Zeiss HD5 5-25 x 50 PROBLEM

Started by r100rs, October 02, 2018, 10:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r100rs

First off has anyone ever hear of anyone getting a bad HD5 or having problems with one? I am doing load development on a 22-250 and can not get it to shoot anything well. Have tried 5 or more different bullets and nothing shoots well. Last week was out trying again and I noticed when shooting  3 shot groups with 5 different powder charges that I was getting 2 bullets hitting side by side (almost touching) and the 3rd almost an inch to a inch and a half straight down from the other two shots. Out of the 5 groups I shot on 3 of them the odd shot was below on one there where two down low and one an inch high. Looking at these targets I was all of a sudden thinking maybe its the scope and not the gun.  I checked the scope mounts and everything is tight.
On the same day shooting my 6.5CM I was able to shoot 3 sub .4 inch groups so at least with the 6.5 I must be doing something right.
 Any one had this type of issues?  Any help would be welcome.
thks

LeadHammer

Did you try checking the action screw? 

MTMAN

Check for parallax by moving your head around without touching the rifle. I have a 3-15 HD5 and it will place bullets in odd places if I haven't reset the parallax to the proper range - especially at 100 yd.

r100rs

Action screws are tight. I also have a HD5 3-15x42 which is on my 6.5CM which same day was shooting <1/2 inch groups.  For my next trip to range I have put on a different scope to try with same loads to try and see if it is the gun or the scope. If its still all over the place it might be the gun. If not I will try the HD5 5x25 again and will try spending more time adjusting the  parallax.
thks

Sierra49er

Don't have that particular model, but the V4 is excellent and I plan to buy another.
In adversity remember to keep an even mind, train hard and fight easy.
                            Horace and Alexander Suvorov

r100rs

So after my last trip to the range, I sent it back to Zeiss. Was told they are sending me a new replacement. Might even get it for Christmas:) Now to redo 2 yrs of load development. If it don't shoot now it Krieger Time.