Skip to main content
Topic: Case trimmer?? (Read 1646 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Case trimmer??

Reply #15
This is of great interest to me. Especially like the adapted motor in the video. You using a drill or have you done the motor mod?

Just using a hand held drill at the moment. Portability works better for me right now. I will load up some brass to process (de-prime, trim, prime brass etc) and work on the it up at the lake home on occasion. When I get around to designing something I can break down for transport, I will go the mounted motor route as well.
Yes, I realize speling is a chalunge for sum of us...I am inkluded in that grup, so pleze fourgiv me. Ski-U-Mah!

Reply #16
Does this unit chamfer and deburr simultaneously?
Not sure if this was meant for me, but the Trim-It II will do both in one step as well as trim to length.
Yes, I realize speling is a chalunge for sum of us...I am inkluded in that grup, so pleze fourgiv me. Ski-U-Mah!

Reply #17
Thanks for the responses everyone. Leaning towards the Trim-it II. It performs all 3 operations at once and is multi-caliber capable. I'm thinking I can DIY a mounted motor similar to some of those on YouTube and make a pretty nice setup. Really want the big Giraud but just can't swallow the cost. Sure do wish they would make a Tri-Way for 6.5.

Reply #18
I will warn you, it's a little tricky to set up the 1st time, but once you have it dialed in, it works as advertised!     8)

Reply #19
I will warn you, it's a little tricky to set up the 1st time, but once you have it dialed in, it works as advertised!     8)

Probably no worse than the Giraud. I had quite a bit of time invested in getting it set right. I ordered the Trim-it II tonight. Robbed the variable speed motor off a Delta scroll saw that I haven't used in years to power it. Ordered some shaft couplers to mate the motor to the Trim-it and also to the Giraud so I guess we'll soon see how my DIY motor deal works out. 6.5 dies showed out of stock every place I looked except for a seller on Ebay so hopefully that one will actually be there.

Reply #20
I got one of the very last of Dustin's Dead On Trimmers which are finer tuned than the Trim It II and he was the one that designed the trimmer. Trim It purchased one of Dustin's trimmers and duplicated it and then filed a patent on Dustin's design as he was not in the game for it to be his sole income. Trim It sent Dustin a letter threatening to sue him if he did not cease and desist making and selling his trimmer as it infringed upon their patent. That is the history of Trim It. The dead on is easier to use and adjust and turns out perfect results consistently. I plan on getting an 1/8 hp motor and modifying the shaft to accept a 1/2 inch drill chuck to run it as a horizontal bench trimmer instead of in my benchtop drill press. It uses WFT's inserts as that is where Dustin got his idea to improve upon the WFT trimmer. I also have a Frankford Arsenal case prep center and have that trimmer set up for one of my other calibers. that is an awesome package and I also use it with the RCBS military crimp remover when I have crimped primer pocket brass to prep.
Stop the Gun Rights Abuse @ #Me2A

Reply #21
I got one of the very last of Dustin's Dead On Trimmers which are finer tuned than the Trim It II and he was the one that designed the trimmer. Trim It purchased one of Dustin's trimmers and duplicated it and then filed a patent on Dustin's design as he was not in the game for it to be his sole income. Trim It sent Dustin a letter threatening to sue him if he did not cease and desist making and selling his trimmer as it infringed upon their patent. That is the history of Trim It. The dead on is easier to use and adjust and turns out perfect results consistently. I plan on getting an 1/8 hp motor and modifying the shaft to accept a 1/2 inch drill chuck to run it as a horizontal bench trimmer instead of in my benchtop drill press. It uses WFT's inserts as that is where Dustin got his idea to improve upon the WFT trimmer. I also have a Frankford Arsenal case prep center and have that trimmer set up for one of my other calibers. that is an awesome package and I also use it with the RCBS military crimp remover when I have crimped primer pocket brass to prep.

Well this is disturbing. I had seen the Dead on trimmer video's on YouTube. Had no idea why they stopped making them. Guess I need to rethink the entire thing now. Thanks for letting me know.

Reply #24
Thanks TerryH! Found what I needed. A 5/8" to 1/2" clamp on coupler to put my Dead On Trimmer on a 1/2hp 3450rpm Dayton motor that has a 5/8 shank. It was 1/2 the price as at Grainger.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005L69T1Y/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You might want to look at this style coupler for better stability from more bearing surface on the shafts and a more secure connection with clamp versus set screw.

Reply #25
Thanks TerryH! Found what I needed. A 5/8" to 1/2" clamp on coupler to put my Dead On Trimmer on a 1/2hp 3450rpm Dayton motor that has a 5/8 shank. It was 1/2 the price as at Grainger.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005L69T1Y/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You might want to look at this style coupler for better stability from more bearing surface on the shafts and a more secure connection with clamp versus set screw.

Thanks. Tried to put it together today but turns out that the motor that I am/was going to use for this project has a 10mm shaft not 3/8. Robbed another off something else and it's 10mm  also. Think I'll order one of the clamp on style couplers and drill one side to 10mm. The other coupler is obviously too small for the motor shaft and is a sloppy fit on the 3/8" arbor of the Giraud. Sheesh.

Reply #26
Thanks. Tried to put it together today but turns out that the motor that I am/was going to use for this project has a 10mm shaft not 3/8. Robbed another off something else and it's 10mm  also. Think I'll order one of the clamp on style couplers and drill one side to 10mm. The other coupler is obviously too small for the motor shaft and is a sloppy fit on the 3/8" arbor of the Giraud. Sheesh.
Stick with the clamp on couplers to keep everything tight and balanced especially when you are going to spin it at high speed. the tiniest wobble will create disaster.

Reply #27
Stick with the clamp on couplers to keep everything tight and balanced especially when you are going to spin it at high speed. the tiniest wobble will create disaster.

Thanks. Seems the only avenue at this point is to buy the 3/8 to 3/8 clamp on and try to open one end to 10mm to fit the shaft. I think it's going to be a pretty cool little deal if I can get it to work.

Reply #28
The Trim-it II arrived today and much to my surprise it looks totally different that what I see on line. It even has a lexan cover to capture the chips. Did a quick video of the first impressions and comparison to the Giraud.

https://youtu.be/dkv_x-aQ8UI

Reply #29
Hey Terry - great job on the video! Seriously.

When you get that on a motor it’s going to be a very good setup.