Skip to main content
Topic: Hornady brass life. (Read 770 times) previous topic - next topic

Hornady brass life.

After Five firings my cases are shot. CHS line on case and some are cracking. Didn’t need a case puller thank goodness.
Loading 41.8grains of h4350 at 2700ft/sec. FL sizing with a with a 2thou bump. RDF 140’s @ 10 thou off the lands.  BR2 primer.
Normal case life?

Re: Hornady brass life.

Reply #1
Acceptable and maybe normal, frequently they will do better (8-10). Your case head separation lines suggest that at sometime the shoulders were bumped back too far (possibility over several firings).  I’m presuming your primer pockets are still ok and all of the loads thru these cases have been down in the 2700 range.

Reply #2
They should last longer than that. One batch of a 100 I have has 16 firings on them with a load of 43 grains of h4350 pushing a 120 gr a max. I've lost about 10 of them to loose primer pockets but the rest are still fine.
Grant

Reply #3
Too much sizing is likely the problem. I used to use H and get much more out of them. My buddy is pushing 140s at 2815 with H brass and has 14 firings on them and hasn't lost any to primer pockets or head separation. On the other hand another buddy has lost a bunch of Alpha due to stretching and resizing them too much. I have tried to get him to buy a Forster BBND and stop all that nonsense but he is a Redding man. You just can't help some people.  :))
RPR 6.5 Creedmoor
Bergara 6 Creedmoor

Reply #4
I know that every one uses and likes the Hornady case measuring tools, but I found myself getting different number when measuring the bump based on how I held/manipulated the tool/calipers.  I changed over to using a Widden case gauge (https://www.whiddengunworks.com/product/case-gauge-3/) and I FEEL like I am much more consistent in just getting the bare minimum bump and the measurements are always repeatable for my challenged head/hands!
NRA Benefactor - Life

Reply #5
I just cut one in half yesterday. 6 x used. I did not notice anything wrong with it.
H4350 at 41.5-41.8 with 143 ELDx. 

Reply #6
Acceptable and maybe normal, frequently they will do better (8-10). Your case head separation lines suggest that at sometime the shoulders were bumped back too far (possibility over several firings).  I’m presuming your primer pockets are still ok and all of the loads thru these cases have been down in the 2700 range.

Pockets feel ok. Yes, all velocities are between 2700 and 2730ish.
I think you are right. A bit of oversizing. I am going to reset the bump. Thanks to everybody for the feedback.

Reply #7
I know that every one uses and likes the Hornady case measuring tools, but I found myself getting different number when measuring the bump based on how I held/manipulated the tool/calipers.  I changed over to using a Widden case gauge (https://www.whiddengunworks.com/product/case-gauge-3/) and I FEEL like I am much more consistent in just getting the bare minimum bump and the measurements are always repeatable for my challenged head/hands!

It's good you found a tool that gives you confidence with your measurements. I find with the Hornady tool it's a matter of rotating the case a bit and feeling the alignment, then a bit of up/down to square the case to the jaws. I always look for the shortest distance. Once I find it I try to come back to it a few times without forcing it. Then I repeat for a few cases until I'm sure I got it. But it is a feel thing, if at any time it feels like a square peg round hole thing, start over.
Chris

Reply #8
After Five firings my cases are shot. CHS line on case and some are cracking. Didn’t need a case puller thank goodness.
Loading 41.8grains of h4350 at 2700ft/sec. FL sizing with a with a 2thou bump. RDF 140’s @ 10 thou off the lands.  BR2 primer.
Normal case life?
It not just the shoulder bump that is of importance. Also look at what your FL sizing die is doing to the head of the brass. From just after fired to just after full length sizing, my FL sizing die reduces the head portion of the body about .0005 thousandths and they last a long time. I have used FL sizing dies in .308 that reduced the head diameter of the body .003 while reducing the shoulder bump only .001 thousandths.  Those pieces of brass didn't last as long. Basically you have to have a FL sizing die that matches you chamber.  I hope this helps.

Reply #10
It not just the shoulder bump that is of importance. Also look at what your FL sizing die is doing to the head of the brass. From just after fired to just after full length sizing, my FL sizing die reduces the head portion of the body about .0005 thousandths and they last a long time. I have used FL sizing dies in .308 that reduced the head diameter of the body .003 while reducing the shoulder bump only .001 thousandths.  Those pieces of brass didn't last as long. Basically you have to have a FL sizing die that matches you chamber.  I hope this helps.

Good point!

Reply #11
I measure the cases new on my Whidden case gauge and then after 1-2 firings. Usually new their .002-,  after firing .000  Once they get to .002+ I can tell when chambering or after firing, just a little sticky, so I know it's time to bump them back .002 to .000  then their GTG

Reply #12
Figured I would post my pic of the brass cut in half.

Reply #13
web of the case looks great after 6 reloads. thats the same charge weight i run in both my rifles.

Reply #14
I have 3 different F/L dies and the L.E. Wilson die resizes closest to my chamber dimensions. I use it to f/l and bump the shoulder and neck size with an LCD.