News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

riddle me this ole wise one's

Started by gman47564, December 08, 2018, 02:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman47564

Lol my. No sticking with the nosler cases. Everything is as it should be with them.
Grant

DHuffman

I ran those speeds on my shooter app out to 2000 yards. In the chart it has 1630 yards @ 1079.7 fps hi-lited.

I've always thought 1340 FPS is entering into transonic speeds and below 1130 was sub sonic so first am I wrong on those speeds and second why did the app hilite 1079.7 @ 1630 yards? Anyone? 
Dave

mnbogboy

Quote from: gman47564 on December 09, 2018, 11:50:30 AMLol my. No sticking with the nosler cases. Everything is as it should be with them.
Glad it is working for you.
Does this episode give Dave a chance to start on the Hornady brass again?..oh ya..he found some that shot for him too!
All kidding aside, maybe Hornady will look at the brass and determine if it was indeed too soft.  I worked up a load (6.5/284) for my son's BIL last winter and had both Hornady & Nosler brass for it.
Would hate to think now that I quit way to early as I worked up because of brass issues. I know it was slow in a weather warrior (ended up in the 2850 bracket).  Shot about 1/2" he was happy.  But it makes you wonder.
Oh well, keep shootin
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

gman47564

dave my applied ballistic app has it going sub sonic at 1510 with mv of 1114fps... at one mile... ( 1760 yards) its giving mv of 1004 fps...
Grant

DHuffman

Quote from: gman47564 on December 09, 2018, 12:36:55 PMdave my applied ballistic app has it going sub sonic at 1510 with mv of 1114fps... at one mile... ( 1760 yards) its giving mv of 1004 fps...

I'm showing 1012 at a mile and it's highlighting 1080 @ 1630 yards but I don't know why it's highlighting it. 
Dave

paulj2

Quote from: 6.5savageguy on December 09, 2018, 12:03:51 PMI ran those speeds on my shooter app out to 2000 yards. In the chart it has 1630 yards @ 1079.7 fps hi-lited.

I've always thought 1340 FPS is entering into transonic speeds and below 1130 was sub sonic so first am I wrong on those speeds and second why did the app hilite 1079.7 @ 1630 yards? Anyone? 

Finally, something I can help with. The speed of sound is highly dependent on temperature. According to an app at the national weather service at 100 degrees F speed of sound is 1159 FPS, at 0 degrees F speed of sound is 1050 FPS. Here is the address:

https://www.weather.gov/epz/wxcalc_speedofsound
Paul

gman47564

thanks paul... I didn't know that...
Grant

DHuffman

@paulj2

Thanks for that, I just refreshed the app and now the speed of sound reads 1075.3 and it's now 26* vs 30* on the earlier reading.
Dave

Danbonzo

What about spring back? Do you think it possible brass was over annealed?
RIP Chris Cornell

gman47564

I don't know dan.. brand new brass had never been fired.... I ran it partialy in a Hornady fl sizer to straighten the mouth up on them from shipping and everything felt fine doing that and seating a bullet... this morning when I fired the last one that got stuck I thought I would just leave it in the chamber and let everything cool down and see if that made a difference but it didn't... still had to knock it out of the chamber...it makes absolutely no sence to me.. any thing and everything you can measure on a case checks out fine with them... but yet they stick in there... and I don't mean just barely... it takes 4 or 5 pretty good licks with a mallet to break it loose...
Grant

Ranger 188

I'm sure you measured the Hornady case before and after firing
at the neck shoulder junction and half way down the shoulder
to the base. Then compared it to the Nosler
It only takes a few thousands to make a tight case become sticky.
Did you trim a case and then try it.
Grant, every time you stick something foreign
down the barrel and smack it, your running the risk of damaging
the barrel or crown.  Just call it a day and don't try to figure out,
not worth it. Along time ago I figured that out.  Cost me a relatively
new barrel.   :o

gman47564

I checked it all Gregg and rechecked it ten more times...lol.. their was a couple areas that were .0005 difference but in them areas the Hornady was smaller... I wont be loading any more of that batch... I will chalk that one up to a unsolved mystery even though it will bug the shit out of me for awhile not being able to figure out what the problem is...
Grant

DHuffman

I've put a lot of thought into it since we talked yesterday Grant and I have to believe the metallurgy in that batch of brass is bad. I think it's soft enough that it's over expanding and not getting sufficient spring back.

Of course that's my opinion worth exactly what you paid for it.
Dave

gman47564

it very well could be that dave...
Grant

DHuffman

Quote from: gman47564 on December 09, 2018, 07:46:12 PMit very well could be that dave...

Regardless you & Greg are right, toss it in the trash before it causes you a real problem.
Dave