News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

"EMBRACING THE SUCK" (of my RAP's lack of bolt lock)

Started by Litehiker, September 03, 2018, 04:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Litehiker

OK, so after searching for a solution to my Ruger American Predator's lack of bolt lock I must embrace that suck and carry it with no cartridge in the chamber.
Yes, I can attach a small hook to the left side of the stock and run a ladies elastic hair band from the bolt handle under the stock to the hook. A Rube Goldberg solution but it will work. I'm looking for an appropriate "hook". Send your ideas here...

I find the RAP action was made that way for mainly legal reasons and the Remington has done the same for the 700. (But If I was a company that had Remington's reputation for unsafe triggers I'd be doing that too.)

No gunsmith I've talked to is willing to make ANY kind of bolt lock for fear of legal troubles, regardless of what I sign.
Entirely understandable.

I'm getting damn sick and tired of this "nanny state" mentality that feels it must protect us form ourselves. If accidents happen with bolt locks requiring the shooter move these to "OFF SAFE" to open the bolt then that idiot is a candidate for The Darwin Award.
This legal situation entirely explains why Browning uses a bolt lift button on the root of the bolt for their X-Bolt rifles. It permits opening the bolt WHILE the rifle is on safe. The more I look at X-Bolts the more I like them.

Eric B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

sportacus

Eric B.
We have RAPs and X Bolts.  With the Rugers, part of our drill now is to make sure the bolt is full down before the booger hook engages the bang switch.  Dianna has a 147" south Texas whitetail on the wall named "Chance". Why?  When he showed and she squeezed, NADA. He bolted and made the fatal mistake of coming back 10 minutes later. No second chance. Consider keeping your RAP and get a X Bolt.  If in no hurry, the new X Bolts will be revealed at the 2019 Shot Show, mid Jan 2019.
If you have the shot, take it.

Litehiker

Sporty,

Do you know anything about the new 2019 X-Bolts? Are there any significant changes or just a few new options?

Eric B.

BTW, I just got off the phone with Browning customer service and the gent said all of their 6.5 CM X-Bolts now have a 1:7 twist.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

sportacus

Eric,
Said in another post, suspect Bergera, Tikka, Ruger and others that kept 1:8 will do well.  The new X Bolts might turn out to be hammers, but I will watch from afar.
If you have the shot, take it.

Litehiker

"... but I will watch from afar."  Hee, hee   Wise counsel.
If I don't find a 1:8 6.5 CM X- Bolt (used or new) I'll just "watch from afar" as well.

There are a lot of things to like about the X-Bolt including the bolt release button (while on safe), the 3 lever trigger and the 3 lug 60 deg. handle throw. Plus Browning does have the barrels lapped and that's good to know.

Well, time to throw a Di Giorno pizza in the oven. Wifey is just getting into Nevada from Idaho and Edmonton Canada before that.
Whe was visiting relatives with her female cousins - all Filipinas. Sez she misses me. So I'll have to ask for a "whole body massage" when she returns. If I get it then I'll know she really missed me. ;o)

Eric B.