Skip to main content
October 23, 2017 ...

Topic: Powder Burn Rate Chart (Read 601 times) previous topic - next topic

Powder Burn Rate Chart
Does anyone have a link to a current burn rate chart. One that includes the new powders like Alliant Reloder 16 & 26, IMR 4451, etc
Jim Harris
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid". Sgt Stryker

• MLN1963
  • [*][*][*][*]
Re: Powder Burn Rate Chart
Reply #1
Those are kept with the unicorns. I haven't found one either!

• bob_atl
  • [*][*]
  • Donator
Reply #2
try this : burn-rate-PDF
... rule #9 ...

• MLN1963
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
No RL16 or RL26 but it does have 4451

• dadajack
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Donator
Reply #4
Curious what the interest is. I mean, I understand burn rates, but you cannot really extrapolate anything from them other than to know you are in an approximate window of powders with a burn rate that matches the charachteristics of the cartridge you are loading. You can't garner starting or max charges from it. Anyway, load data for whatever powder you're interested in will be available from the mfg of said powder.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

• Danbonzo
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Donator
Reply #5
Curious what the interest is. I mean, I understand burn rates, but you cannot really extrapolate anything from them other than to know you are in an approximate window of powders with a burn rate that matches the charachteristics of the cartridge you are loading. You can't garner starting or max charges from it. Anyway, load data for whatever powder you're interested in will be available from the mfg of said powder.

Why you gotta rain on the guys parade? LMAO
RIP Chris Cornell

Reply #6
If you look at the sierra bullet load data for 6.5 Creedmoor, lets say for the 142 SMK, the powders look like they are listed from fastest to slowest. Also on the Hodgdon's  site the powders are listed from slowest to fastest for the 6.5 Creedmoor.  But Alliant doesn't participate which such data, so far as I've searched. In fact their website doesn't list any loads for 6.5 Creedmoor even though many shooters use RL16, RL17, and RL26. Humm....

Reply #7
Alliant doesn't participate which such data so far as I've searched. In fact their website doesn't list any loads for 6.5 Creedmoor even though many shooters use RL16, RL17, and RL26. Humm....
There's a sticky somewhere here for Aliant data. LOL it's at the top of the page in this sub forum !!!!!

http://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?topic=6954.0

• Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 05:32:26 PM by 6.5savageguy
Dave

Reply #8
Here you go!
Dave

• MLN1963
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
One might think RL26 is slower burning than 25 based on the number system. However, I read that it falls between 22 and 33. Well, that's a big gap. I would like to see where it actually falls on a chart.

Reply #10
There's a sticky somewhere here for Aliant data. LOL it's at the top of the page in this sub forum !!!!!

http://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?topic=6954.0

The top part of the chart is RL16 and then the bottom of the chart might be in order of fastest to slowest.  I suppose you could interpolate with this chart using the 140 speer bullet.  That would put RE16 as slower than RL17, but faster than PP4000. In addition I also would like to see where RL26 falls in the chart. For RL26 I suspose you could go to quickload and find out how much powder it takes to reach 62000 psi with the Speer 140 SP and rate it yourself. My quickload data says 51 grains at about 105% fill to reach 62000 psi. That would put it at the bottom of the chart.  However I have the expectation that Alliant would do that for us.
  • Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:03:56 AM by brantfredrickson

Reply #11
For RL26 I suspose you could go to quickload and find out how much powder it takes to reach 62000 psi with the Speer 140 SP and rate it yourself. My quickload data says 51 grains at about 105% fill to reach 62000 psi. That would put it at the bottom of the chart. 
Just curious. How would you accomplish this burn rate comparison. What procedure or technique do you use for this.  QL for me using a 29" barrel 51.0 grains of RL26 104.9% equals 61988 psi.

Jim
Jim Harris

• dadajack
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Donator
Reply #12

Why you gotta rain on the guys parade? LMAO

I have a reputation that needs watering every now and then, like the proverbial tree of liberty, plus I thought I was giving out some decent information. :) Why you gotta rain on my parade? T_T

LOL!

• dadajack
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Donator
Reply #13
RL-26 is too slow to be efficient, and you will not get the same results from QL in the field. I ran the numbers with RL-19, but did not get the real life measurements QL predicted. Sometimes compressing a powder too slow for a cartridge will only make it burn worse because it can't burn fast enough before the bullet leaves the muzzle. What does QL predict for burn % with 51 grains (WOW!!!) of RL-26 in a 29" bbl? You won't get 2900 FPS with a 143 grain bullet n a Creed unless you load it out to over 2.900" and maintain a fill % less than 101%. Slow powders don't burn well compressed.

Reply #14
What does QL predict for burn % with 51 grains (WOW!!!) of RL-26 in a 29" bbl?
100%

I don't rely totally on QL for answers but I think it gives me ideas to pursue other propellants/bullets.
Jim Harris