News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Got a Viper PST Gen 2

Started by Cleveland48, February 19, 2018, 08:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cleveland48

So I got this scope Saturday in the 3-15x44. This is the first scope I've owned with these type of reticles. I don't know much about these types of scopes, so do y'all think this is dependable scope? Also my first vortex, I've always had Leupold and Nikon scopes for hunting. The viper is going on my heavy barrel Howa 6.5 CM to play with at longer ranges. Which will be a max of around 500-550 yards, since that is as far as I have a place to shoot. I know vortex has a great warranty and a lot of people love them, but on some other forums I've noticed a lot of people say they are junk unless they are the Razor. I know you guys on here are some of the most experienced long range shooters I know, and I trust y'alls opinion on good glass. So shoot me straight did I screw up, or is this a good scope for what distances I'll be practicing? Also the glass seems to be of good quality, and it has very positive clicks. The zero stop also seems very nice and solid. Won't get to sight it in until this weekend, so I'm just loading up some eld-x and waiting. Thanks for any help guys!

gman47564

nothing junk about the pst  in my book... I have a hst and my buddy has the pst and their both good scopes... I'm guessing the guys saying their junk has never owned one... or it has to be junk since it didn't cost 3500 dollars... you got ya a quality scope in my opinion...
Grant

Cleveland48

Quote from: gman47564 on February 19, 2018, 08:09:21 PMnothing junk about the pst  in my book... I have a hst and my buddy has the pst and their both good scopes... I'm guessing the guys saying their junk has never owned one... or it has to be junk since it didn't cost 3500 dollars... you got ya a quality scope in my opinion...
Thanks for the positive words. All I knew when I was looking at it was the glass looked good, turrents were very sharp, and the zero stop was nice.

VA-XBolt

I bought the Vortex Viper HST 4-16x44 for my X-Bolt hunting rifle last October. A great scope and has worked well so far. Also bought a Vortex Razor HD-II for another rifle solely for longer distances, and some PRS matches (I hope). Similarly, and unsurprisingly another great scope.

fiddlinduke

I just picked up a vortex viper hst 6x24x50 for my t/c compass 6.5    rings should be here today. These vipers are nice scopes. i have a diamondback 4x12x40 on my daughters 25-06 and it is a great scope for sub 200$  short eye relief on the diamonback is the only drawback I have found

Rob01

Nothing junk about the PST Gen II. Some good upgrades from the original and better glass. You will be just fine for your needs and more.

Cleveland48

Thanks for the reassurance guys! I'm ready to try it out this weekend. This rifle did have the nikon monarch 3-12x42 with xrt turrent on it. I bought a RAP with the new aics type mag setup to put it on for a hunting rig. It has been a great scope also. Will be sighting them both in Saturday if it doesn't rain.

tg2403

Hello Cleveland48 and all,
We own 4 Vortex scopes. 2- 6x24 Viper PST, 1- 4x16 Viper PST and a new Gen II Viper PST 3x15. I am amazed at the difference between the Gen I and Gen II that we own. It has me thinking about selling the Gen I scopes for Gen II. My wife bought the Gen II for her 22-250. It seems to be taking me forever to get a load worked up for it. At least that is what I tell her.  O:)
I shoot up to 1000 yards with my 6.5 CM RPR with the Gen I 6x24. I have had no problems with any of mine as of yet.
Cleveland48 IMO your going to love it! ;D

Tim G

FYI Yes this is my first post. But I have been lurking for several years
Ruger Precision G2 6.5 CM Vortex Viper PST 5x25 G2
Ruger Predator 6.5 CM Vortex Viper PST 6x24 G1

Cleveland48

Quote from: tg2403 on February 20, 2018, 12:19:00 PMHello Cleveland48 and all,
We own 4 Vortex scopes. 2- 6x24 Viper PST, 1- 4x16 Viper PST and a new Gen II Viper PST 3x15. I am amazed at the difference between the Gen I and Gen II that we own. It has me thinking about selling the Gen I scopes for Gen II. My wife bought the Gen II for her 22-250. It seems to be taking me forever to get a load worked up for it. At least that is what I tell her.  O:)
I shoot up to 1000 yards with my 6.5 CM RPR with the Gen I 6x24. I have had no problems with any of mine as of yet.
Cleveland48 IMO your going to love it! ;D

Tim G

FYI Yes this is my first post. But I have been lurking for several years

Thank for the helpful info! I've never looked through the gen 1's, but I do know the glass in the gen 2 is really nice.

CaptGrumpy

Congrats on upgrading your glass for your firestick. The only problem with getting a Vortex Viper is you will be buying more of them.
I have 2 HST 6-24X50 coming. I have the GenII PST on my M24Defiance Deviant rifle and love it.
I also love the military discount from Vortex! They rock!
Chris
Yup! That is a 6.5 in my saddle scabbard

Cleveland48

Quote from: CaptGrumpy on February 20, 2018, 03:21:37 PMCongrats on upgrading your glass for your firestick. The only problem with getting a Vortex Viper is you will be buying more of them.
I have 2 HST 6-24X50 coming. I have the GenII PST on my M24Defiance Deviant rifle and love it.
I also love the military discount from Vortex! They rock!
Dang it'll be awhile before I can afford another one of these haha. Definetly the most I've ever spent on glass.

LeadHammer

Up here in Canada, Vortex gets mixed reviews. Lots sent back for repair. To be fair, since scopes cost so much more up here, Vortex is popular and the reason for returns for repair could be because of the volume.  I have a Viper myself and it has been fine. However that PST 2. 3-15 is still on my short list.

Cleveland48

Quote from: LeadHammer on February 21, 2018, 09:56:05 AMUp here in Canada, Vortex gets mixed reviews. Lots sent back for repair. To be fair, since scopes cost so much more up here, Vortex is popular and the reason for returns for repair could be because of the volume.  I have a Viper myself and it has been fine. However that PST 2. 3-15 is still on my short list.
I went with the 3-15 since I hunt a lot of thickets, and 15 power will be plenty for practicing I will do at 500 yards.

LeadHammer

Yes the 3X will be great up close. My Viper is only 4-12, and It was no problem at 600, so I think the 15X should be sufficient out to 1000.

Cleveland48

Quote from: LeadHammer on February 21, 2018, 10:53:43 AMYes the 3X will be great up close. My Viper is only 4-12, and It was no problem at 600, so I think the 15X should be sufficient out to 1000.

15x will be plenty for me I only have about 500- maybe 550 yards to shoot.