Hornady Headspace Comparator

Started by Trick, March 27, 2016, 10:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trick

I'm to the point in my young reloading career where I'm taking more time in case prep, make precise measurements and I picked up the above tool without doing my due diligence. I assumed (ASS out of U and ME) that the Hornady gauge would be the tool for their caliber. It appears in further research that some suggest the  D-.400 and others the C-.375 insert.

Intend to use it with new fire formed brass and just to bump the shoulders back .002. My thought process might be wrong on this, but I would assume in a relative manner that I don't even really need to know an exact measurement overall with this gauge, only the measurement of the shoulder set back? Reason I mention this is that there is a consensus out there that the tolerances on this particular tool vary from tool to tool on guys that have taken time to measure the same bushing from different sets.

Probably overthinking this like always......appreciate any input and clarification you can give.

Tripleduce

Trick
I do a lot fo precision reloading as i'am a short range Brench Rest shooter.
I also use the Hornaday Gage's. Use the one that says it's for the .270 as that one matches the closest to the known datum on the shoulder of the 6.5. Due to tol. There probably are differences from gage to gage. Just use the same gage all the time.
I engage mine so I can tell them apart.

Ben
Tact is when you tell someone to go to Hell in such a manner <br>that they will enjoy the journey.         Winston Churchill

rardoin

Trick, you are correct in assuming it is relative to pre and post sizing.  I use the 0.400 datum line as it is near the middle of the shoulder as the .375 is near the base of the neck.  Does it matter?  I'll leave that opinion for the experts.

Rob01

Hornady says either will work so pick one and use it.

dadajack

SAAMI specifies the datum line for the 6.5 Creedmoor at 0.400". Whatever you do, pick one and stay consistent. I use the 400.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

Trick

Thanks for the information everyone. This clears everything up.

JChan

Trick,
I also use the Hornady headspace comparators along with their bullet comparators. Not sure if you have this, but here's a link to their anvil. It seems like it helps getting the cartridge base squared onto the micrometer and makes it a little easier for some consistent measurements. I Think it's definitely worth the $15.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/584824/hornady-lock-n-load-bullet-comparator-anvil-base-kit

Trick

I do not. Midway was out. Ordered off of Amazon. Came out to $19 and some change which was about the exact same price as Midway since their $5 shipping made it the same price. Great suggestion......Smart group of guys here. Thanks for the help.

rardoin

Quote from: JChan on March 27, 2016, 11:46:14 PMTrick,
I also use the Hornady headspace comparators along with their bullet comparators. Not sure if you have this, but here's a link to their anvil. It seems like it helps getting the cartridge base squared onto the micrometer and makes it a little easier for some consistent measurements. I Think it's definitely worth the $15.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/584824/hornady-lock-n-load-bullet-comparator-anvil-base-kit

Josh, the Hornady system is designed to work with the anvil that holds the specific insert you choose, no to be used with the inserts only.  It can be used as such but, as you note, it is much easier and more reproducible to use as designed.

Also I suggest buying the bullet comparator inserts also to get cartridge base to ogive measurements so you know where your loaded bullet sits in respect to the lands.

eas1949

If you havent already purchased your CBTO and headspace compareter this is worth looking at.  The Redding instant indicator is now available in the Creed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd0o7lMYxAM

Eric
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

dadajack

Quote from: eas1949 on March 28, 2016, 11:55:45 AMIf you havent already purchased your CBTO and headspace compareter this is worth looking at.  The Redding instant indicator is now available in the Creed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd0o7lMYxAM

Eric

Do something with that bench! It is frighteningly clean! Almost... pathologically clean.

eas1949

Dadajack,

Thats not my bench!    My bench= 1/clean!!

Here is 1/2 of the pigpen.  ( wife's words)

NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

rardoin

That's more like it...I was beginning to get a bit embarrased ;) .

dadajack

Thank God Eric! I thought it impossible you were missing that part of your brain that helps us keep our work areas in perfect orientations to be absolutely the most efficient use of space, various stages of "put away" or instant availability (I like to call it that), and just dirty enough to make the woman sigh when she walks by it and you are not currently using all the stuff that is ready to be used.

dadajack

Here's my little piece of heaven, after I "cleaned" and reorganized it this weekend. It really did need it though. I got tired of dropping things on my scales, and knocking various items over that I like having stood on end. This is as clean as it gets for me. And that's clean enough. Limited workspace, as you can see.

My headspace gauge is on the calipers, so this post is relevant.  8)