Skip to main content
Topic: Lee dies w 6.5 ELD-X bullets (Read 749 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Lee dies w 6.5 ELD-X bullets

Reply #15
I'm the guy that did the epoxy form. The initial work failed. The epoxy
seemed not to cure hard enough. I then used Devcon, for much better
results. The plug I'm using now is the first one I lapped. Concentricity
wise there is no difference between the Lee and my Redding Comp die,
I'm finding. As for the Devcon plug ??  I reformed it to the Nosler RDF.
Once the work with the SMK's is done, I'll play with them just to satisfy
myself. In the mean time, the Redding comp die is going down the road.
Probably donate it to the junior rifle fund raiser.  ;)
Keeping my bad Kharma intact since 1952

Reply #16
Just thinking out loud, Redding makes competition VLD seater stems for their dies.
Do you guys think those stems would work with ELD-X and ELD-M bullets?

Reply #17
I love my Lee collet neck sizers and I use Lee crimp dies for rounds that need such things...

Tim

Reply #18
Just thinking out loud, Redding makes competition VLD seater stems for their dies.
Do you guys think those stems would work with ELD-X and ELD-M bullets?
I bought the VLD micrometer seating stem. However Redding packaged it wrong. They put a regular one in. Hopefully get it in a week from now.

Reply #19
I bought the VLD micrometer seating stem. However Redding packaged it wrong. They put a regular one in. Hopefully get it in a week from now.
Great! Please let me know if it works.
Thanks!

Reply #20
Like 6.5savageguy said lighten up on neck tension a bit and the Lee die will do well.i use a Foerster micro seater die now but I loaded a lot of the 143 eldx with the Lee seater die before I got the Foerster with no problems. I have also noticed the Foerster die will leave a slight ring around the ogive if I have a little to much neck tension. 1and a half or 2 thou. Neck tension and either seater does fine.
Grant

Reply #22
Just as an aside note.  I would not recommend lightening up on neck tension if the rounds are to be fired in an auto loader.  Unless you have specific data as to how much is too much, caution is in order.  If you are building maximum pressure loads, even magazine fed bolt guns could be problematic with insufficient neck tension.

I received my new Forster Benchrest seating die yesterday.  Currently I am experimenting with ELD-X bullets with the intent of coming up with a good long distance hunting load.  These 143g bullets come with a plastic tip.  The Lee seating die pushes down on the top of the bullet without supporting it and it WILL deform this particular bullet.  It would be ok for Partition or Accubond shaped bullets.

My new Forster seating die arrived with a less than wonderful seating stem for use with the ELD-X.  It left a small circular mark on the bullets where the seating stem comes into contact with the bullet. (This was mentioned in another post.)  I took the die apart and under good light I could see the cause of the bullet contact mark.  The actual cup that holds the bullet is simply not of a correct shape for this very long bullet. 

The radius of the lower part of the cup which comes into contact with the bullet, (near the ogive) needs to be relieved some.  A short bit of work with a dremel and a polishing felt and I had no more marks on my bullets.

I am sure the Forster seating die stem would be perfect for nearly any other bullets that were not quite so long.

Reply #23
Do this at your own risk, I have done this with good results your mileage may vary.
Chuck the seating stem in a drill, fill the pocket with automotive polishing compound.
While spinning the stem slowly in the drill take a bullet and push with lite pressure into the stem.
Make sure there is polishing compound in the stem and repeat with a new bullet.
Do this with three bullets and you should have no marks on your bullets,

This will NOT help with a seating stem that that the bullet tip bottoms out.

Reply #24
Yes, within minutes of noticing my crush marks on my ELD-X bullets from using my new Forster Seating Die, I took it apart and radiused the inside edge of the seating stem cup.  A bit of polishing with a felt and some valve grinding compound and the problem was solved.

It would appear that the ELD series of bullets is just stretched out enough to where many of the various manufacturers seating stems that were designed to accommodate VLD bullets DONT accommodate ELD bullets.

