News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

NUCLEUS BOLT ACTION

Started by Wilson1911, January 21, 2018, 11:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilson1911

snip frm the thread on the hide.

The ONLY difference is the front piece of the barloc. The SAVAGE PREFIT style has a barrel nut. The back end of the barrel nut has a corresponding taper to the inner ring of the Barloc.
Action ---> Tapered ring ---> Barloc clamp ---> Savage style nut with tapered rear end---> savage prefit barrel

The other setup uses two of the same tapered rings that butt up against flat surfaces---- Your action face, and a shoulder on a barrel.
Action ---> Tapered ring ---> Barloc Clamp ---> tapered ring ---> shouldered barrel

ETA: The thread pitch and diameter is the same for both setups, obviously because it has to thread into your action. What does change is the outside diameter of the barrel. Savage prefits max outside diameter is the major diameter of the 1.0625x20tpi threads, i.e. just a little under 1-1/16" diameter. Most shouldered barrels are 1.200-1.250" in diameter, so what Bohem is talking about is he ordered a shitload of 1.200" blanks to make prefits for SHOULDERED setups, and can't just switch the order after it's processed and production on the blanks has begun to get 1.063" blanks to make the savage prefit style barrels. If you go buy a savage prefit barrel, you always need the barrel nut because there's no provision for a shoulder.

If you buy a 1.200-1.250" blank you're better off going shouldered.

Thread: last page has correct info.

https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/hands-on-origin-nucleus-at-shot.6869289/
I am not the biggest, nor the fastest.  I will not fall short or stray off my target. I am a surgical instrument, who lives in the X ring. I am the 6.5 Creedmoor with deadly precision.

flyer

It seems like PVA ordered a bunch of blanks and ARC pre-sold a lot of Barlocs.

The shoulder thing seems like Ted doing PVA a favor because PVA customers thought they could have both a Barloc and a John Hancock style PVA pre-fit barrel.

I have to imagine that the barrel nut version will be an option (and probably default) for people who ordered as we have a reasonable expectation to get the product as described.

flyer

I got my barrel.  It's going to be hard waiting for my action and Barloc.

I was supposed to get my brake today but even though Silencer Shop says they have my brake in stock, they don't.  I paid more than direct from Thunder Beast trying to get it soon (Thunder Beast is out too) so I'm a bit pissed.

I was going to screw on my brake as a thread protector but that's not happening.  Luckily I have a 5/8-24 thread protector that isn't currently in use.  It stands just proud of the crown when hand tight so my barrel is protected but I would rather have my brake.

I got my trigger and my trigger shoe.  They both look nice but I think the Sensive is designed for a thinner trigger bar.  It clamps on but seems easy to push sideways even after it is torqued pretty well.  I'm thinking I might try carbidizing the bar to create some tooth.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to test a Timney without an action?

flyer

Silencer Shop replied to my email, my brake is three weeks out according to them but their web site still shows in stock.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to ask for an RMA in 22 days.

sharpdoug

Quote from: Wilson1911 on January 30, 2018, 12:48:19 PMI actually got the 223 and mag bolt face.....so this forces me into trying new calibers.

Doug, the 6x47L is super sweet. I run mine on IMR4451 with HVLD's 105. It's a kitty Kat to shoot. Why did you choose the 47 over the 6 creed ? The 47's can be finicky to tune or the 6 creeds. But, both shoot extremely well.
the reason I went with 6x47 is I'm already shooting a 6Creedmoor.  Currently my favorite rifle.  Found 41.6gr. of H4350 goes 2995fps no signs os pressure and groups nicely.  Looking forward to trying 6x47 from Josh.  My 6.5x47 arrives today from H&H Precision.  I'll shoot that for awhile then the 6x47.  More guns just makes sense.

flyer

So this is getting all messed up.

The barrel I ordered came in a box marked 6.5CM but it contained a 6.5*284 barrel.  I got an RMA number and sent it back for exchange but they are not going to get me the barrel I ordered and just refund me instead.

For consolation they gave me a 5% off coupon which is funny given that I used a demo price and 10% off coupon for the original order.

Any way, I'm reaching out to Proof to see if they can help me out.

On another note, I got a shipping notice from the Silencer Shop, hopefully it will contain what I ordered...

flyer

It was a good move to contact Proof.

They have fixed the problem and then some.

I'm not quite sure when I'll have a barrel yet but they will tell me when they know.

Cold Trigger Finger

Who's Proof ??
 Good that they are taking care of you.
 This is the reason I buy factory rifles. Not patient enough for that kind of foolishness.
 I was real mellow when I had 1 rifle built and the Smith mailed it to me 3rd class mail. Didn't get it for 6 weeks and it only had to go 600 miles . all inside Alaska. No tracking or nothing.

Anyway.  Why did u choose the Nucleus instead of the Mausingfield?
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Danbonzo

Quote from: Cold Trigger Finger on April 13, 2018, 05:31:37 PMWho's Proof ??
 Good that they are taking care of you.
 This is the reason I buy factory rifles. Not patient enough for that kind of foolishness.
 I was real mellow when I had 1 rifle built and the Smith mailed it to me 3rd class mail. Didn't get it for 6 weeks and it only had to go 600 miles . all inside Alaska. No tracking or nothing.

Anyway.  Why did u choose the Nucleus instead of the Mausingfield?

Proof Research
RIP Chris Cornell

Cold Trigger Finger

If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

flyer

Well, the Nucleus pre-order was $750 cheaper than a Mausingfield.

I don't think the integral recoil lug or keyed scope rail are worth that extra expense.

I like the idea of a three lug controlled round feed.  I also like the fact that the bolt body is not larger than the bolt lugs like some three lug actions.

The bolt stop looks nice too.

Beyond that, I don't think there is much difference in functionality or quality.

The Barlock can be had on either but the combination of parts I want will allow me to assemble a match grade rifle without an action wrench, barrel vise or work bench, just an inch-pound torque wrench, headspace guages, a few hex and torx bits.

This allows me to cut the gunsmith out of the equation and get better parts instead.  It also allows me to change it up without a gunsmith.  Instead of buying a second rifle, I can buy a Savage take-off barrel in .308 if I want to shoot up my Surplus 7.62*51.  Re-zeroing sucks so I wouldn't do it often but the option is nice.

Cold Trigger Finger

The difference is the rotating extractor.
 For some of us that is a make or break deal.
 But target shooters like the reduced arc of the bolt handle. I'm happy with 90 °  Which is a must for a non rotating extractor.

Danbonzo

So who dropped the ball on you Flyer, Optics Planet?
RIP Chris Cornell

flyer

As far as I know, it was them.  After I requested an RMA, I asked them to find the right 6.5 Creedmoor barrel which was probably in a 6.5*284 box.  They didn't respond to that one way or another.

After they received the return and spent a day or two "processing it", then they told me that there would be a refund instead of an exchange.

Who knows where the mistake was made, maybe OP was just a middle man selling someone else's demo and they got it in the wrong box?

Maybe someone is going to try to stuff a 6.5*284 in to a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel that they thought was a 6.5*284.

Once I've got the right barrel I'm going to quit thinking about it.

Litehiker

I'm late to this party but, owning a Browning A-Bolt, an RPR and an RAP I'm a big fan of 3 lug bolts. This Nucleus action looks very good and has a lot of good ideas.

My Rem.-actioned HS Precision .300 Win mag target rifle may "want" this action.  8)

The proof will be in the accuracy and durability of the action. One also needs a great barrel to test this action.

Eric B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."