Skip to main content
Topic: Tested 147 ELD Factory ammo (Read 480 times) previous topic - next topic

Tested 147 ELD Factory ammo

Was out today testing the 147 ELD factory load today in the 28 degree sunny NC day. Shot it to 650 yards and it was all under 1/2MOA at 450, 550 and 650. Below is 5 at 650 yards. I shot the three on the bottom and was seeing no new splash so I held a little higher and shot the next two. Using the dollar it looks like about a 2.5" group. Can't complain about that with factory ammo. Velocity was about 2720fps from the lot I have in my 27" barrel.

Re: Tested 147 ELD Factory ammo

Reply #1
Nice shooting rob
Grant

Reply #2
Dang! You had to fudge your group to see where you are hitting? I'd say it doesn't get any better than that. Most can't do that with hand loads! Okay, me.
RPR 6.5 Creedmoor
Bergara 6 Creedmoor

Reply #3
Rob S. is one of the top shooters on this forum.  He's like E.F. Hutton, when he's speaks, you listen!  ;) 

Reply #4
Rob....Is your barrel an 8:1 twist ?
Keeping my bad Kharma intact since 1952

Reply #6
Any chance of you getting to play with the 147 in the PRC this year ??
Keeping my bad Kharma intact since 1952

Reply #7
Any chance of you getting to play with the 147 in the PRC this year ??

None whatsoever. LOL Don't plan on building a new rifle around it as it would require more than a new barrel for me not. Don;t have anything with that boltface or mag set up needed. If it was as easy as a barrel I would get one but in the next year or so I don;t see myself getting one.

Reply #8
Great shooting Rob. I've had exactly the same results from my RPR at 200 yards. Tight 3/4" groups. I dunno if I could do as well as your 650 yard group. Doubtful.
My nice Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 scope is what helps me get those 200 yard groups.

->When I'm shooting the RPR in our local "varmint" match to 960 yards at graduated MOA steel squares I can usually hit them 4 out of 5 shots at that distance using 140 gr. ELD-M factory rounds. I can NOT outguess our [email protected] wind here in Nevada's Mojave.

Interestingly I even got  mostly 1" groups at 200 yards with the 147 gr. ELD-Ms with my RAP W/ Boyd's Classic laminated stock and Timney trigger. THAT amazed me. I had my 3- 14 x 42 SWFA scope cranked to 15x and those groups had me smiling. "Minute of prairie dog".

Eric B.

"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

Reply #9
Great shooting but I've never understood why people use dollar bills, quarters, nickels, and dimes to measure groups. Tape measures are cheap. I have one in every range bag or box I own, and usually one in my pocket. If I could shoot groups like that, everyone would know the exact measurement.
Savage 12 LRP

Reply #10
Great shooting but I've never understood why people use dollar bills, quarters, nickels, and dimes to measure groups. Tape measures are cheap. I have one in every range bag or box I own, and usually one in my pocket. If I could shoot groups like that, everyone would know the exact measurement.

Sometimes when you are hundreds of yards down range and don't have a ruler you use what you got. It's pretty universal.

Reply #11
Oh, I know. I was just messin' with ya. I think everyone has done it before.
Like MLN1963 said, when you have to fudge your group to see where you are hitting? It doesn't get any better than that.
Savage 12 LRP

Reply #12
Damn good shooting!

Kind of makes me question why I'm going to all the trouble and expense to reload my own. Yes, there is the satisfaction part. Pretty much the same as tying my own flies for fishing, cause I'm certainly not saving any money there either..