News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Reloder 16 @ Powder Valley

Started by Hawaiianks, March 16, 2017, 12:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawaiianks

For those of you like me that have learned to like Reloder 16.  Powder Valley has 1 and 8 pounders.

ALLIANT RELODER 16 - 1 LB.    Yes    $23.95
  ALLIANT RELODER 16 - 8 LB.    Yes    $178.95

txcas

It is also available at Graf & Sons.  Since I have to work up my loads again for the new Lapua brass, and H4350 is a pain in the rear to get, I decided to go with Reloader 16.

Hawaiianks

When I first tried it in my Ruger I wasn't impressed, but my Savage seems to like it alot.

badger tuff

Quote from: txcas on March 16, 2017, 12:51:07 PMIt is also available at Graf & Sons.  Since I have to work up my loads again for the new Lapua brass, and H4350 is a pain in the rear to get, I decided to go with Reloader 16.
How do you like that Reloder 16? Have you used it in the 6.5 CM? :) 
I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand
  John Wayne

txcas

Quote from: badger tuff on March 16, 2017, 12:56:50 PMHow do you like that Reloder 16? Have you used it in the 6.5 CM? :)
I am still waiting for the shipment from Graf & Sons.  As soon as I get I will work up a new load on Lapua brass.  I will let you know how it works out for me.

rardoin

I am working up a load for a 135gr VLD and RL-16.  So far I am impressed and am getting near 2900fps without any issues suggesting brass fatigue but it looks like 2875 + or - will be in a node (26" barrel).  I will hopefully get some time at 600yds on Saturday and that will be the final answer.  I'll report.

Edit- using new Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor brass, once fired

cwall64

+1 to what @rardoin said, velocity is good, accuracy is good, and SDs looked good in my initial workup with Hornady brass.  Starting to test on Lapua brass this weekend.  I have only tested with the 142 SMKs so far.
NRA Benefactor - Life

badger tuff

Yep, I'm running out of H4350 too so some of the gun shops here have a good supply of R 16. I've used R 15 & 17, in the 6.5 CM with some good results and R 19 and R 22  in some other rifles that I own with good results. 
I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand
  John Wayne

Danbonzo

Quote from: badger tuff on March 16, 2017, 12:56:50 PMHow do you like that Reloder 16? Have you used it in the 6.5 CM? :) 
It's the bomb in 6.5cm. Working up a load now to replace H4350. Unbelievable velocity.
RIP Chris Cornell

txcas

I finally got RL16 and worked up a load. I started at 42.2gr in 0.2gr increments and stopped at 44.0gr.  No pressure sings at 44.0. but no accuracy either.  My RPR seems to like 43.2 gr of RL16, on the new Lapua brass, using Unis Ginex primers, and Hornady 140gr ELD-M bullets.  Four bullets in a hole and a "flyer" that I am blaming on the shooter.  I used a Silencerco Saker 7.62 suppressor on the RPR rifle.  Unfortunately I was not able to get speeds, but I will post that as soon as I load and test some more.

txcas

Quote from: txcas on March 23, 2017, 11:50:15 AMI finally got RL16 and worked up a load. I started at 42.2gr in 0.2gr increments and stopped at 44.0gr.  No pressure sings at 44.0. but no accuracy either.  My RPR seems to like 43.2 gr of RL16, on the new Lapua brass, using Unis Ginex primers, and Hornady 140gr ELD-M bullets.  Four bullets in a hole and a "flyer" that I am blaming on the shooter.  I used a Silencerco Saker 7.62 suppressor on the RPR rifle.  Unfortunately I was not able to get speeds, but I will post that as soon as I load and test some more.

Just an update to this data.  I tested the speed of the RL16 43.2gr load suppressed, and all I can say is wow!  The average speed of 10 rounds was 2,869 fps.  With 41.8 gr of H4350 I was only getting an average of 2,687 fps.  I gained 182 fps!

Hawaiianks

Was that with the Hornady ELD-M's?

I've got H4350 but since it's so hard to find on a regular basis I bought a couple one pounders of RL16 to test with.  Was not very impressed with the speeds I was getting from my Ruger American, so the RL16 was just sitting on my shelf. 

Luckily I got bored and loaded up some round with RL16 to test in my Savage.  It likes it so much I got a couple 8 pounders.

txcas

Cleveland48

Finally stopped by a local shop today and grabbed some RL16. While I was at it I picked up a box of cci br 2 primers. Anxious to try it out.