Skip to main content
Topic: Case trimmer?? (Read 1574 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Case trimmer??

Reply #60
Terry - great job with the video. You aggravated another one of my itches with the lathe! 🙄

Reply #61
Took a few minutes to make a little vid of the Tri Way in the lathe. Super happy with how this works. Handy excuse to buy a mini lathe. lol...

https://youtu.be/Q8q2dDd4Yl0
Now THAT'S what I call a 1st class case trimmer set-up! 
Yes, I realize speling is a chalunge for sum of us...I am inkluded in that grup, so pleze fourgiv me. Ski-U-Mah!

Reply #62
Talked to Greg at Giraud this afternoon about his TriWay trimmer, and that is not offered in 6.5cm. His response below, which basically says that the full size powered trimmer is the only thing available in 6.5cm.. Sigh.. I did like the idea of the TriWay in the lathe.

"The Triway is intended as an entry level tool for a very limited number of highly popular and milsurp cartridges.  The Creedmoor is a much more sophisticated cartridge intended for match and long range use.  The Triway isn’t suited for those purposes.

For those cartridges not supported by the Triway, I offer the full sized Powered Case Trimmer in over 160 different sizes suited to higher precision and high volume usage."

Reply #63
Get a Dillon RT 1200
or
Tri Way
or
Little Crow Gun Works Worlds finest trimmer. Chuck it in a drill.

Reply #64
I think that WFT may just get the nod.. The Giraud Power trimmer at $460 is kind of steep, vs. some more money for the Grizzly lathe, (and WFT) which would give me a whole lot more capability... 

Reply #65
I have one of the WCT from Ebay; Worlds Cheapest Trimmer for 6.5 Creedmoor and one in .223; they are like $24.  Used some unfired Starline brass to set it to 1.91".  Ran some factory Hornady brass thru it after firing the factory rounds, tumbling, resizing/depriming and it worked great, left a nice, smooth mouth.  Took about 2-3 seconds to trim to length, and I went over to my Lyman Case Prep station and cleaned the primer pockets, chamfered, deburred and cleaned out the inner case neck walls with a brush.   I have the WCT chucked up in a cheap Harbor Freight drill press.  I noticed that the Starline brass that I loaded and fired once (my first 6.5 Creedmoor reloads!) stretched MUCH less than the Hornady; some cases barely got trimmed at all in the WCT with the Starline and the Hornady all needed to be trimmed a good bit.  I measured and still at the 1.91 setting.  For $24, it works great!  It leaves some scuffs on the shoulder where it contacts the interior of the trimmer body, but it's from the friction, not scratches.

Reply #66
I have one of the WCT from Ebay; Worlds Cheapest Trimmer for 6.5 Creedmoor and one in .223; they are like $24.  Used some unfired Starline brass to set it to 1.91".  Ran some factory Hornady brass thru it after firing the factory rounds, tumbling, resizing/depriming and it worked great, left a nice, smooth mouth.  Took about 2-3 seconds to trim to length, and I went over to my Lyman Case Prep station and cleaned the primer pockets, chamfered, deburred and cleaned out the inner case neck walls with a brush.   I have the WCT chucked up in a cheap Harbor Freight drill press.  I noticed that the Starline brass that I loaded and fired once (my first 6.5 Creedmoor reloads!) stretched MUCH less than the Hornady; some cases barely got trimmed at all in the WCT with the Starline and the Hornady all needed to be trimmed a good bit.  I measured and still at the 1.91 setting.  For $24, it works great!  It leaves some scuffs on the shoulder where it contacts the interior of the trimmer body, but it's from the friction, not scratches.
Is this the Lyman case prep station you have and if yes how do you like it? https://www.amazon.com/6702203-Lyman-Case-Xpress-7810220/dp/B004TABTWU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527018085&sr=8-3&keywords=lyman+case+prep+multi-tool

Reply #67
I can't speak for Taz, but I have that Lyman case prep station and love it. I have added a Lee case trimmer and Lyman primer flash hole uniformer to it. 99 5 of the time it is used for chamfering the case mouth and primer pocket work.
RPR 6.5 Creedmoor
Bergara 6 Creedmoor

Reply #68
Yes, that is the one!  It sure beats doing it by hand!  I have the primer pocket cleaner, chamfer, deburr and brush for the neck set up. 

One thing I just noticed the last batch of 6.5 Creedmoor I trimmed.  Previously, the Hornady fired thru my Bergara B14 seemed to stretch a lot; it needed a good bit of trimming.  The same ammo fire thru my Savage 10T seemed like it was more like the Starline brass and didn't stretch; most of the brass thru my Savage 10T barely gets trimmed if at all.  Could my Bergara have had an oddly cut chamber or really long throat or something?  It didn't shoot all that well, wondering if that was the reason?

Reply #69
My guess is that they shoulder bump isn’t the same on the two of them or the head spacing is slightly different so you stretch one case more than the other each firing. One could have had a new reamer used to cut the chamber and one could have been a well used reamer.

Basically in less you are setting the head spacing all the same you will likely have some differences. Maybe a dedicated set of dies or trimmer for each one would solve your problem?
RPR 6.5 Creedmoor
Bergara 6 Creedmoor

Reply #70
I traded in the Bergars B14 HMR, so I only have the Savage now, but it was something I noticed when trimming the brass that was shot thru the Bergara first vs thru the Savage.