News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Bases for Kimber Montana

Started by Cold Trigger Finger, February 25, 2018, 12:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Trigger Finger

This coming Friday I should be bringing home my new rifle. A 338 Winchester.
 It doesn't come with bases and rings.
 Beings the action is something of a Model 70 clone I'm wondering if it takes Model 70 bases ?
 If anyone has a Kimber I would really appreciate any info.
 Thanks !
 Glen.
P.S.  I going to mount my 10x42 SWFA SS mil dot on it to check its accuracy and play a bit.
 Not sure what scope will be my final choice. But I'm leaning towards a mid their 3-15 ffp. Probably be a couple different ones along the way.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

CaptGrumpy

store.kimberamerica.com/

I am assuming an 84L or 84M? Pricy 20 moa base but I also saw Tally makes a base too. check EGW and Warne as well. The 84L long Action was $145  :o  :o

Talley base is about $40
Chris
Yup! That is a 6.5 in my saddle scabbard

Cold Trigger Finger

Thanks Capt. !
 I noticed their prices. Oouchy ka wawa 8-/
 As this is a blind mag , top feeder only I'm going with 2 piece bases, or at least they will end up with the base being wide open over the mag. Probably eventually get Burris rings with the elliptical inserts.
  The SWFA scopes have a lot of adjustment travel so I can do a lot of longer range shooting without needing help from the base.
  Was thinking of putting Weaver steel bases on for the time being. I already have high Warne rings.
  The rifle has a 10" twist so I can't go crazy on bullet length.
  But the 338 Winchester will start the 300 gr SMK at 2400 fps and it has a pretty stupid high BC. So it should work well for shooting to 1k.
 Thinking I will also try the 265 gr TTSX LR. Which should leave the muzzle at 2600 fps.
 Probably also try the 250 gr Scenar and SMK and the 225 gr TTSX BT.
 The target bullets will just be for shooting steel
 Who knows, I may have a general brand addition to my battery. I know my wife would like the Adirondak in 6.5
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Cold Trigger Finger

Divealso

Quote from: Cold Trigger Finger on February 25, 2018, 02:09:49 AMThanks Capt. !
 I noticed their prices. Oouchy ka wawa 8-/
 As this is a blind mag , top feeder only I'm going with 2 piece bases, or at least they will end up with the base being wide open over the mag. Probably eventually get Burris rings with the elliptical inserts.
  The SWFA scopes have a lot of adjustment travel so I can do a lot of longer range shooting without needing help from the base.
  Was thinking of putting Weaver steel bases on for the time being. I already have high Warne rings.
  The rifle has a 10" twist so I can't go crazy on bullet length.
  But the 338 Winchester will start the 300 gr SMK at 2400 fps and it has a pretty stupid high BC. So it should work well for shooting to 1k.
 Thinking I will also try the 265 gr TTSX LR. Which should leave the muzzle at 2600 fps.
 Probably also try the 250 gr Scenar and SMK and the 225 gr TTSX BT.
 The target bullets will just be for shooting steel
 Who knows, I may have a general brand addition to my battery. I know my wife would like the Adirondak in 6.5

i am going through the same issue. I have a Kimber Montana in a 6.5 CM and I am wanting a 20moa base for it. Your point on it being a blind mag and feeding from the top is spot on. I have been doing some research and asking a lot of questions on different forums. The 1 recommendation that keeps coming up is the Burris rings with inserts. I will probably try that.

