Savage 10 Predator????

Started by z, January 18, 2019, 11:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z

I'm looking at buying the older model with the 24 inch fluted barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor. Anyone have experience with it and can tell me what they think and how accurate it is?
Live with honor and ride with courage. Be friendly to all those you meet.  But always carry a knife in your boot and a gun on your hip 'cuz there are those that don't think the same as this.

DHuffman

New or used? The Savage barrels are good to very good as a rule but as with any factory gun there's a chance you'll get a turd. The 24" tube will / should allow very good velocity and accuracy. The Model 10 action is one of the best platforms out there in terms of function, dependability & accuracy as well as being a perfect candidate for a DIY custom pre fit barrel swap without breaking the bank.

Is the Model 10 a top or bottom bolt release? I've had both and it's not a huge deal breaker for me but I prefer the top release. I'm a big fan of these rifles.

Dave

z

Thanks Savage guy. It is new, but the older model without the adjustable buttock. I don't know where the bolt release is.
Live with honor and ride with courage. Be friendly to all those you meet.  But always carry a knife in your boot and a gun on your hip 'cuz there are those that don't think the same as this.

DHuffman

Quote from: z on January 18, 2019, 11:41:24 AMThanks Savage guy. It is new, but the older model without the adjustable buttock. I don't know where the bolt release is.

I would bet it's bottom, do you have a picture? Again it's not a deal breaker. It can be an issue swapping stocks sometimes but there is usually a work around.
Dave

z

Danbonzo

That photo is bottom.
Depress both bolt release and trigger at same time.
RIP Chris Cornell

DHuffman

Dan is correct as long as that's an actual vs a stock photo. I think the "predator" line came out when almost if not everything was bottom bolt release.
Dave

gman47564

yep the savage 10 predator hunter is a bottom bolt release... I've had one for about 3 years now.. fine rifle and the accuracy wont disappoint ya...
Grant

Darryle

I just bought one, looking forward to getting to the range with it.

Funny thing is that I ordered a Tikka T3x Stainless Laminate that was supposed to have the 24" barrel, it came with a 22.4" barrel. I was disappointed, dealer is trying to make it right, everything listed it as 24". They are going to try and get me the 24" version.

They made me a deal on this Savage Predator 6.5, said no one was interested in it since it wasn't threaded.
NRA Patriot Life Benefactor * GOA Life Member * TSRA Life Member * NSCA Life Member

Orezona

I've had that rifle for 2 deer seasons.  I put a Zeiss HD5 on it with Talley lightweights.  It's been a good deer killing combination with factory Winchester ammo (2017) and Nosler Trophy Grade AB's (2018).

Lizard Man

I have this gun in .223 and I absolutely love it. shooting one hole groups with the right load. My 6.5 is a savage as well, shooting one hole groups right out of the box. I love Savage, and have never had accuracy problems with them, my 6.5 being my fourth one. Hope you enjoy, and welcome to the 6.5 family.