As a result, Redding, Hornady and few others offer a seating stem specifically for the ELD bullets.  I don't mean for this statement to prompt all of those out there who use these dies to come to their defense.  Some seating die stems designed for VLD bullets will work for ELD bullets, just not as good.

Some of us who spend lots of money trying to purchase the tools that allow us to wring out that last bazillianth of an inch of accuracy out of our loads cannot tolerate "almost fits".

I have been in a dialogue with Forster Customer Service and their technicians about this.  They plead ignorance of the problem but yet admit they haven't had any experience with ELD bullets.  Makes sense that they don't know about the problem if they don't know about the popularity of the ELD bullets for the 6.5 Creedmoor. 

I have modified mine to where it works ok but I was a bit disappointed.  I wish now that I had bought the Redding.  They have the appropriate seating stem for the ELD bullets.

I have tested the Forster seating die stem with Amax's, MatchKings and Bergers it works great for them.

Reply #25
Crazy JZ

I spoke with Forster when the RDFs first came out  and asked it the bullet would work with the stem it comes with. They said they didn't know as they hadn't seen any RDFs yet either, but if it didn't work send them my stem and a couple bullets and they would profile it to fit the RDF for no cost. I would think they'd do the same for you?
RPR 6.5 Creedmoor
Bergara 6 Creedmoor

Reply #26
Perhaps.  We have not discussed that as of yet.  I have a small gunshop so I have the tools and the willingness to put a grinder to a new set of dies.  I have already modified mine to work.

My point being, that if you shoot ELD's, the Forster Seating Die won't work as advertised.  Still doable but will require a modification on the buyers part.  Since I have been in contact with Forster, they have been very kind in listening to my issue.

They still claim ignorance of this issue but I can't believe nobody else has contacted them about it.  In the meantime, if you want a benchrest seating die for a 6.5 Creedmoor and you intend to shoot ELD bullets, don't get the Forster.  Get the Redding or the Hornady that comes with the correct ELD seating die stem..

Reply #27
I have run into this problem two or three times over the years.  Most of the manufacturers (RCBS, Hornady, Forster, etc) realized 10 years ago that VLD bullets were here to stay.  (Apparently not Lee.)

When I had those issues, the die makers were already aware of the problem and had already manufactured seating stems for VLD bullets.  A phone call is all that was needed to get the correct part on the way.  (Again, apparently, not LEE).

I like the Lee collet die.  Had I of known what a pos the seater die was, I would have bought a Redding or Forster set of dies and bought the collet die by itself later.  Live and learn. 

I won't be buying any more Lee dies.  Their products are usually ok but their customer service is awful.

In other calibers and with other dies, I have run across the bullet actually getting wedged into the seater stem before.  I took a small dremel and smoothed out the inside radius, sort of rounded off the inside edge and the sticking stopped and I had not further problems.

Even us old folks learn something now and then.  NO MORE LEE DIES!

I saw a gentleman a couple weekends ago that had a Hornady ELD bullet stuck in the seater stem of a Redding die.  It made me call Forster to make sure my Ultra Micrometer seater die is okay for the ELD/VLD/RFD bullets.  They said it is based on a marking at the base of the seater stem.

EDIT: I meant to say they said "yes" based on the markings at the base of my seater stem. 

Reply #28
Yes, the Forster seating stem can be modified to fit the ELD bullets.  The how to's of it are well covered on the internet.  Just go slow so as not to remove too much metal. 

I like Forster "Seating Dies".  I have them in .300 win mag and .308.  I have used them without issue for years (using VLD bullets).  I have not loaded any ELD bullets in those calibers so I am unsure what I will find.  At any rate, somewhere down the road, they will get tired of folks like me calling them about their dies that won't work with specific bullets and they will fix it.  Until then, I guess we will have to fix them ourselves or send our new dies back to the manufacturer to be modified before they will work properly.

Reply #29

EDIT: I meant to say they said "yes" based on the markings at the base of my seater stem. 

Please tell us what those markings are so we can check ours!
RPR 6.5 Creedmoor
Bergara 6 Creedmoor