CaptGrumpy

Dohhh! I only have 1 blind feeder so I don't think about that as I have not shot it. A stainless Savage in 270 wsm that I am thinking of putting a custom Manners stock on for about $600ish with adjustable comb which will keep it in the reasonably priced department. I picked up Browning X Bolt in 300 Win Mag so I would not have to fight the battle and have an extra mag to carry ready to roll, just have to install a kydex taco adjustable comb on it to fit me.
300g bullets make my shoulder cringe. I plan on shooting the 175g TTSX-LR and finding a node on the lower side of the pressure scale. @ 2900 fps vs 3100fps with6 or 7grains of h4350 between the 2 velocities I should find something comfortable. 52K pressure on the bottom end. Getting old sucks!
Chris

Cold Trigger Finger

One reason I went with the Kimber is . Less than 7 lbs naked rifle weight. 338 Winchester is one of my favorite carts. Had 10 , 338s in the past. Haven't had one since I had my 9.3×64 Brenneke built.
  It is 95% a big game hunting rifle. 5% targets.
 Due to its bullet weight and velocity . And light weight. It will be lively when the trigger is pulled.
 So, I need to stick with 4" eye relief . Or very close to it.

CaptGrumpy

at least a 4 inch eye relief or in this case safety zone! :o
Lively is a great description! ;D
Chris

Cold Trigger Finger

Quote from: Divealso on February 25, 2018, 07:53:11 AMi am going through the same issue. I have a Kimber Montana in a 6.5 CM and I am wanting a 20moa base for it. Your point on it being a blind mag and feeding from the top is spot on. I have been doing some research and asking a lot of questions on different forums. The 1 recommendation that keeps coming up is the Burris rings with inserts. I will probably try that.

One easy thing to do is mount a 20 moa rail. Real solid . Bolt on the rail with 271 lock tite . Then cut the section over the action opening.
  Buff the rough edges and there ya have it 20 moa rail And an open action . !  All set . at least hopefully. Nice and lined up straight.

Cold Trigger Finger

So this is what I ordered from SWFA Brownell's was out of the 2 piece base. In fact EVERY PLACE that listed the 2 piece base from Warne was out. Including SWFA. So I went with a 0 rise 1 piece Talley Pic rail. After I get it I'll see what the clearance is for getting my bogger hooks in there to load and unload. If not I'll cut the center portion out .
https://swfa.com/talley-picatinny-1-piece-base-94.html

The real trouble is descifering the screw sizes.
 The 84 is a round receiver. The 8400 is round in front and half round in the rear. Also my 8400 has the 8x40 base screws.
 Some of the bases list 8x40 and some don't. It took the guy guy at SWFA some time to research which was which.
  I guess I've been spoiled with Ruger. Bases are part of the receiver and rings come in the box with the gun.
 But. I'll get er figured out.

CaptGrumpy

Quote from: Cold Trigger Finger on February 25, 2018, 10:16:48 PMOne easy thing to do is mount a 20 moa rail. Real solid . Bolt on the rail with 271 lock tite . Then cut the section over the action opening.
  Buff the rough edges and there ya have it 20 moa rail And an open action . !  All set . at least hopefully. Nice and lined up straight.
[/quote

]If you do have to cut  the rail and decide to do it in place , take some blue tape and seal off your action openings to prevent any shavings from getting inside of your firearm. Hopefully you won't need to cut the rail. Another option would be to cut a notch in the rail and leave the rail to length in one piece.
Chris

flyer

I had to find bases for an Arisaka once.  Of course no one makes an Arisaka specific set but looking at the fit charts for Weaver and Leupold bases I was able to figure a set that fit perfectly.

If you do a lot of digging, you should probably be able to find something that will work without having to cut the middle out of a sloped rail.

If you wind up cutting, you should probably bed the rail first to maintain alignment.

You might want to make a partial cut from the bottom before you bed it to reduce the chance of hitting your receiver and making the cut easier to clean up with a file.

You could also use a riser rail to reinforce the partially cut rail so it stays straight while bedding.

Cold Trigger Finger

I was thinking I would use blue loc tite to bed it.
 And use a cut off wheel on my Dremil tool to make the cuts .  At the minimum , I will bed the rail , mark my cuts, remove the rail, cut and buff , then reinstall with a few dots of loc tite.
 That is If I need to. The rail may be unobtrusive enough that I keep it as is.
 The rail I ordered is 0 rise. As this is a light weight barrel, great for hunting but not for lots of long range shooting. And I have few opportunities to hunt at long range. I don't need a Canted rail.