News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Nice find today.

Started by gman47564, July 13, 2018, 05:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman47564

First I will apologize for this not being creed moor related. With that being said would like to hear you guys thoughts on this. Today at work I ran across a deal on a shotgun I couldn't pass up. I bought a Belgium Browning a5 magnum 12 gauge with a 30 inch full choke barrel new in the box. It hasn't even had the packing took off it. Was made in Belgium. Nice old gun. My question is what's it worth.
Grant

gman47564

Couple pics the way I got it
Grant

Wilson1911

I'll give you 500 right now. The old Belgium guns are very nice......buy it and keep it.

What year was it made ?

DAM how did you find that ?????? still in the wrapper !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This would be one of those instances where you say......they don't make them like that anymore.

CONGRATS ON THE FIND !!!
I am not the biggest, nor the fastest.  I will not fall short or stray off my target. I am a surgical instrument, who lives in the X ring. I am the 6.5 Creedmoor with deadly precision.

gman47564

Thanks Wilson. I'm not sure what year it was made yet. Will try to figure that out. A inspector I work with step dad had it and passed away a couple years ago and he got it today. And he showed it to me and like you I offered him 500 for it and he said no. I told him I didn't blame him. Lol. A hour or so later I told him 700 today and today only. He thought about it for a bit and said I think it's worth more than that and asked for 800. I told him no 700 was all I would give. And he took it. I think it's worth twice that. Any way I won't sell it. Hopefully my boy will give me a grandson some day and I will pass it on to him when the time comes. Just wondering what it's worth.
Grant

Ranger 188

+1 on the great find.  Those older one are the better made and highly prized.  I always wanted to buy one years ago.  They were one of the best 12ga. made and yours is untouched..    Since you don't need to sell for the money, I would keep it and pass it on down.  Value $2000.00 ?
Priceless   ;)

If you think you got ripped off, I'll take it off your hands for--- $500.00 

jvw2008

gman47564

Wilson the gun was made in 73. 45 years old. Hard for me to comprehend  someone having a gun for 45 years and not taking it out of the box and shooting it...
Grant

rardoin

That is a nice find!  I never liked the aesthetics of those old 'square back' receivers but they are as reliable as they get.

sportacus

Congratulations!  Awesome find.
If you have the shot, take it.

Danbonzo

You stepped in $h!t sir. Keeper
RIP Chris Cornell

ohiococonut

Quote from: Danbonzo on July 14, 2018, 06:05:20 AMYou stepped in $h!t sir. Keeper

And came out smelling like a rose!

A rare find indeed. The Blue Book of Gun Values has an interesting read on the Brownings.
In the early 80's when I was shooting trap a friend of mine consistently cleared 25 birds with one of those and competed at Vandalia placing in several competitions. Sadly he would just throw it behind the seat of his truck!
In 100% condition WITH the box the value just went up!
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you. It's what you leave behind you when you go.

sportacus

Have stumbled into a few killer finds in my day, but nothing like what Grant just pulled off.  Several years ago, was on a quest for Browning Belgian made "Sweet Sixteens".  Found a few, a couple were acceptable, but the others obviously had been slammed around in duck blinds and duck boats, mudded up and neglected.  When I would handle one of the "beaters", was overwhelmed by sadness.  That emotion quickly replaced by the urge to find the original owner and club him till he cried for his Mama.  Am a dedicated rifleman, but Belgian A-5's and Winchester Model 12's are a weakness of mine. 

gman47564

Sportacus the guy I got this from also had a new looking model 12 in his trunk. I tried to buy it also but he said he thought he would keep it. But the bug is in his ear and working on him I'm sure. May have that one also in a few days.
Grant

sportacus

Grant,
You are killing me.  Was doing hunting season prep on a couple of rifles, but now my mind has started to wander to shotgun heaven.  For relief, will soak the barn cat Bobbi down with the hose and mow the yard in 105 degree indexed heat.  That should relieve the stress.  LOL.
Wayne

Litehiker

As my oldest grandson used to say, "I yike it."

Those humpbacks are great shotguns, been going strong since the '20s.

I have a '20s photo from my grandad's collection with a married guy and his girlfriend (according to my mother). She has an old Winchester pump and he has a Browning Auto 5. They shot rabbits and grouse that are displayed by a '20s Buick. Evidently he had some money - at least enough to support a wife and mistress plus buy the best shotgun and a good car. ;o)

Eric B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."