Skip to main content
Topic: Alpha Munitions brass - better than Lapua? Probably (Read 346 times) previous topic - next topic

Alpha Munitions brass - better than Lapua? Probably

A story in the new SNIPER magazine featured Alpha Munitions brass, a US company in . Seems this company takes at least as many pains with the brass quality and manufacturing process as Lapua, probably more.

So if they make your cartridge and the price is on par with Lapua maybe it's worth a try. I'm looking into it even though I have a $hitload of Hornady 6.5 CM brass, fired and unfired.  My Hornady 147 gr. ELD-M bullets may just "deserve" to be put into Alpha brass.

Anyone tried it?

Eric B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

Re: Alpha Munitions brass - better than Lapua? Probably

Reply #1
I've seen that Alpha Brass is some good stuff- There is a guy that shoots regularly with it at my range and he gets very tiny groups with his loads. So gun, brass and bullets all must be good to achieve that as well as the person behind the gun!!

I dont believe you can go wrong with Alpha brass!!
Marvin

Reply #2
I've shot all 3.  The Alpha brass is just as good as Lapua.  Somethings are better with the Alpha, and some are better with the Lapua.  Over all they are very close in tolerances.  I've never liked the Hornady for precision work. ( even though I just shot a .3  5 shot group with factory Hornady ammo ) A lot of good shooters here get very good groups with it and use it all the time.  Guess it goes to show you, it's not just the components, it's what you do with them and the monkey behind the trigger.  :o  

Reply #3
Guess it goes to show you, it's not just the components, it's what you do with them and the monkey behind the trigger.  :o  

I resemble that remark :)
Chris

Reply #4
Recent email I received from Alpha said no Creedmoor brass from them until mid June.

Just jumped on their site. The small primer cases are available now, but no large primer cases yet.

Reply #5
So Jerry, Alpha is doing small primer pockets like Lapua does? I truly cannot see that small primers would be better than large rifle primers. Is there some method in this madness?

Eric B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

Reply #6
Eric,  Alpha started making LRP first, then only in the last 3-4 months started making the SRP.  If I had to take a guess, they had enough of the LRP on hand at the time and then the people said they wanted the SRP cause Lapua had theirs out and everyone wanted them to make SRP.  They probably aren't big enough, right now to run both at 100% or wanted to see how sales were going to be.  So that's why I'm guessing it will be mid June till they have enough of the LRP to put on their website.

Reply #7
So Jerry, Alpha is doing small primer pockets like Lapua does? I truly cannot see that small primers would be better than large rifle primers. Is there some method in this madness?

Eric B.

I think the jury is still out regarding which primer group is best for the Creedmoor case. I have stuck with the large primer version and been happy with the results. Most folks also report good results with the SP. I have had only one experienced shooter suggest more erratic ignition with the SP during cold temperatures even though he was using an extreme Hodgdon powder.

Reply #8
I think the jury is still out regarding which primer group is best for the Creedmoor case. I have stuck with the large primer version and been happy with the results. Most folks also report good results with the SP. I have had only one experienced shooter suggest more erratic ignition with the SP during cold temperatures even though he was using an extreme Hodgdon powder.

Johnny's reloading bench on YouTube has a big series of tests he did with hangfires and misfires using SRP in Starline brass.  The Starline brass uses a full size flash hole.  Could Lapua have some reason for the smaller flash hole? 

I have only used LRP and have had a few casings leak around the primer when they got 5-6 firings on them.  This seems to be limited to casings that were used at very high pressures.  Now I measure the primer pockets as I reuse older brass.

Once fired brass seems to measure 0.208", where 5 times brass is mostly in the 0.209"-0.2095" range.  Then sometimes you find one at 0.2105"-.2125".  The ones above 0.212" are the ones that leak.

Reply #9
The smaller flash hole helps keep pressures down in the primer pocket. That said, the smaller primer pocket also leaves more meat in the case head, which improves case life at high pressures. Now, I've never done a round to round comparison of LRP and SPR in the same chamber with the same loads for accuracy, and case life. But, the simple physics of a larger mass taking the brunt of a massive pressure spike better than a smaller mass does makes perfect sense to me.

The Palma 308 brass was a direct request of match shooters for more consistent ignition and accuracy though, in my understanding, and I think they have a bit more expreince with that sort of shooting than I do. FWIW, I've used Tula 5.56 and Fed FGMM AR primers in my 6.5x47 Lapua cases, and they both hold up to high pressures, unlike the CCI 400's with their extrusion issues initially, but the Feds are much more accurate with RL-17 and 16.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

Reply #10

Eric B.

Yes, market share.
RIP Chris Cornell

Reply #12
Recent email I received from Alpha said no Creedmoor brass from them until mid June.

Just jumped on their site. The small primer cases are available now, but no large primer cases yet.
I was going to try some of the Alpha brass but I had to settle for the Lapua for the same price. I’ve tried the Peterson and Starline. Both pretty good but now going to try the Lapua.