News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Muzzle brake and bullet impact.

Started by 68Wicked, August 11, 2018, 02:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68Wicked

Should I be able to see bullet impact with a muzzle break installed.   I'm  still working up loads at a hundred  yards and installed a aero VG 6 gamma brake. I had assumed i would have been able to see impact.  Am I  expecting to much from a muzzle break or did I choice a bad muzzle break. Thank you for inputs.

MLN1963

Maybe with a 22 LR or a high power rifle with the magnification backed way down.
RPR 6.5 Creedmoor
Bergara 6 Creedmoor

jvw2008

Only if your eye thru the scope doesn't move during recoil and your brain can capture an image in 0.107 seconds.

300 ft / 2800 fps = 0.107 secs or 107 milliseconds.

68Wicked

Thoughts one break choice. Was thinking about little bastard break. Will I see bullet impact once  I start stretching out the distance?

jvw2008

With good recoil management - yes. Takes a little over a second to impact at 1000 yards. With the right conditions and scope you should be able to see impact and bullet trace. Someone on a spotting scope would be in a better position than you though, since they have NO recoil to deal with.

MLN1963

Yes, but he was asking about 100 yards. Much harder to pick up at that short of distance.
RPR 6.5 Creedmoor
Bergara 6 Creedmoor

68Wicked

Built it try some  long distance  shooting. Any other recommendation  for recoil management.  Running stock buffer weight and spring  in a Magpul PRS stock and non adjusting  gas block.. 

Kiwi Greg

Like most brakes for ARs or brakes in general that one isn't particularly efficient.

The Little B--d or T2 Terminator will be much more effective

68Wicked

Kansaswoodguy

I have a couple Precision Armament M4-72 brakes on 223 gas guns and I can see impacts at 100 yds no problem and under favable conditions can watch my own vapor trails at 400 yds. My 6.5 creedmoor gas gun is unthreaded 26" bull Keiger barrel and I don't believe I can see my hits at 100 yds with it I can at 400 yds and farther most of the time. The m4-72 is a exstreamly good muzzle brake at reducing recoil.

https://precisionarmament.com/product/m4-72-tactical-compensator/