Skip to main content
Topic: Need 20 moa rail Tikka T3X Tac A-1 (not anymore, got rings instead) (Read 2148 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Need 20 moa rail Tikka T3X Tac A-1 (not anymore, got rings instead)

Reply #15
.- I am looking for a Spuhr Mount
makw, be my guest.  I declined his kind offer.
Tikka T3x Tac A1 6.5 cm

Reply #16
My concern about a 20 moa rail for my T3X Tac A-1 (in 6.5 cm) is about potential problems matching with the rail over the handguard.  One would think that someone has such a rail for sale, including a photo of how it looks on this rifle.

I know this post is probably dead but I wanted to address your issue. I had a 20 MOA rail made for mine.

Reply #17
If you don't  mind my asking, how much did the custom rail cost?

Reply #18
If you don't  mind my asking, how much did the custom rail cost?

Too much when said and done! The only reason I had it sent out and made was because I had already taken the factory rail off! I was assured by multiple vendors their rail would fit the TAC A1 model, come to find out nobody is making one. And my peronal preference is to mount my scopes with rings. So I paid the minimum charge to have it made. By the time everything was tallied (drawing/design, 7075 aluminum bar stock, screws, annodizing, etc) it was not worth the venture for 1 rail. So I had as many rails made out of the 1 piece of bar stock as possible. I will be listing the left over rails soon, once I finish mounting/lapping my scope.
In summary, definitely not worth it for 1 rail.

Reply #19
I know I am late to this thread and maybe I am the only one moving scopes between rifles but given that I sometimes shoot semi-autos, I have standardized on 0 MOA rails and always mount the scope in  20 MOA mounts.  I have used both the Nightforce Unimounts as well as the LaRue QD mounts like the LT112.

I used to be afraid that I would loose the zero but both mounts reliably return to zero when used on the same rifle.  I do have to take some notes when I move the mount to a different rifle.  I use the LaRue index clips, a plastic picatinny clip-on, that makes it easy to reattach the the mount exactly where it was.

You are going to love the Tikka T3X TAC A1.  I like mine so much I have two!  It is surprising that it does not come with a canted scope base but there are a lot of good options.

If you do use either of the examples that I use, and you use a sun shade on your optic, it is a challenge to find scope covers that will work and not interfere with the rail.  I've had to "modify" some by removing some of the plastic material to make them work.  If using Nightforce Optics the Tenebraex covers work fine.

Henryrifle

Reply #20
I know I am late to this thread and maybe I am the only one moving scopes between rifles but given that I sometimes shoot semi-autos, I have standardized on 0 MOA rails and always mount the scope in  20 MOA mounts.  I have used both the Nightforce Unimounts as well as the LaRue QD mounts like the LT112.

I used to be afraid that I would loose the zero but both mounts reliably return to zero when used on the same rifle.  I do have to take some notes when I move the mount to a different rifle.  I use the LaRue index clips, a plastic picatinny clip-on, that makes it easy to reattach the the mount exactly where it was.

You are going to love the Tikka T3X TAC A1.  I like mine so much I have two!  It is surprising that it does not come with a canted scope base but there are a lot of good options.

If you do use either of the examples that I use, and you use a sun shade on your optic, it is a challenge to find scope covers that will work and not interfere with the rail.  I've had to "modify" some by removing some of the plastic material to make them work.  If using Nightforce Optics the Tenebraex covers work fine.

Henryrifle

HR,

I'd like to hear more about your experience with these mounts. I'm a novice and am intrigued by how you are switching them out and your take on the 2 mounts you mention.

I have a new T3x Tac A1 myself and have just topped it with NF SHV 5-20 x 56. I understand from NF customer service that the best Unimount for this combo would be the 20 MOA 1.5" (A221 Part #)

Do you have a preference between the 2, ie NF vs LaRue?

Thank you!

Reply #21
Take a look at the Warne product line.  I contacted them directly and they made a recommendation for my rifle.
See you at the range.

Reply #22
Sorry for the delayed response.  I have the same SHV scope and it is a good one.  Have shot well past 1000 yards with it. The NF 1.5" mount is a good mount and will work for you.  I have a few of them too.  The difference between the LaRue and the NF mount is that the LaRue has quick detach levers that allows for a tool-less removal and attachment.  This may not be completely true if moving from one rifle to another as not all rails are identical.  The LaRue does come with a small wrench for adjusting the engagement point of the locking levers.

These days, I pack the tools I may need for tightening scopes, action screws and other items with me so the LaRue quick detach levers aren't as much of an advantage unless you are traveling light.

I don't have a preference unless you are going to leave the scope on one rifle and don't see taking it off.  In that case I would get the NF mount and be done with it.  One caveat.  I have traveled with a rifle once by airliner.  Even though my gear was packed and locked in a Pelican case, I was tempted to remove the scope and take it with my carry-on bag packed in its own Pelican case but, in the end, didn't.  That might be a good use case for the LaRue QD mount.

You can't go wrong with any of those choices.

Henryrifle

P.S. You are going to love the TAC A1!

Reply #23
I really like the Burris rings with the inserts that allow adjusting the MOA slant. I have a set on my RPR even though it came with a factory 20MOA rail. I have another set on my Browning
Thank you,
Steve

Reply #24
I know this post is probably dead but I wanted to address your issue. I had a 20 MOA rail made for mine.

I am selling a 20 MOA rail specifically to fit the TAC A1 model.  $240 shipped and insured to the lower 48. Send a message if interested.
Note: look at my prior posts for pictures of the rail.