, PT&G's any good??

Tim

DHuffman

I've never bought/done one myself but I have 2 actions that have been timed and trued by Fred @ SSS and after taking them apart to install new bolt handles I know it's a part of the "magic" he does.

He uses a 38 special case and a ball bearing to decrease the amount of effort to lift/ cock the bolt. You can Google DIY savage bolt lift for more info.

Nate Lambeth at customguns and ammunition.Com sell a kit as well as Rayhill stocks. I believe the P T & G kit is Nate's

Regardless of whose kit or mod it is very effective and I plan to do it on these two old single shots and possibly my F class target rifle I'm still waiting on.

Dave

dadajack

Lookes great with either barrel. I do like the SS finish with the steel receiver though. Beautiful rifle!
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

tstar

Thanks for the info! Enjoy the rifle!!!

Tim

gman47564

Nice old rifle. The 220 swift is one of my favorite. Push a 50 grain core lock around 4000 fps and it's wicked.
Grant

DHuffman

Quote from: gman47564 on February 09, 2018, 05:12:55 PMNice old rifle. The 220 swift is one of my favorite. Push a 50 grain core lock around 4000 fps and it's wicked.

That barrel will be for sale next week as well as a new 14 twist 26" stainless, fluted 22-250 barrel.
Dave

DHuffman

Quote from: dadajack on February 09, 2018, 07:13:15 AMLookes great with either barrel. I do like the SS finish with the steel receiver though. Beautiful rifle!

The stock just feels right, has a big palmswell and took the big tube with about an hours worth of dremeling and sanding for the nut and barrel channel.

The old "intermediate" action is nice too. Supposed to warm up a little next week so I'll be shooting it. Edit... turns out EGW makes a 1 piece rail for it. 0 or 20 MOA

Dave

DHuffman

This stick will shoot! Ran a powder test with Varget from 28.4 - 30.2, CCI 450s and Berger 105 HVLDs -.002

2* F very light wind from 11 o clock.

To say I'm impressed would be a massive understatement. I don't think theres a group over .5 in the whole string aside from 28.4, 30 g is .250, 30.2 is .230, 29.8 is .290

Dave

jvw2008

DHuffman

Quote from: jvw2008 on February 19, 2018, 02:57:29 PMAre you going for the upper node?

If 30 is the upper then yes. Is there a higher node? I left the Magspeed off, just wanted to see how it shot first time out. I bought 100 rounds of Lapua 105 loaded ammo for the brass and used 10 of them to get zeroed. First 3 were 2 in 1 barely out!
Dave

DHuffman

29.2 would probably shoot with tuning?
Dave