Skip to main content
Topic: Hornady 223 62 gr bthp (Read 258 times) previous topic - next topic

Hornady 223 62 gr bthp

Midsouth shooters supply has a 223 62 gr bthp made by Hornady for cheap, Midsouth exclusive.
Hornady says it's a hunting bullet, not a match bullet.
Got some loaded up for the 20" AR15 with various charges of H4895 to try out if it stops raining.
Anybody else try them?
They have very good reviews on a few forums.

Re: Hornady 223 62 gr bthp

Reply #2
Those must be getting discontinued and sold off. Never tried them but for the price they would be worth a try. They only have the FMJ listed for 62grn on the site and it's listed as target.
https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/22-cal-.224-62-gr-fmj#!/

The 73 ELD would work in an AR but the 75 ELD is too long. The ELDs will be more money though. The 75 BTHP is an excellent bullet that gets over looked and works great in ARs and is usually less expensive.  Checked Midsouth and they are about $93/600.

Reply #3
Got out today to try them.
Range brass not segregated just full length sized, trimmed and primer crimp removed.
H4895, CCI 450, light Lee factory crimp.
C.O.A.L. 2.235"
24.7gr 5 shots  .7
25gr  5 shots. .8
Didn't have time to set up chrono but should be about 2950-3000 with the 20" supressed barrel.
I think this the same bullet used in the Hornady Frontier Military Grade Ammunition 5.56x45mm NATO 62 Grain bthp.
Going to order a few thousand more just in case they do disappear.

Reply #4
Love these bullets . ....maybe not Bergers or Sierra' s but for predator and other small hunting , these are fantastic. Shot out of a home built ar15, 16" Faxon ultra light pencil bbl....better than I ever hoped for...might buy 5k of these to have on hand.....LOAD DATA FOR MY RIFLE, WORK UP LOAD FOR YOURS ! etc,etc,etc
From a place you will never see, comes a sound you will never hear....

Reply #5
I hope to get out this week and try then in my 16" rifle, maybe  get a little chrono data in both the 16" and 20" if I have time.

Made it out today, wind was blowing hard. I shoot prone and it was moving my body around pretty good.  Sill got respectable groups out of the 16" rifle.
Chrono put me at 2944 for the 20" and 2820 for the 16", both running suppressors. Surprisingly poi in both rifles was the same as my 50gr vmax loads.

Reply #6
rsbhunter,
Do you by chance have chrono data on those loads?

Reply #7
We did chronograph, but I didn't keep the #s , as this is a kind of fun gun, not used for super precision work, with 25 grs of TAC, I'm guessing we (buddy loads same load) were right at 2850-2900 fps.....if I take the chrono out again, I'll check the #s......rsbhunter
From a place you will never see, comes a sound you will never hear....